Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SR 71 Speed Check.

HectorFuego
United States of America

SR 71 Speed Check.

#1 Post by HectorFuego » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 pm

This is good for a laugh. If you haven't heard it, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg73GKm7GgI

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

steamer
United States of America

Re: SR 71 Speed Check.

#2 Post by steamer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:32 am

That's funny - definitely worth a listen. :handgestures-thumbup:

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:39 am

With our clear skies if you got a heads -up of a flight passing over Albuquerque, you could see their contrails zoom overhead. It only took a minute or so until they were long gone.
What they never talk about is you never hear a sonic boom. You'd think a jet going 2,000 mph would rip the sky apart. I never heard a sound.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

dezzertrat
United States of America

#4 Post by dezzertrat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Rumor has it the SR-71 could cruise at 80,000 feet. At such a high altitude, where the air is so thin, the sonic boom would probably dissipate before it reached the ground.

noylj
United States of America

#5 Post by noylj » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Just remember:
Top speed is still classified.
Max altitude is still classified.

Tommy Fox Stone
United States of America

#6 Post by Tommy Fox Stone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Now that was funny as hell... :lol:
Shoot, Shoot, Shoot Your Gun, Kill Them All Right Now. Bang!, Bang!, Bang!, Bang!. Life Is But A Scream!...

C.S.A...

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 pm

I remember as a kid at Kadena AB, Okinawa (77-80) watching the SR-71 taking off, it was always a spectacle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:13 pm

A good friend of mine's Grandson is an Air Traffic Controller here in ABQ. This area is unique in the country due to White Sands Missie Range and Sandia Labs. So much secret stuff going on it takes two departments to control the air lanes.
His Grandson told me a story about the SR-71 as well.
He was on the scopes and was notifying Commercial Aviation that a severe weather front was moving in.
Many of the pilots were asking clearance to fly over the storms 30,000 feet. He said it went some thing like this:
Control this is Delta Heavy 1620 requesting to go to 38,000 feet..... Roger,cleared for 38,000 feet Delta 1620.....
Albuquerque control this is Southwest 2447 requesting to go to 35,000 feet.......etc
Albuquerque Control........this is Alpha 21 Niner requesting to go to 50,000 feet..... He said everyone looked at one another with a puzzled look on their faces. .....Roger that Alpha 219, cleared for 50,000 feet................. Roger Albuquerque Control......DESCENDING to 50,000 feet.... He told me the control room broke out in laughter. They then knew it was a Blackbird.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

HectorFuego
United States of America

#9 Post by HectorFuego » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 pm

The speaker is Brian Shul, and if you have the time there's about an hour video on youtube of him speaking. Very inspirational individual. He said that no matter what the book said the SR-71 would go faster. Much of it is still classified, but once when he was flying a mission over the Middle East, someone fired a missile at him. To evade it, he pushed the throttle all the way over. Watching the airspeed numbers climb he mentioned "scary Mach numbers." This was from a guy who routinely flew at Mach 3. I can't imagine how fast he was going when the numbers got scary.

Incredible aircraft.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

DaleH
United States of America

#10 Post by DaleH » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm

I hear the fuel tanks bleed fuel on the runway before she takes to the air and all the metal parts grow & expand and it doesn't leak whilst flying. True or an old military wives tale?

ffuries
United States of America

#11 Post by ffuries » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm

DaleH wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:05 pm
I hear the fuel tanks bleed fuel on the runway before she takes to the air and all the metal parts grow & expand and it doesn't leak whilst flying. True or an old military wives tale?
As a kid the pilots told us she leaked like a sieve on the ground, once airborne the seals would expand and she quit leaking. Again how true is it or was it just the pilots joshing us, I never found out. So good question, look forward to the answer.
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

shoot4fun
United States of America

#12 Post by shoot4fun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

ffuries wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm
DaleH wrote:
As a kid the pilots told us she leaked like a sieve on the ground, once airborne the seals would expand and she quit leaking. Again how true is it or was it just the pilots jostling us, I never found out. So good question, look forward to the answer.
Had a mechanic that claimed to have worked on/around them tell me the same thing.

They are quite impressive all the way around, the design, the specs/stats, etc. The cockpit looks so short in height, well the whole plane seems quite slender relative to the fighters/bombers planes of the day. Got the itch to go look at one again.

ffuries
United States of America

#13 Post by ffuries » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:02 pm

shoot4fun wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm
ffuries wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 pm
DaleH wrote:
As a kid the pilots told us she leaked like a sieve on the ground, once airborne the seals would expand and she quit leaking. Again how true is it or was it just the pilots jostling us, I never found out. So good question, look forward to the answer.
Had a mechanic that claimed to have worked on/around them tell me the same thing.

They are quite impressive all the way around, the design, the specs/stats, etc. The cockpit looks so short in height, well the whole plane seems quite slender relative to the fighters/bombers planes of the day. Got the itch to go look at one again.
Yes she is impressive, I remember we had two pilots (One of the pilots was the father of a girl in my class) come into our 5th grade class with their Aircrew Life Support gear and talk to us. We got to try on the gear which was cool. Might be the reason I ended up in Aircrew Life Support for 23 years, so I could continue to play with flight gear.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Hammy
United States of America

#14 Post by Hammy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 pm

When I was at Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Base, Japan in 1976, the MP's showed up at our shop one day and hustled us all into the shop and closed the doors. They wouldn't say why or what was happening, we figured a surprise visit from POTUS Carter or the Commandant. One of my buddies had his eye up to a hole in the wall that faced the runway and swore up and down he saw a Habu land. I found out later it was a Blackbird that had a minor problem and was fixed on the end of the runway then took off again. I do know it sounded a whole lot different from the Phantoms and Intruders and Harriers we normally heard.
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

ffuries
United States of America

#15 Post by ffuries » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Hammy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 pm
When I was at Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Base, Japan in 1976, the MP's showed up at our shop one day and hustled us all into the shop and closed the doors. They wouldn't say why or what was happening, we figured a surprise visit from POTUS Carter or the Commandant. One of my buddies had his eye up to a hole in the wall that faced the runway and swore up and down he saw a Habu land. I found out later it was a Blackbird that had a minor problem and was fixed on the end of the runway then took off again. I do know it sounded a whole lot different from the Phantoms and Intruders and Harriers we normally heard.
Yeah they were pretty secretive about them, we took a field trip to a KC-10 or KC-135 tanker, the hanger door for the Habu was opened, they shut it before we were allowed off the bus.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Off Topic”