Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

TO EACH HIS OWN

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

TO EACH HIS OWN

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 pm

SCOPES-----I have seen all kinds of advice and details for scope buying. To me, one of the most ridicules is to spend at least half to equal of that of the rifle’s cost on the scope. Sure, when one looks through a 3,700 dollar Zeiss, thinks WOW, that sure looks good, and it does. And if one doesn’t have to worry about putting food on the table, buy it. It will empress the guys at the range, maybe. Some may think, ‘That guy doesn’t have a lick of sense’. But everything is relative. Is that Leopold really any better in putting the cross hairs on the bulls eye?
I understand that these expensive military scopes are made for quick learning for a new shooter with all of the adjustments. I also know that the military thinks much differently on economics . They have a bottomless money bucket. And....and. their resume reads better on the more money that they spend and (waste). The very first thing on a management resume is their annual budget responsibility. I am a Department of Defense retiree, I should know.
In 1956 I was at a BIG 5 store and looked through a Monoscope and thought that this sure looks clear and bought it, $5.95. All of these years I have thought that it was on pare with my Weaver V8 scope. It was Japanese and only made for a few years after the war. A while back I happen to see a couple of used Monscopes on eBay, for 15 dollars or so, and bought them both. And this just got me into a scope buying mode. Years ago an old Navy retiree told me that all one needs to gauge rifle scope quality is a piece of news paper. Take two scopes of the same power and walk away from this news paper. And of course one will look more clear than the other at distance. Here are some of the scopes that I bought on this scope buying spree....and just guess which one or in this case two beat all of the rest with this test. And every one of these 'used' scopes look 'As new'...some show evidence of mounting.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

dmg4
United States of America

Re: TO EACH HIS OWN

#2 Post by dmg4 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm

There is a law of diminishing returns that applies to rifle scopes, like many items. I do think a scope like the current VX-1 series from Leupold are a cut above the lower priced alternatives from other makers, and they do have a lifetime guarantee and great customer support and service. At around $200 to $400 for most models, that's a far cry from the Steiners and Zeiss top models, and that's why I own several of them. I'll be handing them down to my grandchildren.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: TO EACH HIS OWN

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 pm

I was just tonight looking at a used Steiner on eBay and it looks tempting but dog gone it, I sure don't need another scope. And I have never looked through a Steiner.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”