Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WHY NOT

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

WHY NOT

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 am

OUT OF THE BOX
I just thought of something. I have always looked at the bore surface as I go along fire lapping a bore and saw that the lands were getting lapped more and quicker than the grooves. That’s why I would shudder at the thought of using jacketed bullets for fire lapping, and use only pure soft lead. Why not use something softer than lead and really give those lands a break – try to equal things out. Why do we use lead----because everyone just has it in their heads that bullets are usually made of lead...so we use lead. So....as I am setting here having my first morning cup of coffee I am looking at the bare branches of an apple tree. NO.....apple tree bullets would be too much trouble. BUT...Wooden Dowels ....ready made and come in different sizes. When I buy dowels I usually check them with a finger nail on the edges to get the harder ones...I can pick out the softer ones just as well. Heck, I could use any and not see any difference. I am convinced without even trying them. Mop the bore with my compound...round off the fore ends a bit to press that compound into the riflings and lap away. I’ll bet that this will work slicker than owl snot.
Elementary Watson....
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”