Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Rust.

Forum for rifles not listed
noddaz
United States of America

Rust.

#1 Post by noddaz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 pm

I have a magazine for a m1 Carbine that has surface rust on it. Looking for some hints on how to remove this without removing what is left of the bluing. Wipe it down with WD40 and call it a day? Soak it in vinegar? Coke-a-Cola? Inquiring minds want to know.

Zeliard
United States of America

Re: Rust.

#2 Post by Zeliard » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Can try quadruple ought steel wool and oil. Some folks have used a nickel to remove light surface rust.
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

ffuries
United States of America

#3 Post by ffuries » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:18 am

I use 4 ought steel wool and transmission fluid to clean rust, also the transmission fluid coats it and keeps the rust from forming again.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

steamer
United States of America

#4 Post by steamer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:39 am

If you're at all worried about using actual steel wool, I would highly recommend checking these out. They work great.
#0000 Super Fine Synthetic Steel Wool Pads - any home improvement store should have them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-4 ... /203783555

shoot4fun
United States of America

#5 Post by shoot4fun » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:53 am

Oil and superfine steel wool, or if you'd prefer something softer, some of the brass or copper wool. Some use a penny, heard of some using a piece of spent brass too.

professrh
United States of America

#6 Post by professrh » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:57 am

I'm about to order some of this. I'll use it to clean up the metal on my R. FAMAGE pawnshop sporter and (at some point) in refinishing the beechwood stock of a K31 (the gents on the Swiss Rifles dot com forums argue stridently against using steel wool on wood).
www.amazon.com/Bronze-Rhodes-American-H ... FDSP68NZA6

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:48 pm

The only way to remove the rust without damaging the bluing would be to use electrolysis, it is easy to do and works.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:48 pm
The only way to remove the rust without damaging the bluing would be to use electrolysis, it is easy to do and works.
Warning though there was a post on this board, before the great outage, regarding using electrolysis to de-rust a rifle and it took the bluing off. So it depends on the type of finish that will determine the results. Known people who have used it with no issues though, so just throwing that warning out there. Don't remember who it was and what type of gun it was.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

DaleH
United States of America

#9 Post by DaleH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Look up ‘Frontier Cloth’ by Big 45. It looks like spiraled steel wool, but more ribbon like. It is a proprietary blend of stainless steel, monel, zinc and other alloys that is harder than rust, but will not damage or remove the bluing. Is is THE BEST and must be used or seen used to realize how awesome it is!

See: http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com

bobvz
United States of America

#10 Post by bobvz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Boil the magazine in water for 30 minutes. Soak in ATF. Then card with 0000 steel wool.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I have used electrolysis to remove rust from magazine and firearms for decades. Never has it remove any bluing at any time. The person who posted that had to have used the wrong type
of cleaner. You only use Washing Soda and nothing else in the water.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#12 Post by ffuries » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:26 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm
I have used electrolysis to remove rust from magazine and firearms for decades. Never has it remove any bluing at any time. The person who posted that had to have used the wrong type
Thank you for the response, I've never used electrolysis so I rely on people like you for knowledge, with all the positive results I read about that one screwed up one stuck in my memory. Don't know what the outcome was or what the brain trust figured out was the culprit. It was under the gun smithing or restoration or something like that section. Maybe someone can recall the posting, and the particulars about it.

ETA: Found the same posting on another board, but shows he had posted here, don't know if posting a link to it would be rules violation, so I'll PM it to you for input and memory jog.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

#13 Post by ffuries » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm
FYI I recant my earlier statement regarding electrolysis can strip the finish, well it can but that isn't the point. Rapidrob looked at the original post I referenced and it looks as if it was hooked up backwards.

So used properly it works wonders, if hooked up wrong it makes one hell of a stripper.

This is what makes this board so great people exchanging ideals and learning from one another, without fear of being chastised for making an erroneous statement. Thank you Rapidrob for the explanation and education without the lashing that you see so often on other boards.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#14 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 am

I wouldn't be all too concern of trying to save whatever bluing maybe under the rust. a M1 carbine magazine isn't like somkind of ancient artifact, or that bluing affects the function of the magazine.

just remove the rust, ie. steel wool, sandpaper etc... and either coat the mag with a thin coat of oil. or re-blue it. there are a few products on the market that are simple to use for that purpose.

a long time ago I bought some M1 carbine mags that were wrapped in canvas type cloth. when I took the wrapping off the mags they were rusted. took some sandpaper and oil and sanded the rust off, cleaned it and re-blued the mags. still feeds ammo to this day without the original bluing :D
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

professrh
United States of America

#15 Post by professrh » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:40 am

ffuries wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 pm
This is what makes this board so great people exchanging ideals and learning from one another, without fear of being chastised for making an erroneous statement. Thank you Rapidrob for the explanation and education without the lashing that you see so often on other boards.
Hear, hear!

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”