Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How many hours of work to make a Mauser Receiver

Forum for rifles not listed
indy1919a4
United States of America

How many hours of work to make a Mauser Receiver

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37 pm

I realize that arms manufacturers will make parts in batches and then assemble them.

Also there are some examples that I read about like the Radom factory & Czech factories being taken over
with large stocks of receivers captured and then used to assemble new rifles...

So I ask.. How many man hours did it take to make a Mauser Receiver (unfinished of course) ???

And how come so many receivers were made ahead of time..??? I am assuming that the creation receiver is the real bottleneck
in a rifles production???

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

Re: How many hours of work to make a Mauser Receiver

#2 Post by Reverend Mauser » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

I realize this post is from some time ago, but I'd throw in a few thoughts. I can't tell you exact time, but do know it was fairly time consuming and expensive to make a Mauser. I understand it required a lot of milling.

A later anecdote: I understand that post-WWII, Savage Arms designed its Model 110 to be made with much use of the lathe to reduce labor/production costs over guns in the Mauser tradition that needed more use of the milling machine.

Incidentally, this relates to a question that has long puzzled me: how long to make a Mauser compared a Mosin-Nagant. The Russians stayed with the basic M91 design without any serious changes till replacing bolt guns entirely. I suspect its related to manufacturing capability.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

indy1919a4
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Many thanks for posting, Those k98s look nice off the assembly line..

I do personally like the German Newsreels during WW II they are very rousing

bobvz
United States of America

#5 Post by bobvz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 pm

indy1919a4 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37 pm
I realize that arms manufacturers will make parts in batches and then assemble them.

Also there are some examples that I read about like the Radom factory & Czech factories being taken over
with large stocks of receivers captured and then used to assemble new rifles...

So I ask.. How many man hours did it take to make a Mauser Receiver (unfinished of course) ???

And how come so many receivers were made ahead of time..??? I am assuming that the creation receiver is the real bottleneck
in a rifles production???
Not so many years ago Remington was importing and selling M98 copies (complete hunting rifles) from Yugoslavia. They were retailing between $600-$700. Likely they were made on CNC machines and then hand assembled. Back in the day they would have been milled on single purpose machine tools manned by one person one step at a time. I'm guessing there were at least 100 separate operations required to produce a receiver ready for fitting. Also guessing at 6 minutes per operation that would be 600 minutes or around 10 man hours per receiver. Labor was real cheap in those days and thousands were employed in gun making. I presume other parts such as barrels and bolts were made ahead of time but if you were in the business of making rifles of different calibers for varied clientele it only makes sense that you would make up a stock of receivers that could be fitted to any standard caliber. Probably omitting the milling for feed rails and receiver stamps. 10 man hours today would run around $750-$1,000 or more for a receiver in the USA.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#6 Post by Reverend Mauser » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Labor was real cheap in those days

10 man hours today would run around $750-$1,000 or more for a receiver in the USA.
That's one of the reasons the commercial manufacturers started changing up on the guns they made post-WWII. Labor costs went up with unions emerging in the New Deal and WWII. Savage designed the model 110, Remington the model 700. It was related to why Winchester changed the Model 70 in 1964.

I remember reading not long ago some custom gun maker commenting that a model 98 would easily cost $2000 to make today.

miniwini
United States of America

#7 Post by miniwini » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 am

Thanks man, I didn't know that there is old videos about making K-98 Mauser :D
I like it :D
Great piece of history for sure.

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”