Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

Forum for rifles not listed
boltactionbill
United States of America

Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

#1 Post by boltactionbill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:59 am

We went to the Middletown NY gun show yesterday and I'm still dizzy from the prices I saw.
When did a run of the mill round receiver 91/30 become worth $600?
A drilled and tapped eliminating it's build date BSA No5 jungle carbine that was orange inside from
the flash hider to the bolt face become worth $750? Beat up and worn down Krag's for $2300!
Rough rusted and mismatched M1917's starting at $850, 1903 A1's for $900 and up 03-A3's $795 and up!
Mismatched beat up and RC K98's starting at $750 running to over $1200 if it still had a little bluing?
A so rusted the bolt wouldn't open Arasaka with dust cover and mum for $425?
A very rough 1915 Enfield No1 with mismatched bolt and no visible rifling for $800!!!
Carcano's with cut down stocks for $350? Yugo M48's for $450?
A good condition but nothing special AC42 P38 for $1400 and an ok looking wartime Hi Power for $1700!!!
A non original box of 20 corroded 1943 headstamped Argentine Mauser ammo for $45?
A wartime box of 32 1941 headstamped 303's for $125!

There were a few bargains on reloading stuff and older commercial boxed ammo that I did take advantage of when I found them.
There were absolutely no bargains to be had on firearms. Even used commercial hunting rifles were crazy overpriced.

What happened to this hobby? It seems instead of being run by enthusiasts it's been handed over to the profiteers!
Now I understand why younger generations are not getting into this hobby, it's just too damn expensive. - Bill

luigi
United States of America

Re: Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

#2 Post by luigi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Gun shows are insane....unless you have more money than brains!

I go just to get my exercise and look for weird parts, scarce ammo, or a "rare bargain "

Ernest T
United States of America

#3 Post by Ernest T » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm

I've found the best bargains at gun shows are the guys with one or two guns to sell out of the trunk of their cars or walking around the show with a sign hanging off the gun. Occasionally a decent deal on ammo to be found, and I've found accessories on occasion at a good price, mainly because the guys selling them didn't really know what the going value was. Many of the older dealers that show up at every show seem to be there more for socializing with their buddies than actually trying to sell anything.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#4 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

I saw the same kind of outrageous prices when I visited my old army buddy in who-ston, texico. example; a beat up and dragged behind a truck down a 3 mile gravel road 1903A3 for 1800 bucks. I know why those prices are like that, there are people living down there with more money then any brains . what with BP money and NASA money flowing

BTW, for a texico gun show, it was pathetic, very small and nothing good. just stupidity over prices junk guns ie. like the 1903A3 as well as other.

the shows that are up here in NE ohio put that texico show to utter shame. far more variety and you can find deals if you look and negotiate with the vendor. down there, those people find it insulting that you would even consider getting a POS gun for less then the asking price.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#5 Post by FamilyFirearms » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am

Wow, that is crazy!

We do shows but do not change prices wherever we go. Around here, some people do that depending on shows. We have to sell stuff and pay bills! We have a to of stuff instock at the moment.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

Todds stuff is always A1, most stuff I got from him was fair normal price, but way better in condition than I could find by going to ten shows in WI. And 100 times better than Century or Samco would send you. Todd would select 2 out of 100 that he looked at as far as his requirements for quality goes. His word is good as Gold. If you should have a problem he would make it correct. I actually do not know of anyone that had problems. The extra in cash for shipping and FFL transfer is way better than the gas and time spent going to shows or shops if its that one hard to find item. The biggest problem I have had with Todd is the pistols or rifle he sends out is just too good to fire. It goes in the safe or I feel guilty shooting it. Or you spend 10mins trying to open the box because it is packaged so well.

I do find prices in WI at shows generally lower than most shops, but on a top condition specimen Todd can beat the gun show price. And in the last 5 years, cheep surplus goodies in top condition are gone. You only see them when a collection comes to light because the old guy died and the wife /son is selling off the private collection cheep because she wants the stuff gone. And if they end private sales at gun shows, even that type of deal will be gone. Then watch prices rise. What is really funny is too see the dealers buy the stuff from private sale tables and put it on theirs and double the price.

Of late, most WI shows have poor condition surplus guns and/or prices are sky high. I am done buying due to health problems and age. I just go to buy books and BS with friends. But, I just do not see the young 30-40 year olds looking for surplus. The few younger people at shows seem to be into the black rifles or newer pistols for conceal carry. I think the high prices at shows, poor condition surplus examples, and less availability of nice surplus stuff is preventing the younger crowd from collecting. The days of going to shows or stores and going through 20 Mosins or Enfields and having the pick of the litter is gone. Most WI shows got the poor condition rejects and at high prices. If you want a joke go to a Cabelas and look at their used surplus stuff. Prices are nuts. I encounter their clown buyers at the local shows low balling sellers at private sale tables. You do not even get cash, they use a Cabelas store check. Currently, any gun show in WI, will have cheeper prices than the Cabelas in Richfield WI. This can also be on new gun too. The second golden age of surplus 1980s -2009 is over. Now import marks are huge, nasty billboards on the firearms and condition seems to be down. And $350 for a 91/30 Mosin :D :lol: :roll: :roll: I miss the 1990s :violin: :violin:

Also of note, most of my friends that sell guns at shows have two prices: one for ones that they decide by look/appearance, temperment, attitude that it is not wise too sell to as a private sale and those they deem safe/normal. But at small show private sales, the seller wants info. They do not sell to those that do not want to sign a statement indicating if they are not a felon or have a domestic dispute charge and provide their name, phone #, address, and DL number. So I am seeing more surplus for sale as private sales, but no posted price. I got a nice Mas 36 for 85 and a fantastic Enfield P14 for 500 bucks from a lady, but she refused to except offers from dealers and the Cabelas guy because she was selling the collection at what he paid or only slightly higher than what her husband had listed in his book to collectors only-- his wish I guess. So all sorts of odd things are going on at shows due to liability issues.
Since I have no cash, I do better horse trading 2 for one or 1 for 1.

As a warning- the dirt balls that sell guns out of a trunk at shows generally have stuff that's hot. And most large shows to medium shows have police walking around looking for such sellers so they can run a check on the rifle to see if they are hot. Some shows have lists of rare guns that have been ripped off in the local area. Also at most shows the sellers have the pistols tied down to their table and are coded with color stickers for sold items. Most shows ban sales outside of the show in WI. You just bring your gun in, have it safety checked and tagged, then walk around with it and buyers at the show will ask to see it, its price and maybe buy it. All sales are conducted in the show. While walking around the show most sellers at tables ask to buy it. So many ask that it's hard to get around because dealers are asking "what you have for sale& price." if you are smart, never conduct a sale out side. You can make a contact but conduct the transaction inside and get the sellers name & info in case it turns out to be hot. If its too good of a deal use some caution.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hammy
United States of America

#7 Post by Hammy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 pm

I went to a local show 2 weeks ago, basically a waste of time. I saw a Type 38 Arisaka carbine, heavily varnished and crusty, no dust cover and ground mum, asking price $450. A number 4 mark 1, decent shape but the outside of the barrel was pitted, $550. The seller acted like he would of rather been anywhere else then there. I asked to inspect and was told in no uncertain terms that if I wasn't ready to make a serious offer then quit wasting his time. The most active sellers were the guy with the AR lowers and, believe it or not, a guy with a shot-ton of bayonets. I did manage to pick up a few books that are on my "gee I can't live without it" list. It was also obvious that sellers are not showing up, there were several empty tables. Like someone said earlier, it's more like a quarterly get-together for most of the guys who have tables, there were several guys who had displays of nice rifles with Not For Sale tags on them.
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#8 Post by FamilyFirearms » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Hammy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 pm
I went to a local show 2 weeks ago, basically a waste of time. I saw a Type 38 Arisaka carbine, heavily varnished and crusty, no dust cover and ground mum, asking price $450. A number 4 mark 1, decent shape but the outside of the barrel was pitted, $550. The seller acted like he would of rather been anywhere else then there. I asked to inspect and was told in no uncertain terms that if I wasn't ready to make a serious offer then quit wasting his time. The most active sellers were the guy with the AR lowers and, believe it or not, a guy with a shot-ton of bayonets. I did manage to pick up a few books that are on my "gee I can't live without it" list. It was also obvious that sellers are not showing up, there were several empty tables. Like someone said earlier, it's more like a quarterly get-together for most of the guys who have tables, there were several guys who had displays of nice rifles with Not For Sale tags on them.
Here are a couple pics of our last show set up. We like to sell and price everything to sell!
ABEE5EC3-785A-4BAB-876E-F851D79826A3.jpeg
The attachment 28318A3B-E30E-4FF7-8986-C02A34981FF7.jpeg is no longer available

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#9 Post by FamilyFirearms » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 pm

75622E02-C714-46B5-8989-CC95CCDFE892.jpeg
B11C303E-6FE5-4F3F-B562-401BE826B6F3.jpeg

boltactionbill
United States of America

#10 Post by boltactionbill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am

Todd do you ever do any shows on the east coast? It would be refreshing to deal with someone who's honest. - Bill

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#11 Post by FamilyFirearms » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am

We can only sell guns in Ohio per our 01FFL. We could go to other states and sell ammo, accessories,but to sell guns we would have to sell them but come back to the shop and ship them to a FFL or your C&R.

boltactionbill
United States of America

#12 Post by boltactionbill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Ok I didn't know how that worked. Thanks.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#13 Post by FamilyFirearms » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

I think it is silly but what can you do.

I can go anywhere in the country and buy guns though.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#14 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:18 pm

boltactionbill wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am
Todd do you ever do any shows on the east coast? It would be refreshing to deal with someone who's honest. - Bill

well, if you're up to a trip. ohio law has change in march 2015. 01 FFLs can now sell to any resident of the other 49 states, but only rifles and shotguns. handguns still have to be transferred through your state FFL

before march 2015, a ohio 01 FFL could only sell rifles and shogun to residents from the bordering states. not handguns, those have to be transferred to a 01 FFL of the buyers state FFL

http://www.examiner.org/newsx/ohio-news ... t-march-23

Another change for Buckeye gun owners is the repeal of the law which restricted residents to purchasing long guns only in Ohio and bordering states. As of March 23, Ohioans will now be able to purchase long guns – rifles and shotguns – from a federally licensed firearms dealer in any of the 50 states. As well, residents of all other states will now be able to purchase long guns from Ohio dealers. Handgun purchases by an individual, however, are still restricted by federal law to the state in which that person resides.

the other big pluses about that new law is CCW, sheriifs SHALL SIGN NFA paperwork; but that is moot now since a CLEO signature is not needed. they finally, finally did away with that stupid "more then 31 rounds in a magazine makes the gun a automatic weapon"

way before that 31 round nonsense went away, I went around with the morons at AIM SURPLUS. they refused to sell me a 45 round AK74 mag. because they claimed it's against ohio law for thenm to sell it to me. I came back, "there is no law forbidding any ohioian from buying, selling, or having a mag over 30 rounds, you people should know that since you are in the same state as me".

ever since then I refuse to buy anything from those weasels and idiots. F them there are plenty of other companies that I will send my money to
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#15 Post by 72 usmc » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 am

From the last show high prices still dominate. Summer is here and most shows will start again in fall.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”