Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Buying first surplus rifle, what to look for

Forum for rifles not listed
72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Buying first surplus rifle, what to look for

#16 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep, that is a fact. A lot of tall tales are told to peddle a rifle or pistol, especially when it has been altered by adding fake markings or the import mark was removed.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Buying first surplus rifle, what to look for

#17 Post by ffuries » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Note, be sure to understand how to use a no-go gauge, go gauge, muzzle gauge etc. They are great tools WHEN you know how to use them. I see so many posts on the various firearm forums, where people are confused with the results, or on how to use them etc.

A little knowledge goes a long way, and is a powerful tool. Learning what is correct, what's missing, whether the missing parts are hard/easy or cheap/expensive to acquire.

Another point, I have this forum and several other gun forums saved to my phone. Why you ask. Well they have a wealth of information put on them by people, like 72 USMC, that are a great resource when looking at something you know little about. I can pull them up at a gunshow or gun store and do quick research to base my decision as to whether I should buy or not.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”