The 2020 "Make Surplus Rifles Great Again" Challenge

Forum for rifles not listed
jaytex1969

Re: The 2020 "Make Surplus Rifles Great Again" Challenge

Post by jaytex1969 »

That's pretty sweet, Tommy. Thanks for sharing!

Jay
Polaris428

Post by Polaris428 »

Looks awesome Tommy. Good luck on the front sight!
NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

C'mon folks, let's not let Jay down - post up some pics and help SRF!

Here is a typical Russian capture K98k. Not one of the most beautiful milsurps around but they do have some history. The "byf" indicates it was made by Mauserwerk.
Attachments
20200804_120102.jpg
20200804_120259.jpg
20200804_120358.jpg
72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Here is a typical Russian capture K98k.
Not so typical. I see a new dot matrix serial number and no SN electro written on the bolt??? Did it come with a cleaning rod or you added it later?
What import mark is on that rifle and where is it located? That might be a nice specimen to document with 20 or so photos... in the German section. I would be interested in seeing its attributes. Actually that is a mighty fine example. It has a nice even blue/black & a great wood finish :pray: :pray: :pray: Please consider a photo documentation of all its markings and parts. It has to be a much later import due to the new serial number. Can you show the import mark? Are small parts lined out or renumbered. Did this come from Classic Arms? Maybe add to this lower post or in the German section. :pray: :pray:

Did you see this? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1911
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.
Cattus Borealis

Post by Cattus Borealis »

NorthMan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:00 pm C'mon folks, let's not let Jay down - post up some pics and help SRF!

Here is a typical Russian capture K98k. Not one of the most beautiful milsurps around but they do have some history. The "byf" indicates it was made by Mauserwerk.
Nice K 98k!

How does it shoot for you? I once had a Yugo capture and a Russian capture. I gave the Yugoslav capture to one of my Army buddies after we got back from Iraq the second time. The Russian capture went to my old MG squad leader after the 10th Mountain Division released him from his deployment orders. He passed his Special Forces qualification course but the Army wanted him to deploy! Luckily, they let him go to become a Green Beret. They both still have them and shoot them.

Here are some of my students with two of my Rifles.
Attachments
1722.jpeg
NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

@cattus It shoots pretty well, like most of my 8mm bolt guns. The one that frustrates me is the Yugo M48 and that too thick stock.
NorthMan

Post by NorthMan »

@72 usmc I read the long post you referenced about RC's - not sure if that helped or just raised more questions. I'll need to dig my K98k out again before I can get more pictures. What I can tell you is that I purchased it from SOG in early 2006. None of the non-matching numbers on various parts have been lined out. I really can't remember of it came with the cleaning rod or not? I know that I have purchased a couple of them (and some capture screws) many years ago for some of my Mausers.
When I can, I'll get more pics and make an entry in the German Rifles section.
Cattus Borealis

Post by Cattus Borealis »

Cool. I always liked the M24/47s better than the M48 Mausers. Both are great guns but I guess it comes down to what fits better.

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”