Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The Old Forum.

shoggoth80
United States of America

The Old Forum.

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm

Hey all. This is sort of a reminiscing thing for me. Feel free to jump in if you like.
I was just musing over the last couple days. Cleaned up some guns, arranged my safe, moved some reloading gear around. I really miss the old forum. Not that what we have now is bad. I'm just kinda waxing nostalgic for the moment. Kinda like the "good old days" posts. I used to read the articles, long before I signed up here. Something about the mostly concentrated information, enthusiastic user base, relatively cheap, and available surplus stuff all coalesced into a mix that I've not really seen replicated anywhere else.
Now, I'm not the most consistent poster, I am not the most knowledgeable contributor, and I've taken long breaks in forum participation over the years for varying reasons, but I still enjoy the boards. Had to be something like 19 or 20 years ago that I walked out of Big 5 with my first milsurp gun. Romanian M44 for $65. That was the gateway drug. Lol. I bought mine after shooting down bowling pins with a friend's 91/30. Just fondly remembering a point in time, and the boards were part of that.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Re: The Old Forum.

#2 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:28 pm

This didn't translate well to text. That sort of fun, nostalgic stuff. I got my first taste of surplus around 20 years ago, and between 2007, and say 2010 was kinda of a magic time. Got my C&R, bought tons of cool stuff, blew through a lot of ammo with a very close friend who had recently gotten his rights restored (long story, not mine to tell). Just a lot of fond memories that don't translate well. Feel free to share if you've got some.

MustangHowie
United States of America

#3 Post by MustangHowie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:33 pm

I got a lot of good advice on the old sight and bought some parts and a few guns. Lots of memories. We will have more with the new one too.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#4 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 pm

I remembered the forum before the last one. The one we are on now is, I believe, the third iteration. The first one was a part of SurplusRifle.com or *.org. That was a great site with lots of sponsors and tons of info on old mil-surps ... manuals galore, history, and even some editorials. Lots of sponsors, many of which are no longer in business or now just sell modern firearm stuff.

There used to be surplus shoots all over the place as a direct result of forum members making contact. We had a few at the range near Clinton, MO.

I would be curious how many of the old war dogs from the first forum are still around.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Sort of an old forum history I wrote up off the top of my head at this sticky: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2203 I miss the mid 1990s and early 2000s when you could go to a store and there was surplus firearms at reasonable prices so one could collect JCs of every year and both makers, RCs by the German receiver codes, or Mosin Tulas by the years. Candyman use to get them by the crate. Prices were generally under or around $100 a rifle. There was the thrill of the hunt... One time at a F&F store I came across 4 Mosins, all 1944 dated, M44s, all Tulas and I had to used my crews per diem money to buy them all. I had to race back home to drop off the boxes of rifles and go to the bank to replace the money for the archaeology crews per diem. Then there were the K31 Walnut stocked rifles at Dunham's special Black Friday sale at $119 a rifle. They opened at 05:00, I went to 5 different stores and ended up with 8 perfect ones. Great times, long gone... :violin: :violin:
I also miss the old Surplus Firearms magazine. Always a great read. viewtopic.php?f=87&t=108
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#6 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah. Those were the days. Best deal I got was a K-31 from AIM at $59.95 delivered. Probably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, but it felt awkward with a scope and my old eyes couldn't sort out the iron sights. Sold it for 3 times what I paid for it.

Back then you could get SKS's for under $100, and Mosin M-44's for $40.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#7 Post by Cattus Borealis » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:12 pm

The biggest change with this site is that it became a collector's forum.

Rapidrob and a handful of others are the only shooters left.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#8 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Cattus Borealis wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:12 pm
The biggest change with this site is that it became a collector's forum.

Rapidrob and a handful of others are the only shooters left.
That's not planned in any way, with one or two exceptions all of the old members are gladly welcomed back.
Spread the word to any you know of.

MustangHowie
United States of America

#9 Post by MustangHowie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Anymore to be a shooter you need to be a reloader. All part of the hobby I enjoy.

shoggoth80
United States of America

#10 Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:16 pm

I hear that. I don't have loads developed for everything, but I have dies for everything but the cheap semi auto stuff. I like being a little of both shooter, and collector. I try and take care of everything, but don't do safe queens.

LouisCali
United States of America

#11 Post by LouisCali » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I forgot how I found this place, but it was probably trying to find information when I stumbled upon the website, which has been gone for a while now, the one before the forum reset.

I just haven't been that active on web forums as much as I used to, busy with work and now school again. Though I do recognize some names on here.

Everything has changed quite a bit, the forums and the market.

MustangHowie
United States of America

#12 Post by MustangHowie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm

I think there aren't as many shooters and more collectors because the shooters are buying Ruger Americans and Savage Axis rifles now

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

#13 Post by vandle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 pm

MustangHowie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm
I think there aren't as many shooters and more collectors because the shooters are buying Ruger Americans and Savage Axis rifles now
I tend to agree, especially over in OZ, most surplus rifles prices are beyond what alot of people can afford
Your Rugers and Savages are alot cheaper these days.

Only the die hards still collect and shoot, a minority now
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert Einstein

shoot4fun
United States of America

#14 Post by shoot4fun » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:28 am

MustangHowie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm
Truth!
Now you can buy an entry level new gun that will often outshoot a surplus gun, and can be bought for less than a surplus gun. Surplus guns and surplus ammo aren't pouring into the country like they were 15+ years ago. $100-150 could get you a gun and a spam can of ammo. (I remember the $44 M44s and $35 cans of ammo) They were practically disposable. That's why people have been sporterizing them for decades. They were cheap and plentiful. Shooters and hunters alike could afford them over buying a new manufactured gun. As said above, surplus guns are in the hands of collectors, going to other collectors.

LouisCali
United States of America

#15 Post by LouisCali » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:08 am

Also another good reason why sporterizing milsurps is just stupid in these recent decades.

Return to “General Off Topic”