Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Pawnshop Predicament

Forum for rifles not listed
Beachboy04
United States of America

Pawnshop Predicament

#1 Post by Beachboy04 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 am

I am 19 yrs/o and I a collection of my own but that being said, most of my firearms are from this decade. Athlough, with the recent purchase of a Mk IV Martini-Henry I am chomping at the bit to add some more history to my collection. The other day I was browsing a pawnshop when I came across a Finnish Mosin, a Steyr M.95 Carbine, and a Turkish Forestry Orman/Berthier. Being new to the milsurp community, I guess I’m asking which would be the smartest gun to buy from a collectors/historical standpoint considering the shop has them listed around the same price. Any suggestions or guidance is beyond appreciated, Thanks. -JB

VMASCIOP2000
United States of America

Re: Pawnshop Predicament

#2 Post by VMASCIOP2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 am

Welcome. Most Finnish Mosins ,If correct would be easier to find ammo for and shoot than the other two. The right Finn would be easily be more valueable than the other two. It should have a larger fan base so resale would be quite easy. If you can check the bore/rifling condition of all three that would be important in your decision. If you can send us the specific Model of Finn ,that would help produce better advice. Warning if the Finn is nice and correct it won't last long.
I was R.L.E.V.M. on our old forum.

Ernest T
United States of America

#3 Post by Ernest T » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

+ 1 on the Finn. My most accurate Mosin type rifle. They are also usually better finished than than some of the other Mosins, but also more expensive.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#4 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm

I guess the Finn Mosin would be the smart move.... But darn it the Turkish Berthier is cooler :)

Beachboy04
United States of America

#5 Post by Beachboy04 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Alrighty, thanks for the quick response btw... The Finn would probably be the Best Buy i guess considering ammo availability and what not, but the gewehr 95’s straight pull action is very appealing as well.

ssg_lord
United States of America

#6 Post by ssg_lord » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Most pawn shops give you 2-3 months layaway time sometimes longer so you may be able to get all three if you budget it right. If you absolutely can only get one then I'd get the Finn although I'm primarily a Finn collector so I'm biased.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by RWS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 am

The Orman Berthier is most likely in 8mm Lebel chambering, not 8x57 Mauser. And... the M95 Steyr is in 8x56R. Both of these are obsolete cartridges that can be found if you look for them but prices are high. PRVI Partizan makes ammo for both but about the only vendor that carries it is SGA Ammo (great company, IMHO) and the price is over $1.10 per round once you factor in shipping.

Contrast that with a 20-rd box of Tula 7.62x54R ammo that you can buy off the shelf at Academy for $12. WalMart also carries it but they don't show an on-line price. Probably as cheap or cheaper than Academy though.

To me there are only two ways the obsolete calibers make sense. One is if you just want to put a box of ammo through whichever rifle you buy just to verify function and get some sense of what it would have been like to shoot the gun back in the day, and then relegate the rifle to safe queen status.

The other way is to buy 2 or 3 boxes of PRVI and reload for the obsolete rounds, but that of course assumes you reload ammo in other calibers already.

If neither of the above options is viable, and you want a gun you can shoot regularly, then just get the Finnish Mosin and you can shoot it all you want. Just my 2 cents worth...

-Bob

indy1919a4
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

RWS wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 am
The Orman Berthier is most likely in 8mm Lebel chambering, not 8x57 Mauser. And... the M95 Steyr is in 8x56R. Both of these are obsolete cartridges
Obsolete... Oh heck that hurts I have been shooting them for year.. :)

But just to pile on, both of those guns will require special clips to shoot them..

Beachboy04
United States of America

#9 Post by Beachboy04 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Alrighty, I think I will go with the Finn because I AM planning too shoot it and reloading atm isn’t a viable option:/ That being said, is there any other straight pull rifles around the same price range and is chambered in something easier to get my hands on? For some reason I love the straight pull of the M95, and if that is going to be the only straight pull for around that price range I might just throw that one on layaway as well:)) Thanks for the insight guys! Being new to this realm I can’t thank y’all enough! -JB

indy1919a4
United States of America

#10 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

You can always go with a Swiss M-31.. and the 7.5x55 swiss ammo is not hard to get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vme90gayUzc

But if you want something that is just BTTW cool...

Some of The m95s in Yugoslavia went through a conversion program to shoot regular 8mm (7.92x57mm) ammo..
and what I think is neat is that these then both fell into German hands and issued to their 2nd line troops as well as many
went into Greek and Yugoslavian resistance units..

http://candrsenal.com/rifle-yugoslavian ... and-m9524/

there are some others but they are going to be a tad pricier...

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by RWS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Obsolete... Oh heck that hurts I have been shooting them for year..
Not meant to hurt, Indy; rather more like a bucket of ice water in the face, i.e., the cold truth. I shoot several obsolete calibers, but I reload so as to keep the cost down and even then I sometimes have to modify brass to get cartridges to work. One need not reject obsolescence out of hand; y'just gotta go in with both eyes wide open and understand that there is usually a PITA factor with obsolete calibers (as well as a learning curve). Look on the Japanese Pistol Forum as to how much trouble 8mm Nambu is to deal with in terms of finding loaded ammo, reloading dies, cases, and/or modifying .40 S&W or .357 SIG brass to make 8mm Nambu ammo. And, that's a pistol cartridge. Obsolete rifle cartridges are even more work.

And... I completely agree with you that the K-31 Swiss ring pulls are the most logical choice out there for a straight-pull bolt action rifle from a logistical viewpoint. High quality, not too expensive and ammo is readily available. However, all the usual suspects are out of stock leaving the O.P. with Gunbroker, private sales, gun shows, or pawn shops.

BTW BeachBoy, I went to WalMart earlier this afternoon and their Tula 7.62x54R ammo is $12 per box of 20 rounds, same as Academy. Academy had more inventory though...

-Bob

korkster
United States of America

#12 Post by korkster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:15 pm

+1 on the Finn

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#13 Post by Reverend Mauser » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am

I agree that the Finn is likely a better option.

A helpful website in identifying it:

Mosin Nagant Model Identification guide

As as pointed out, the Tula Ammo is pretty cheap. Surplus still floats around, too, though I haven't seen a dealer with it. lately.

Another option: The 7.62x54r cartridge is one that Lee supplies in its classic lee loader option. It's a cheap way to get into reloading. They run about $30. Add a mallet and a pair of calipers for another $20. A box of bullets, a jug of an appropriate powder, and primers runs you another $75. Add a reloading manual. At that point you're good to go in reloading for that gun for $150-$200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

indy1919a4
United States of America

#14 Post by indy1919a4 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am

Reverend Mauser wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am

As as pointed out, the Tula Ammo is pretty cheap. Surplus still floats around, too, though I haven't seen a dealer with it. lately.
SG has some

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/4 ... s-1985-mfg

And if I was going to be getting into this caliber and considering how some Politicians want to mess things up for shooters.. I sure the heck would get a
few cans set aside, just in case..

Beachboy04
United States of America

#15 Post by Beachboy04 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Alrighty R.M, I might look into LEE a little bit more. I’ve known of them but I really haven’t thought about reloading until recently. Thanks! -JB

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”