Need some help appraising Mauser 98 & Enfield.

Forum for rifles not listed
TPDuckwa

Need some help appraising Mauser 98 & Enfield.

Post by TPDuckwa »

Hello all.
A buddy of mine has acquired a bunch of guns in an estate sale. He purchased the guns with the intent to resell. We need some help figuring out ballpark values on these guns. I know appraising these rifles depends on a bunch of factors, but I'm just looking for ballpark price ranges. Im not very knowledgeable about older milsurp guns, but they all appear in very good condition mechanically. Bores look good with crisp rifling. Actions are smooth, and overall look to have been maintained decently.

Thank you in advance for any help with values or any interesting information about the pieces.

Mauser
https://imgur.com/gallery/uIPGFp4

Enfield
http://imgur.com/gallery/LfQMKxW

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need some help appraising Mauser 98 & Enfield.

Post by Tommy Atkins »

The Savage Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* is worth Between $450 & $600.
Depends on condition, matching numbers & so on.

TPDuckwa

Post by TPDuckwa »

Thank you Tommy!

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by 72 usmc »

The other Mauser is a Yugo capture German K98 rebuild and marked with a yugo crest by Yugoslavia. It is a 8mm Mauser. I would say around $ 400-450 at a WI show or to sell at the drop of a hat priced at $250-300. Any fool would pay that. It is worth :arrow: :arrow: More if you can see a ghost image of the scrubbed German markings. That is a nice example. Does it match the bolt to the receiver number? If yes then its worth more with the nice Yugo sling. Do the small parts match and have German markings? Worth more. I would say not in high demand, it needs a special buyer. Some hate these, others love them like me. If I saw it as a bring in at a gun show and you sold it at $300 I'd think I got a deal. Remember you can check at a library The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms by Phillip Petterson (9th edition just out 2020) or look at the retail prices Empire arms get. Sell to a dealer you can figure you will get about 1/2 value. On surplus firearms always check if the bolt number matches the receiver for top buck or if the bore is almost new. Mismatched is common stuff. Same is a poor bore or cracked stock.
Empire arms retail listings for the last few years.... https://www.empirearms.com/newstuff.htm

You can read about The Yugo mauser here: I just redid the pictures
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =13&t=1911

Factors in looking at surplus rifles see this: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... f=8&t=2911

On that Savage Enfield (US made ) those have climbed in value. I got mine at the local farm store when they were dumped on the market at $129. Now they go easy at $400, a give away price would be $300 and any fool would pay that. RTI junk from Ethiopia is priced at $299. That rifle looks much better. At gun shows Enfield Savages seem to be in demand and its not unlikely to see crazy prices at $600. They sit on the table for some time till a high roller comes along. High prices have taken the wind out of the sails on surplus rifles. People are not busting doors down for $350 Mosins, 600 Enfields, or $1500 M1 carbines. Classic seems to dump some garbage at high prices, but buyers are getting wise to their games.

When at a gun show I never pay retail, I want a deal say about $100-200 off retail. Generally private sellers at a gun show want to make at least 25% over cost and dealers are at around 50-60% due to store overhead. At an estate sale, I'd say as a guess the Yugo went $200 and the Enfield $300. At a farm auction, I'd say the Yugo goes around $300-340, the Enfield $400-450-- if a bidding war is encountered, prices can climb, you can add $100-200 depending on the fools running up the price. Price can be at retail or over due to no paper work. There is always an auction goon that runs up prices for the company. Watch for those people. You can tell if you go to the same auctions all the time. Best to back off and stick it to the auctioneer. Then you see the same item at the next auction. :naughty: :clap: :clap: Tricky little suckers.

Sometimes it's a family member that wants an item that should have went to them anyway, but the dead guy or gal was a horses a$$. Best to stop and let them have what should have been theirs. Auctions can be funny events. I generally know the gun sellers and always bid them up even though I do not want an item. I am an ornery old fart, if I cannot get it cheep, neither are they. It just depends on the gun seller, some are great guys and have sold things they got cheep, others are cut throat dealers. I bid them up. In the last two years it seems auction prices are always high or at retail to a person that just wants an item. Even with the C19, auctions for gun collections are commanding high prices. Prices be crazy!

The best deals on firearms are estate sales, rummage sales, or small farm/house auctions that do not advertise the firearms or there is only one or two and it is not worth the gun dealers time to go. Then deals can be had. Big collections, that are well advertised, and you see all the dealers will be present as well as the big time collectors and private buyers looking for just that one item and willing to pay to get it. Heck, they drove a long way & spent the time so they do not want to go home empty handed. They may pay more than retail. Recent trends seem to indicate a desire to purchase dependable, newer model firearms. At shows, those coming in the door sell off the older, cheeply gotten surplus firearms or dads old, vintage junk for extra cash or use them as trade items for modern pistols or black rifles. I had a few people that wanted to sell off surplus C&R, but all wanted book retail price. Common surplus Firearms seem to sit on the tables at our shows if priced at book price. Every one, :snooty: :snooty: wants a deal. A rush on used hand guns seems to be in progress.

The biggest price factor is regional location, and how close or far the show or store is to a big city. And is the state is CC, there is an upswing in conceal carry classes with the women and younger crowd. And they all want that new pistol from a store.

So you got two nice C & R surplus rifles, that in itself means a special kind of buyer-maybe a shooter, surely a collector, but at top buck they are no longer a deal to a shooter, and few want them for farm guns-too expensive, and not the best for home defense or hunting. Mosins may list in the book on an average of $300, but a common nice 91/30 just does not sell too fast at $300, more like $200 to move it off the table. So price depends on if you are a museum display waiting for that one high roller, or a table guy that wants to do some sales so you can make a little profit, pay the motel, gas, & food bill. Don't forget the table or tables fees. A hard way to make a buck.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by 72 usmc »

20 May 2020 Empire arm listing price guide retail. This rifle matched the bolt and has a nice sling & cleaning rod. A top dollar specimen.
YUGOSLAVIAN Model 98k Mauser bolt-action rifle # 6321 (8mm) mfg. by Nazi arsenals during WWII and refurbished by Zastava in c.1947-8. Excellent or better condition, a large-ring standard-length Mauser with 95% or better bluing on the metal surfaces and a bright and strong bore with very pronounced rifling. Very bold Tito-era Yugoslavian crest above chamber. Bolt numbered 6321 (matching), remainder of parts still retain their original German serial numbers. Stock is laminated with handling marks from use, includes cleaning-rod and front sight-hood as well as Yugo leather sling with buckle. PHOTOS . . . $525. C&R SOLD
The photo of the rifle>
yugo-6321.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”