Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

MORE PLEASANT LAPPING

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

MORE PLEASANT LAPPING

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 am

DSC_0036.JPG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ALTERNATIVE TO FIRE LAPPING

For those that don’t have the convenience of being able to just shoot out of their back door.

If someone would ask me my most pleasant way that I have lapped a barrel, I would say like this....which is true.
I made these maybe 15 years ago...maybe 20 or so. These are just some that I didn’t use. Well, one looks used.
I made some leather laps like pictured, they still have the thread on them that I used to hold the leather on until the glue dried.
With me there was a lot of DIY. Otherwise one may just find an old shoe tongue for the leather. I shot a deer. I have a black powder rifle. I made the cast lead bullet. I made the Black Powder. My wife skinned the deer. We ate the deer. I had the hide tanned. I didn’t ask my wife to skin the deer, she just said, hey can I try that. And she later skinned a big 4 point bull elk. She was/is a country girl. I have a wide selection of lapping and polishing grits. I mixed the grits with a variety of liquids trying different things, water, mineral oil, old hand lotion, which I finally decided was nice to work with, the old hand lotion. Lately I have been fire lapping, I guess just because it is quicker. But as I say the most pleasant...I could set here in the house and hand lap and check with a bore light as I went along...it does just as good a job and one gets a feeling of more control. It just takes longer. By the way, one can get a more and better variety of polishing compounds at a lapidary shop than with that JB stuff.

So...in retrospect it was ‘nicer’ to do it in the house. ...hand lap with my little leather laps. That is the way that I did a lot. I will try fire lapping with my wooden dowel bullets just to see how that goes.
Years ago when I didn’t know any better, I tried the poured lead in the muzzle with the steel rod, to me that was one big mess and I sure will not ever do that again.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”