Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Pawnshop Predicament

Forum for rifles not listed
72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Pawnshop Predicament

#16 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Do you want a shooter or a safe queen? It is always best to buy a rare rifle that is in best condition and all matching. I mean a safe queen that will never be shot if the price is a steal-- that is what you grab as an investment. All matching, intact original stock, with original sling, no import mark, maybe bring back papers?? Got the idea, top grade stuff is always expensive, but it is an investment. Now if you want a shooter get a matching bolt rifle with an intact stock that you can buy ammo for and use it at some vintage matches.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#17 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Let us know if you were able to grab the Finn. As mentioned, if priced comparable to an M95 I would think it will go fast. And don't feel bad if you have to pass on the M95 this time--those were imported in vast numbers and should remain relatively easy to find at reasonable prices for a long time.

And +1 on Lee for getting into reloading. I recommend the Lee Hand-press. Only a bit more initial outlay than a Lee Loader, and more versatile and cheaper in the long run as you expand the range of calibers you reload. It's still my only press, and I reload lots of military calibers using just the hand-press and H4895 powder. I just bought what I needed as I needed it, and can fit my entire reloading kit into a decent-sized box. For instance, I never felt the need for a tumbler, preferring to clean my cases with wipes and rags. For a low-volume reloader like me, it's probably just as fast that way...

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#18 Post by RWS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:09 am

I'm an avid reloader. I enjoy the hobby aspect of it and reloaded over 4,000 rounds of ammo in 2017. However, these days there is really not much money savings to be had anymore unless you also get into bullet casting, which is an whole 'nuther animal as they say. Any more there has to be more to it than simply saving money. In fact, the cheapest factory 9mm ammo actually costs less than what it takes me to reload 9mm cases (assuming I use jacketed bullets in my reloads).

In a similar vein, (as of this writing) a 1,000 rd case of Tula 7.62x54R ammo from Target Sports (or comparable vendor) costs $500 delivered to your door. Free shipping on case lots and no tax collected unless you're in Connecticut. A thousand rounds allows for a LOT of shooting, or you can sell some to your friends.
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/tul-amm ... -3059.aspx

On the reloading end, about the cheapest bullet that you would probably want to use for this cartridge is made by PRVI (150 grain FMJ-BT) and will cost about 25 cents apiece on sale. A powder charge will usually run at least 15 cents, and primers likely about 3 cents apiece. Total is 43 cents per round for ammo you can buy (above) for 50 cents per round, and this 43-cent price assumes you have a free supply of reloadable brass. The cost saving is minimal. Factor in that it will likely take over 2 hours to load 100 rounds and you are doing it for about a $3.50/hr labor rate.

Why 2 hours? Because you have to (after acquiring reloadable cases):
-deprime the brass
-tumble the brass (or hand wipe/clean it like Penn Rifleman above)
-lube the brass for resizing
-resize the brass
-wipe the lube off
-trim the brass case back to spec (and remove primer crimp if necessary)
-remove case mouth burrs from the trimming process
-prime the brass
-adjust powder thrower to correct charge weight (you actually CAN use a powder scoop here but I don't)
-seat bullet on charged case to correct depth/overall length
-crimp the bullet
-inspect reloaded rounds for defects/neck splits/deformed shoulders, etc.
-label the box for the cartridges with date & reloading data

I'm not trying to be negative here. All I'm saying is that if you are not drawn to reloading for the enjoyment factor then there is really not much cost savings to be eked out anymore and you have to enjoy the reloading process (and it can be immensely enjoyable and satisfying) or like as not you'll just quit doing it. In recent years the price of reloading components has gone up more than the cost of ammo, at least in my experience. Several years ago, when factory .303 ammo was $5 per box of 20 (25 cents per round) I was reloading it for 10 cents per round and it was well worth the effort. Now, not so much. YMMV.

-Bob

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”