Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

MODEL 9422

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

MODEL 9422

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Just something with the Winchester 9422, they all seem to have this trouble as mine, per a friendly gunsmith. The ejector will not engage all types of .22 Rim Fire cases properly when ejecting fired cases.
He told me his fix – I did it and it has not malfunctioned since. This was 20 years ago so as I remember, just take the ejector out and it will be straight. Bend it with two pair of pliers, so to have better control, and put just a little bend in it so as to cause the ejector to fit tighter against the case and that is it.
Another problem that I had was the little rubber ‘O’ ring was too thin that held in the magazine rod and it would fall out. I had an ‘O’ ring kit from Harbor Freight and I just used a heavier ‘O’ ring, and It is still working after 20 years.
This is my favorite little grouse gun. We have Blue Grouse here and they just fly up the nearest tree. They are always just feeding on the ground. Once in a while some will just run along on the ground. Except the ones that want to go to bed early and they are in the trees well before dark.
But some people will blow the crap out of them with a shot gun.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: MODEL 9422

#2 Post by sowbelle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I guess I have a special rifle as I have never suffered from any of the problems with my 9422.
I love that rifle and have probably put 5000 rounds through it. and it has had all kinds, types and brands of ammo and nary a hiccup.
My dad bought this rifle in the late sixties at a flea market in Oakland CA.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 pm

CALIFORNIA FLEA MARKET - I was never there in Pomona, at the Flea market. A friend told me about, it specialized in stolen goods, stolen the night before from home burglaries to warehouse break-ins, with good prices. What a deal,huh.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 pm

DSC_0002.JPG
Model 9422 troubles
For those that do have troubles with their Model 9422’s, these were my first attempt at a solution – they didn’t work for me.
Some .22 rifles have trouble with feeding the shorts. And CCI has at least two solutions for this, the CB Longs and their .22 Long Rifle Quiet. It looks like their CB’s, CB shorts, CB Longs and Long rifle Quiets are all about the same with velocity and so forth and I think the same grain bullet, 29.
And as their ads say, you should be able to shoot these in a back yard without disturbing the neighbors.
The only ones of these that I have are the CB Longs and they are ideal for me with my grouse shooting. They tear up the grouse less than the regular Shorts. There are no quail around here but I can see where they should be okay for the Gamble Quail where they usually just run along in front of you. Not so with the Bob White type...I don’t know right now what they are called.
When I lived in California and Arizona I just used the regular shorts where I only saw the Gamble type.
When I was kid in Minnesota, It was lot easier to get the Ruffed Grouse with the .22 than a shotgun.....because, when flushed by a dog the grouse would just fly up into the nearest tree. If I didn’t have the dog, they would fly out of sight.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Okay, one source... The Bob White Quail is a ‘Northern Bob White’, which can also be called, the ‘Virginia Quail’, or just ‘Bob White Quail’, with 21 Subspecies. And are sexually dimorphic. Ah, bet you always wanted to know that.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... em.265559/
===================================
Okay, this is just a sample of the questions on the web about the extraction problems with the 9422. Just GOOGLE '9422 Problems' and see all of the problems and comments.
I didn't read all of them but I didn't read a single solution that mentioned bending the extractor a little. How can so many people, that should be more knowledgeable, not realize this and how things work?
I know, with me I was lucky when a friendly gunsmith told me his fix. I had just set it aside and not bothered to look into it. One would think that Winchester should have realized their mistake and fixed the problem. An example of 'Good help is hard to find', even at Winchester.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”