Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

Forum for rifles not listed
mrbig381
Italy

Re: Gun Shows: When Did Our World Go Nuts?

#16 Post by mrbig381 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 am

Prices at gun shows have reached unbelievable levels. We don't go to them like we did back in the day.
More of a social event than a buying one.

burban89
United States of America

#17 Post by burban89 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am

Somehow here in Mississippi the few surplus rifles there are are reasonably priced. Last one I bought was a beautiful Type I arisaka in full military trim for $150 back in May. I also saw my first RC k98 for sale down here in seven years go for $300 back in April. Now Mosins have become near extinct but the few left are around the $250-$300 range (which is ok since I have my two nice examples: an early round receiver and an old ex-Dragoon high wall sniper with the mount holes filled in). I end up buying every decent arisaka that shows up in original condition since almost all of the local bring backs happen to be arisakas (which makes k98s rarer than hen's teeth here). Prices on those are still reasonable. However there is a huge lack of interest in milsurps in general here with only maybe 10 or so people I am personally aware of that actually collect.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#18 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:22 am

You see less of the 20-35 age bracket interested in military surplus rifles due to high prices, a lack of knowledge in WW I or WW II history, and the end of the movies like Band of brothers, Saving private Ryan, and Pacific that started the " I want an example of that rifle craze" that pushed up prices on the Arisakas, Carcanos, and Mausers when they were around $75-200. It was fun to go to Fleet & Farm stores and look through 20 boxes of Mosins at $79, or the Turks at $59 to pick out a winner in the late 90s. Later there were the Russian SKS with a tin of ammo at $135 at gun shows and then those nice K31s at Dunhams - they generally had 15 on a rack and on Black Friday they were $79 each so we would get to the store at 0600 in order to select the walnut stocks. Heck, no one wanted a dirt ball Carcano or Japanese dog rifle. But the fun days are gone, not too many of the younger group have $500-1000 in extra cash for a single rifle due to student loans, kids, car payments, and other bills with $10 an hour jobs. The dopes went to college just to build up loans and ended up working at Walmart rather than do welding, plumbing, surveying, being a machinist or better yet an electrician. None hunt, few fish, they find firearms alien things, most did not serve in the military. A whole different kind of person than the kids of the post WW II age.

Of late, I go to gun shows to find used gun books, vintage toy soldiers, or military uniforms that are still cheep, and talk to friends. On a retirement basis one has less money to collect one of each type and have a 50 Mosins, one specimen for each year, or be a type collector- one rifle of each type. :shhh: The collections are froze at the levels they were prior to the crazy prices, most of us with health problems are dumping duplicates as trading resources to get other things. Got to thin out the herd. My wife thinks it's nuts for an old guy to buy more books or collect toy soldiers- a new thing for me.

So how many see the 20-35 age bracket at shows?
There seems to be less dads with the kids at the gun shows. It was always neat to see a kid that just had to pick up a rifle and mess with it. Those are the one you just give a mix master to for what ever the kid offers. Just to see the gleam in his or her eye.
Most of the 20-35 group of guys want the black rifle garbage. A few of the younger vets and the women at the shows are into new pistols. But not many really want surplus stuff. However, at the range, the kids at hunter safety still get a kick out of being able to actually shoot a Mosin, Berthier, Mauser or black powder musket. Maybe there is hope.

The reasonable priced rifle are at shows when old guys die and the large collections come out of the wood work because the wife or family wants to get rid of the stuff fast. There idea of fun is not sitting at a gun show to sell off guns. I love the gals that refuse to sell to dealers, or the ones that price the stuff at what the old guy paid back in the day and has written in his log in book. That is when you find a deal. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Or when a friend dies and the wife gives you first choice as gifts or real cheep prior to calling Cabelas buyers :dance: :doh:
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#19 Post by FamilyFirearms » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:43 am

Believe it or not, we see close to half of our gunshow customers in that young age group. A lot of younger guys are really into it around here. I surprises us sometimes when a twenty something pops out a grand or so for a gun.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#20 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am

An interesting perspective, Todd does the Ohio shows still have dads with kids walking around? More of a family thing??? Are your shows grouped with other shows like craft, antique or rummage shows in a different building? When this occurs at some shows the place has more families and new comers to gun shows. I also think too many dealers do not let kids pick up the guns. I understand if its an expensive one, I found when watching friends tables, it is always best to have a dog or two so you can let a kid handle one with dads supervision. If I get drafted to watch a table for a day I bring a common Mosin so it can be handled. If the kid drops it no biggy.

How is the women group, most we see are 30-40 ish looking for conceal carry pistols?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#21 Post by FamilyFirearms » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:20 am

We are a guns show but people do sell shirts and a lot of accessories. Holster dealers also sell belts and such but supposedly gunshow only. There are several father and son groups who both buy surplus guns and a lot of “groups”of young guys walking around who like surplus guns. Still we have a few young guys who are dedicated to collecting and dedicated to coming to us first before walking the show. There is no real “core” demographics for our customers. We have several women who love surplus guns we see a lot, several women who are dedicated ammo customers which are your concealed carry gals. Yes we get a ton of kids who can’t keep their hands to them selves and touch every gun, some we catch racking bolts and pulling triggers. Dads get distracted and if they are not screaming, they think it is daycare for the kids. Occasionally we get the dad or grand dad teaching the youngsters history and show great respect for the guns. I don’t care if they buy or not, I will hand them the gun and let them handle it as we are all for teaching history. Who know, they may be a future customer.

boltactionbill
United States of America

#22 Post by boltactionbill » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 pm

To expand on the beginning of 72 usmc's post most of the younger guys I know who are into shooting feel black plastic and tacti-cool is king. I've seen them come to the range with 3 or 4 variations of AR's and picatinny rail loaded shotguns when what I bring are WWI and WWII rifles. On the rare occasion one of them will have a Mosin that they would shoot cheap crap steel case ammo in. They complain about how inaccurate and dirty to shoot the old rifles are! I explain to them that a rifle needs to be fed correctly or it won't work well. Then I'll let them try my M1917, P14, No4 & No5 or one of my Mausers with hand loads and their eyes get big as saucers after the first shot! The younger generation needs to be taught correctly by us older guys or they'll never know.

Now when I see these kids at the range some of them have Yugo Mausers which I told them was a cheaper way to get into them, the obligatory Mosins and one kid got a No4 and another got himself a 1903A3! The feed them with brass case commercial ammo as they don't reload, do very well with them and have a great time. The side benefit to all this is I get all their brass when they leave. I'm proud of myself and what I've accomplished but it's the tip of the iceberg, more of us older guys have to set these younger guys straight. It's the only way this hobby and these firearms will survive. - Bill

burban89
United States of America

#23 Post by burban89 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Being in that younger age group (20-35) in my area it makes me kind of an outcast of sorts. When I'm dealing with dealers who don't know me or haven't seen me before they try and write me off as just some young punk who doesn't know anything until one of the other dealers sets them straight about all of the info I do happen to know. Locally I'm sort of the defacto arisaka expert since I have more of them than any of my other milsurps (16 for now but maybe going up soon) and I've done extensive research on them. Now that doesn't mean I don't enough about the other kinds of milsurps (I know enough about some to be very dangerous about them). K98s for instance are a huge landmine field full of humped up pieces and outright fakes bring sold at very high prices. Luckily (or rather unluckily) they never show up for sale where I live so I don't have to deal with that headache nor do I have to deal with the headache of Third Reich militaria and all the fakes they have. Most of the vets locally were Navy and almost all of them went to the Pacific so there are a lot more Japanese items that pop up at shows instead of German items, which is ok. The few German items I do have are heirlooms from a great uncle who shipped them home prior to his death in 1944 so I'm perfectly content with what I have of those.
Back to the original topic for now. There is such a small amount of milsurps in my area that there is no wonder why there is only a real small community of collectors here. Every so often I run into a sportered milsurp of some kind but generally hardly any milsurps show up at our local shows anymore aside from a few walk ins and a couple of tables run by friends of mine offloading extras from their collection or pieces they bought strictly to resell.

vandle
Australia

#24 Post by vandle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Pricing of firearms/parts at gun shows have risen in Oz as well.

You can still get the odd bargain, especially in parts.
A lot of the vendors do not have shop fronts, so their prices are
a little lower than vendors from the big shops.

In the past gun shows meant lower prices but no longer
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#25 Post by FamilyFirearms » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Check out our set up for this weekends show

https://www.facebook.com/familyfirearms ... Zafx8WL7gA

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#26 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Well Todd, for a summer show was it packed? Or very few buyers due to low crowds?

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#27 Post by FamilyFirearms » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:37 pm

We had a competing collectors show so attendance was down, really down😡. First day was really slow but I did get to buy a extreamly nice Enfield 2A1. Sunday I thought it was going to be a 1 gun show but god blessed us and we sold several of the most expensive guns we had at the show which is really rare let alone for a summer show.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#28 Post by Reverend Mauser » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 pm

FamilyFirearms, what's the future for gunshows?

My own experience from the couple I've been to recently: some good deals and some bad. The days of crates of $100 surplus long gone, and that's probably the biggest difference in the shows today than a few years ago for me. Milsurps tend to "here and there" at the tables, and plenty of sporting guns, handguns, etc.

I've had no problem getting people behind the tables to negotiate or make reasonable trade-in offers. I think negotiating's the one thing about gunshows you have to be willing to do today, and a lot of people struggle there. The other is that they don't now the true value of the gun. In my recent experiences, I knew what the gun was truly worth and what would give them a fair profit, and so did they. The price ended up fair for both. I actually got a "thank you" from a dealer for knowing a realistic trade-in and retail values on a Mauser I was carrying around.

boltactionbill
United States of America

#29 Post by boltactionbill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Well I finally have some good gun show news! There was a small show 2 miles from my house, very very rare for here. The usual shows in this area are at least an hour away. I went early the first morning to see what was there and saw a couple of things that interested me but the prices were through the roof with dealers not willing to negotiate much. Decided to go back Sunday afternoon with about an hour and a half of the show to go. Some of what caught my eye was gone but a nearly mint Ishapore 2A1 that really grabbed me was still there.

The seller had a ridiculous price on it and when I talked to him the first day he was only willing to move $25. When I went back and asked him if he really wanted to sell it and gave him my price he said yes and sold it to me for $200 under asking price. I guess the pricetag and/or his unwillingness to negotiate
was the only reason it was still there because its beautiful.

Now the rifle, 1967 Ishapore 2A1 all matching including the magazine. Absolutely mint crown and muzzle, really clean barrel and chamber. Bolt handle barely moved on a no-go, muzzle measures .01 so it should be a very good shooter. I've been looking for one of these for years and just couldn't find one in pristine condition until now. The good thing about these is 7.62 NATO was never corrosive so the barrels survived much better than wartime rifles. Its apart and soaking now as its still packed in cosmolene. I'll put up a thread when it's back together and I've had it at the range which should happen later this week. I love retirement! - Bill

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#30 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:29 am

Sept is the start of WI gun show season, most appear in Oct or Nov as hunting season arrives. We shall see what this years big shows offer.....

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”