Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Battle of Midway movie

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

Re: Battle of Midway movie

#16 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:41 am

HMS Victorious sailed with USS Saratoga in the Pacific in early 1943 until the summer. Australia lost a heavy cruiser off Guadalcanal during the first of many night actions there.

IJN sank one British carrier in early 42 in the Indian Ocean. Most of the British fleet was protecting Atlantic sea lanes, which were a priority of the USA as well. Many Australian troops were captured when Singapore fell.

Just Google it up, it is all there. Just happened to read it myself before this internet thing happened.

Best regards,

Mark

tired bear
United States of America

#17 Post by tired bear » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:59 pm

I saw some previews of this "new" Midway movie on You-tube and I agree that it's going to be a massive CGI movie. And why do they think they can redo a great film and make it better than the original? CGI doesn't impress me outside films like Jurassic World for obvious reasons. Are film makers just getting lazy and greedy, trying to save a buck and time by doing it CGI over real time special effects? It'll probably be one big yawn like Pearl Harbor was.
182+ posts before the old forum crashed. :violin:

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#18 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:39 pm

The British Pacific fleet didn't start arriving in large numbers until after the Battle of Midway. They had to protect the Indian Ocean and fought a couple battles against the Japanese. If memory serves me right the Carrier Hermes was lost in a battle with the Japanese.

Thr kamikaze planes bounced right off the British flight decks and during the bad Typhoons the British carriers faired better than some US carriers. I heard of one report that Adm Halsey ask the British carrier adm how his ships were doing after the typhoon and the British replied what typhoon.

indy1919a4
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#19 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Real nice little youtube that shows a lot of detail and explains the battle from the Japanese perspective.. Helps explain some of the decisions made.

But this guy has only done the 1st half of the battle, one will have to wait to see who won the battle :).. Lot of good visuals and details..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo

tired bear
United States of America

#20 Post by tired bear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:41 pm

I watched the "old" Midway movie last night on FLIX and I just could not enjoy it because of the constant in your face inconsistencies . Pilots climbing into Wildcats and taking off in Hellcats, planes attacking the carriers with no bombs or torpedoes present, gasoline bombs on model ships, etc. I saw this flick when it was new and it just seemed to be thrown together so their LONG list of stars could have a job. I assume the "re-do" will be all fast action CGI like "Pearl Harbor" was and they'll have to really get their ducks in a row to beat "Private Ryan" and "Fury". I know these two had CGI, but it was tastefully and accurately done, or at least they tried.
182+ posts before the old forum crashed. :violin:

Return to “General Off Topic”