Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Midway Movie Review

echo1
United States of America

Re: Midway Movie Review

#16 Post by echo1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:23 pm

My son and I went and saw it. Both of us are aviation nuts (I've got some Stearman time) and have a vast die cast collection. We were pleased on it's accuracy, even if they didn't show the Wildcat's mixing it up. It won't win any academy awards, but it was good to see the correct equipment, more or less. I'll get the DV too. My Pops was an Alamo Scout in with the 1st Filipino Regiment, and anything WWII touches me.

I'm a small block Ford motor head with a Tiger, so I'll be checking out "Ford VS Ferrari" PAX

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#17 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Most people are unaware that Manilla was the second most destroyed city in WWII next to Warsaw. I stunned that topped two nuked Japanese cities, bombed and shelled Berlin, and fired bombed Dresden and Tokyo.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#18 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm

The big thing with Hiroshima & Nagasaki was that it was 1 aircraft with 1 bomb. Not the degree of destruction.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#19 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:43 pm

They still took out an incredible amount of area regardless. Besides Warsaw, I don't see European cities quite flattened by aerial bombardment as either Nagasaki and Hiroshima with even 1000 planes. Those bombs seemed to have been used an as excuse for Japanese war crimes and the emperor's complicity in the war after they were dropped. Perhaps not PC to talk about that in the USA, but over in Asia, it's fair game. I once shamed my Chinese roommate that the Koreans were protesting the Japanese long before the Chinese were and much more intensely. I implied the Chinese were amateurs and Johnny come lately's. Literally, the Koreans were an entire week ahead of the Chinese and I said, "Where were you guys? Sleeping? Waiting for little old Korea to show you the way?" The silence was quite enjoyable not to hear.

BTW, Ken Kotani's "Japanese Intellengence In World War II" is a good book to get the Japanese side of intelligence gathering during the war. He used quite a few Japanese sources, not an easy thing to do. Going from Japanese and Chinese characters to English is no easy task. I've seen a western scholar attack classical Chinese characters with flash cards so he could decipher stuff in the Korean national archives, it is a sight to behold. I've looked up stuff in a Korean-Chinese dictionary in order to read a mixed script newspaper article. As my mentor said, it takes about four times as long to master an Asian language than any western one for a westerner and vise versa. Remember the US encyptionologists at Midway not only had to deal with breaking Japanese codes, but also the Japanese language. How they did it is beyond me. You really have to devote yourself to learning the language intensely and then some and then try to maintain it over time. Japanese sentence structure is backwards just to begin with as is Korean, its sister tongue. Mix in occasional Chinese characters in place of phonetic Japanese or Korean words and you got a big mess to deal with.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#20 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 am

Different construction may have played into it also. Japanese back then was very light (& flammable) compared to Western construction. A big train of thought was if the wall falls during an earthquake you go through it, it doesn't crush you.
If you look at before & after pics solidly built buildings survived way better than the lightweight houses next to them.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#21 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm

So I went to see the movie the second time. I was just as spell bound as the first time. At 10:00 on a work day the price was $5.28; there was only 8 people in the room :o A fantastic array of credits at the end and it was filmed in Hawaii and Canada. This will be a must buy DVD. Heck, for $5 bucks, I might go see it again. I remember seeing Saving Private Ryan at the theater; I always regretted not seeing it again on a big screen with the crazy sound. It was just not the same on the DVD. The best part is landing on the beach, almost like two different movies.
So if you are into the sounds and feel of the rumble, go see Midway at a theater-- it will not be the same on the dvd on TV. :shhh:
Heck, I had to turn my hearing aids down. :oops:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#22 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pm

If you watch at a theater again, try the first row. I once saw The Great Waldo Pepper in full theater that way since that was all there were left and it was similar to 3D during the flight scenes. It is a cheap thrill, but a thrill none the less.

Sized up some .330 diameter cast bullets to .325 for the Lebel. Hope to take her out soon.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “General Off Topic”