Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Hit-n-Miss

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

Hit-n-Miss

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Trivia, Trivia - Just in passing, is there anyone on this forum that owns their own plane. If so I can tell you how to make it more safe to fly. I say OWN, because this mod can only be made on one’s own plane legally. The FAA says that on the average there are 5 deaths per day in the states in Light Aircraft, and I could guess that maybe half of these are due to one particular problem. I would safely say that 99 + percent of plane owners don’t realize this. I have contacted the FAA office in Oklahoma and they being a political organization, and I say completely political, don’t want to look into it. They referred me to the Western Regional Safety Officer in Denver and the guy in charge said that he had over 10,000 hours. And he was so out of it I wouldn’t even think that he would be safe to fly with.
I use to own a plane and I had this problem twice and luckily got out of it, the situation, not the plane. And it took me a while to figure it out. In one day, one day, I came close to killing myself 5 times because of it, the last time it happened. Now don’t try to fool me about owning a plane because I can soon tell with just a few questions.
But this mod that I made a prototype of can cost any where from say 2 or 3 dollars to up as high and fancy as one would like. But one can make a really good one for say 25 to 50 dollars. I can’t legally install these on anyone’s plane. But as I say as far as I know anyone who owns their own plane can do it, them selves...at least they use to be able to. I can’t even make it for you and let you install it. Now I can tell you how and show you what to do, I am assuming. On my plane I made my own updated radio – perfectly legal and could do most maintenance.

I just thought of this again today because of the Navy’s C2 lose incident that is currently on the news. It was pointed out that the last deadly crash of this type aircraft was in 1973. And that evening before about 10 in the evening we were having a drink in a coworker’s apartment right across from mine and he said that he had to go catch a flight to the Connie, USS Constellation, and it was on one of these C2 Cods, and it went off their radar about five miles from the ship on Yankee Station. On a pervious incident of one of these same planes with a sailor I worked with was on one and the same thing happened but the pilot was able to pull it out before it hit the water. As he said, the fellow setting next to him was saying, “Yep, we are going to die”. He got out of the Navy and went on to be a CEO of Continental Airlines, Gordon Bethune. I use to work on the C2-A version of the same plane. I said C2 in another post...I left off the ‘A’. The A’s are the ones with the pancake type antennae on top. There may be some sailors that are familiar with all of this. I say that there may be a same cause that was at fault on all three, It was said that the first two were the the same problem... and that was a weak transmission for the engine to prop, and it might have been. Grumman’s fix was to make it a little stronger. But we don’t know what this last problem may have been.
By the way, I assume that any pilot understands and can verify the veracity of this...with a whole lot of ‘IFs’. When I say that I could probable fly any plane....some big if’s, the runways are ten miles long, there is some one else putting all of the switches and controls in the right places, from the very beginning, that some one else is doing the right things all of the time and ready to take over with the slightest problem and all I would have to do was, just use the throttles, the yoke or stick and foot peddles to fly the plane...huh. I know, that’s a stretch.
Most I would guess that in all of the commercial aircraft in the air at any one time, most would not realize this but there would be a bunch of co-pilots that have never flown the plane before, and here they are, suppose to be able to take over if the the pilot becomes incapacitated for any reason. These planes are too expensive to operate to let copilots be taken up just for their familiarity without passengers. Any pilot that will get into the right seat for the first time will typically just have a couple of weeks in a simulator. And full pilots will typically just get a couple of weeks in a simulator going to a new plane. Now with military pilots this is a different situation.

Again, anywho – did everyone have their turkey dinner and is now just setting around sipping left over wine?

OLDGUNNER
United States of America

Re: Hit-n-Miss

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:29 am

Hi – One may wonder why I may be so cautious in an aircraft’s repair and modifications. The feds get involved with their legalese and the liabilities come in. For example, one can change the spark plug in their own aircraft’s engine but they can’t do the same on other’s aircraft, without a Federal license called an A&P License ( Airframe & Powerplant). Maintenance and modifications are restricted to ‘Light maintenance’ for the aircraft owner’s plane. The owner can change his own engine oil or spark plug but not a piston or burnt valve. Even though the owner can do some things, they can’t tell the owner of another plane ‘How to’ do it without this license, (grey area). The FAA has the authority to make Judgment calls.
Modifications....There is what is called ‘Weight and Balance’ checks and restrictions. I forget the specific weight restrictions but it is not much, maybe 4 or 5 pounds, for light aircraft, I have forgotten, where if changes are made exceeding this amount in adding or subtracting or moving on the aircraft, it has to be checked and approved by the A&P licensee. So if I happen to ‘tell’ someone how to make an illegal change to their aircraft, depending on some federal prosecutors whims, theoretically I could go to a federal prison. Some aircraft owner may ‘tell me’ that he will comply with restrictions and don’t, I could be in trouble...that’s the reason for the caution. That is the reason that I could make and install a VHF Transceiver to replace an old Low Frequency type in ‘My’ aircraft. But, I violated federal rules quite often, for example I would fly into nice looking clouds just to practice blind maneuvering. That is one reason for the aircraft deadly accidents – the pilot doesn’t practice enough for unforeseen incidents.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”