Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

You WW I buffs might enjoy this.

HectorFuego
United States of America

You WW I buffs might enjoy this.

#1 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm always intrigued by old photos overlayed on the same scene in current times but this is the first time I've seen it done with 100 year old movie footage. Battle of Somme footage. At about the 22 minute mark you expect to see British soldiers step from 1916 to 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuz0BA3-_P0

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: You WW I buffs might enjoy this.

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 9.10.29 PM.png
100 years ago Malins and McDowell exposed their film to the light capturing a moment in time.
It's very difficult to understand and watch the original film as they were very limited by technology and the danger. Malins risked his life on several occasions making this film, being right on the front line with a huge box camera sticking out above the trench. After watching the film many times, over many years, I wanted to find these locations and stand in their foot prints and re film.
Some locations were easy to find, some took much research and some I haven't yet been able to locate, but all the ones in this documentary are within yards to feet of where they filmed originally, none are guesses or just possibilities. I hope you enjoy watching and it helps you to understand please leave comments this is worth more to me than earning money i ask for nothing but love remarks
A fantastic piece of photographic archaeology. A must watch for everyone. Take 40 mins of your time to be amazed. What is odd is how well the earth has healed itself after only 100 years. I wonder what an aerial photo, LiDar imagery would show of the hidden & covered over WW I activities that disturbed the soil at these locations. I wonder if any LiDar air photos were recently made of these locations?

As fascinating as watching , They Shall Not Grow Old. Works of art.
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=3119

Many thanks to HectorFuego for posting this :dance:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#3 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:31 pm

I also watched "They Shall Not Grow Old." Peter Jackson did an amazing job restoring, colorizing, and adjusting the frame rate on original footage. Most of it looked like it could have been made yesterday.

On a side note, 100 years ago, my grandfather was in the U.S. Army , fighting in France. He returned in may of 1919.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Mashuga
United States of America

#4 Post by Mashuga » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Cool, mine was a Marine in WW I and dad was also a jar head in WW II, dad got grand pas 1917 Enfield, but unfortunately he sporterized it in the 1950s for deer hunting. Dad cut 1 inch off the barrel and added a different front sight. After he died, I got the 1917 grand pa had and dads bring backs. Seems most jar heads have sticky fingers when it comes to getting back home. :shhh: We all got our share of bring backs.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “General Off Topic”