Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Trigger time! (aka I'm still here!)

jardows
United States of America

Trigger time! (aka I'm still here!)

#1 Post by jardows » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Hey there! I'm still around, but haven't had time (or money) to do much with the old rifles to be worth posting anything. I was finally able to take some time this weekend and go target shooting. With everything else going on, I didn't spend a whole lot of time, but it was wonderfully therapeutic! I took my yugo capture 98k, a custom built 8mm rifle on a dumoulin receiver (that has yet to be shot) and a cheap .22 semi-auto my grandpa gave me several years ago.

The range I went to has some steel plates setup, so I started at the 100 yard range, and ended up staying there the whole time. Starting with the 98k, I loaded up some surplus 8mm ammo, and from the bench rest, made sure it was hitting the plate reliably. Then spent some time in various positions shooting at the plate. It was a fun change from my normal "punching holes in paper" target sessions, as hearing the "ping" of the bullet striking the plate and watching it swing around (especially when i hit the lower part of the plate) gave nice instant feedback. One thing I did learn is that I need lots more practice at unsupported shooting!

I then tried my custom 8mm, which has a heavy barrel and a scope on a dumoulin Mauser receiver. It won't fire. Barely dents the primer. I had put a custom light-weight firing pin in, and thinking that was the problem, put in the factory pin, but still same issue. I'm thinking that maybe the spring isn't strong enough? I'll have to do some testing, I can load up some empty cases with primer only (it's a little louder than a cap gun) and see at home about getting this to work. Maybe next time I'll actually get to shoot it!

Probably the highlight for me was shooting the .22. The rear sight was missing the elevator, and I had only shot it at ~25 yards. I had picked up a cheap .22 1.5x scope and wanted to try it out. Using CCI mini-mags, I had intended to setup a 25 yard target and try it out, but then thought - what the heck? I'll just go ahead and try to hit that steel plate at 100 yards! the range officer eyeballed the point of impact for me, and making a few adjustments, starting hitting the plate. Every single shot! Now that just put a big grin on my face :D. I experimented with different shooting positions for a while, until I started getting some FTFs. I don't know if something has broken with the firing pin, or if it just got seriously fouled up, but it was only firing about every other round, and the rounds I ejected were not showing even a dent on the rim.

Overall, I was very satisfied with the day, and hope to get out more, pending school and baby stuff!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Trigger time! (aka I'm still here!)

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Take your Mauser bolt apart and scrub out the striker stop at the front of the bolt. Make sure there is no dried cosmoline piled up in there. If clean, it could be your spring. To prove the spring has gone weak put it in a padded vice and stretch the spring a couple of links. Try your primer test if it goes bang, the spring is weak.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

jardows
United States of America

#3 Post by jardows » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm

Rob, it's a brand new commercial action I bought from Sarco - no cosmoline and a brand new spring. It is actually longer than the military springs I have laying around, but looks like it is thinner gauge wire, and feels softer. I hope to test a little bit this evening, but from my wife's dr. appointment this morning, we just kicked into "any time mode" with a baby. The next week or two are going to be interesting for sure!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pm

It really sounds like a weak spring since you have two strikers and they both do the same thing.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

jardows
United States of America

#5 Post by jardows » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Got to test tonight, just replacing the spring did the trick. Thankfully! It looks likely that we will have a baby born this week, so it may be a while before I get to a range test, but at least there is progress! Now to troubleshoot the .22.

Return to “General Off Topic”