Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

JFK

Wolfe
United States of America

JFK

#1 Post by Wolfe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Who really killed JFK. It was not Oswald

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: JFK

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Please keep your comments civil & remember the forum rules.
Thanks.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Usually what a person says about the JFK assassination tells you more about that person then about the assassination..

But A very good book to go to is

Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK by Gerald Posner.

Incase you do not have time to read it you can listen to it for free on the You of Tubes channel..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5kGctnIj2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8XK636w4Ec
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:29 pm

There's a lot of misinformation out there, but a lot of it has been repeated so many times its becoming "fact".
I have one or two questions myself, but I think most of any "Cover up" or "Conspiracy" was probably the result of good ol' 'Murican CYA syndrome as the tale began to be fully reveled.
All I can absolutely guarantee you is it wasn't Lon Scott from the DalTex building with the 10th black king.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 pm

These conspiracy people are getting annoying, if not dangerous to a civil society. Not everything was, is, or will be a conspiracy. The easiest explanation usually is true.

I do remember one show trying to show Oswalt didn't do it because the ammo they were using didn't go boom so they were convinced Oswalt couldn't have done it. Of course, they failed to state how old the ammo was or whether similar ammo from that time period generally has degraded from 1963 to now and simply won't fire. As military surplus collectors and many of us are shooters, we all know surplus ammo often has gone stale and all you can do with it is pull the bullets. Unfortunately, the producers of the conspiracy theory show didn't bother to research that or would rather not let you know that. Beware cable TV history shows.

On a bright note, I did see a re-creation of the death of Admiral Nelson by a smoothbore musket from a perch on a ships mast. Remarkably, they hit the dummy on the first shot. Whether or not that was edited/faked remains to be known, but everybody in the scene was extremely surprised and they all had to be remarkable actors if it was false. Considering the crew were not comprised of professional actors, I think the first shot was not faked. I don't remember if they bothered to repeat the experiment.

Best Regards,

Mark

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Hmmm Maybe fake news is nothing new :)

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:39 pm

I don't find the term funny anymore as people find it an excuse to believe rather than think. I'd rather think on my own than be told how to.

Best Regards,

Mark

ammolab
United States of America

#8 Post by ammolab » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 pm
These conspiracy people are getting annoying, if not dangerous to a civil society. Not everything was, is, or will be a conspiracy. The easiest explanation usually is true.

I do remember one show trying to show Oswalt didn't do it because the ammo they were using didn't go boom so they were convinced Oswalt couldn't have done it. Of course, they failed to state how old the ammo was or whether similar ammo from that time period generally has degraded from 1963 to now and simply won't fire. As military surplus collectors and many of us are shooters, we all know surplus ammo often has gone stale and all you can do with it is pull the bullets. Unfortunately, the producers of the conspiracy theory show didn't bother to research that or would rather not let you know that. Beware cable TV history shows.

On a bright note, I did see a re-creation of the death of Admiral Nelson by a smoothbore musket from a perch on a ships mast. Remarkably, they hit the dummy on the first shot. Whether or not that was edited/faked remains to be known, but everybody in the scene was extremely surprised and they all had to be remarkable actors if it was false. Considering the crew were not comprised of professional actors, I think the first shot was not faked. I don't remember if they bothered to repeat the experiment.

Best Regards,

Mark
Oswald had Winchester-Western 6.5x52 ammo that was only 10 or so years old. Not at all similar to decades old Italian surplus ammo stored in Africa under poor conditions. I suspect the show tested the poorest condition surplus available.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#9 Post by HectorFuego » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:47 pm

I once heard it summed up like this, "We have the conspiracy theories because people cannot believe that someone as consequential as John F. Kennedy could be killed by someone as inconsequential as Lee Harvey Oswald."

There was a documentary on The Discovery Channel a couple of years ago where they tested every one of the theories. From the Zapruder (sp) film they could determine the speed of the car and exactly where it was when the fatal shot was fired. From that they determined that the shot could only have come from behind ... the grassy knoll and the overpass did not have a clear shot at that instant. If the shot had come from the right it would have also killed Jackie. The thing that really muddies up the water is the INSANE INCOMPETENCE of the Secret Service in dealing with the physical evidence in the car. Furthermore they insisted that the autopsy be performed in Washington vs by the Dallas coroner who was required by law to perform it.

Did Oswald pull the trigger? Not sure but probably. Was there a conspiracy? Not sure, but it's possibly. Nevertheless, I am convinced the shot that killed JFK came from behind. Anyone who has made a head shot on a critter and watched the Zapruder film should come to the same conclusion, and it's supported by autopsy results.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#10 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 am

ammolab wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Oswald had Winchester-Western 6.5x52 ammo that was only 10 or so years old. Not at all similar to decades old Italian surplus ammo stored in Africa under poor conditions. I suspect the show tested the poorest condition surplus available.
Came across this a ways back on the ammo

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... d-kennedy/

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:43 am

Once you strip away the nuttier conspiracy theories, & the outright hype it comes down to a fairly basic shot string any reasonably competent rifleman could have made.
90 yds @ 60°downward angle benched & supported against a slow-moving 9' X 6 1/2' receding target. The rounds fired we should compare for group size, not trying to “put them in the same holes” for example, that ,makes it impossible. Doubt me? OK, set up a 9X6' paper target, fire 4 rounds as carefully as possible from the highest grade match rifle with match grade ammo. Number them. Now exactly replicate every hole, ain't happening.
That alone rules out most of the need for “extra shooters being involved" to me.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#12 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Being gun guys you all should appreciate this. "JFK: Beyound the magic bullet." Has a great recreation of the assasination down to rifle and ammo.

I saw it back in 04 when it first aired. It was so good i was watching it a couple times a year.
I really believe they nailed it.
But then i was never a conspircy guy.
And just so you know i read the 1000 page "summary" of the warren comission report.
Dad had a cloth bound copy that ended up in my collectio .

jfk : beyound the magic bullet. 2004.

https://youtu.be/GOBAFqeaKgw
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#13 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am

Yes that was a very well done recreation of the events in Dealy Plaza. There was another one done by (IIRC) the Discovery channel where they built a tower reproducing the shooting angle & range. They towed a similar car at the same speed & an "expert" replicated the actual shooting. Then they had about 6 or 7 experienced shooters try & all succeeded. I don't remember the title though.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#14 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 pm

I saw a tower experiment with military surplus ammo. All I hear about that ammo is pull the bullets and keep the clips. The tower experiment in the death of admiral Nelson was funny since nobody on the set thought it was possible and yet they proved the historic shot could have happened as the sharp shooter with a smoothbore musket nailed the dummy right in the chest with his first round.

Best regards,

Mark

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#15 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

I and my Navy shipmates spent the day at the Texas Schoolbook Depository. What the media never shows is how CLOSE the shots really were. We are talking pistol range distances.
You are forbidden by a Policeman stationed at the window to photograph the exact angle of the shots and hold your camera out the window to do so.
Also you are not permitted to climb the bank and stand at the Railroad signal box and look back at the slow "S" turn going under the overpass.
Why would they stop you from doing this? what has to be hidden after all this time?
Checking my notes,you not allowed to take any photos at the third floor displays,inside or out of the windows.
Here is where the last shot was fired to,you can see how close it really is.
Hewes reunion 029.jpg
I'm standing on the "grassy knoll" once again it is Very close to the road. you could toss a beer bottle and hit a car.
Hewes reunion 026.jpg
I'm at the Railroad switching box,not 50 yards from the grassy knoll and was chased off by a Policeman
Hewes reunion 035.jpg
Hewes reunion 027.jpg
Here are two of my shipmates who are pointing at the third story window,I'm on thee grassy knoll, you can see how close it really is.
Hewes reunion 036.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “General Off Topic”