Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

United States Military Academies

m47dragon
United States of America

United States Military Academies

#1 Post by m47dragon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Do we have any graduates or attendees of our nation’s military academies? Specifically USAFA? My youngest son received his appointment on Monday. We toured the school a year and a half ago: very impressive. Not at all like the Marine Corps :D Any tips, pointers, etc?

DaleH
United States of America

Re: United States Military Academies

#2 Post by DaleH » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 pm

No idea ... but CONGRATULATIONS there Dad!

luigi
United States of America

#3 Post by luigi » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 am

Congratulations to you and your son! Good job by both of you. Colorado is beautiful.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#4 Post by Cattus Borealis » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am

Congrats!

Memorize Plebe knowledge before starting Cadet Basic Training. Learn the USAF Ranks. Learn to polish brass and do spit shines on low quarters. Get in running shape.

Good luck!

CMS
USMA Class of 2003

m47dragon
United States of America

#5 Post by m47dragon » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am

Thanks folks!

tired bear
United States of America

#6 Post by tired bear » Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 am

I visited the Air Force Academy back in the early 90's, didn't get to tour the buildings but toured their static aircraft displays. The old B-52 BUFF brought back memories of my tech school time at Chanute AFB Il. in 66-67. And you're right about Colorado being one beautiful state. I've lived in the south all my life but if I had to choose another place to live it would be Manitou Springs Col.
182+ posts before the old forum crashed. :violin:

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Tue May 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Learn all he can before he gets there, but don't be a know it all when he gets there, or he'll be singled out. Hope that makes sense......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

m47dragon
United States of America

#8 Post by m47dragon » Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm

ffuries wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:08 pm
Learn all he can before he gets there, but don't be a know it all when he gets there, or he'll be singled out. Hope that makes sense......
Makes perfect sense even to a Marine like me😁

My son graduated from high school this evening. His Eagle Scout Court of Honor is tomorrow morning. His induction day is June 27th. It sure goes by fast!

Thank you all for the congrats and advice👍

m47dragon
United States of America

#9 Post by m47dragon » Fri May 31, 2019 10:35 pm

tired bear wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 am
I visited the Air Force Academy back in the early 90's, didn't get to tour the buildings but toured their static aircraft displays. The old B-52 BUFF brought back memories of my tech school time at Chanute AFB Il. in 66-67. And you're right about Colorado being one beautiful state. I've lived in the south all my life but if I had to choose another place to live it would be Manitou Springs Col.
We visited USAFA and Manitou Springs in August of 2017. Beautiful areas indeed!

m47dragon
United States of America

#10 Post by m47dragon » Fri May 31, 2019 10:36 pm

Cattus Borealis wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am
Congrats!

Memorize Plebe knowledge before starting Cadet Basic Training. Learn the USAF Ranks. Learn to polish brass and do spit shines on low quarters. Get in running shape.

Good luck!

CMS
USMA Class of 2003
Thank you...and thank you for your service!

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#11 Post by Cattus Borealis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 am

Thank you!

ffuries
United States of America

#12 Post by ffuries » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

m47dragon wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm
Do we have any graduates or attendees of our nation’s military academies? Specifically USAFA? My youngest son received his appointment on Monday. We toured the school a year and a half ago: very impressive. Not at all like the Marine Corps :D Any tips, pointers, etc?
Another nugget of wisdom, that I learned from my dad, a career USAF Senior NCO, and I'm sure you have heard it during your time in. In this context I'll use the word NCO which is how it was told to me. Although my dad said the word NCO could be replaced with any word just about. Anyways here it is.

"A NCO who has never made a bad decision, is a NCO who has never made a decision"

We learn from our mistakes, those mistakes are what makes us better leaders. We can never and will never know the right decision in the beginning and do not be afraid of making the wrong decision. Because as we gain more experience we learn to read the situation and make the right call the first time. Hopefully all the learning takes place on the training fields, so we can excel on the battlefield.

So take the NCO, and replace it with Officer Candidate, then later Officer in his case. I wish him luck with his military endeavors and congratulations to both of you. Him for his choice and being accepted, and to you for raising such a fine young man.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

m47dragon
United States of America

#13 Post by m47dragon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 pm

ffuries wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm
m47dragon wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm
Another nugget of wisdom, that I learned from my dad, a career USAF Senior NCO, and I'm sure you have heard it during your time in. In this context I'll use the word NCO which is how it was told to me. Although my dad said the word NCO could be replaced with any word just about. Anyways here it is.

"A NCO who was has never made a bad decision, is a NCO who has never made a decision"

We learn from our mistakes, those mistakes are what makes us better leaders. We can never and will never know the right decision in the beginning and do not be afraid of making the wrong decision. Because as we gain more experience we learn to read the situation and make the right call the first time. Hopefully all the learning takes place on the training fields, so we can excel on the battlefield.

So take the NCO, and replace it with Officer Candidate, then later Officer in his case. I wish him luck with his military endeavors and congratulations to both of you. Him for his choice and being accepted, and to you for raising such a fine young man.
👍👍👍
Thank you. He graduated from high school last Friday...was awarded his rank of Eagle Scout last Saturday. In 20 days, he’ll be inducted and begin Basic Cadet Training prior to beginning the academic year. He won’t be 18 until September. And, it’s everything he’s been hoping for.

tired bear
United States of America

#14 Post by tired bear » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Re: Spit shines. When I was at Chanute, in tech school, I saw a few of my classmates doing a weird thing to spit shine their boots. They'd layer polish onto the toes and then squirt lighter fluid in it. Then they set in on fire briefly, blew it out and rubbed it out to a fantastic mirror shine. This quality of shine wasn't required but they just did it. High shines were required for awhile until an order came down to just polish and brush them. The brass thought we were spending too much study time shining shoes. They were right.
182+ posts before the old forum crashed. :violin:

ffuries
United States of America

#15 Post by ffuries » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm

:snooty:
tired bear wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:38 pm
Re: Spit shines. When I was at Chanute, in tech school, I saw a few of my classmates doing a weird thing to spit shine their boots. They'd layer polish onto the toes and then squirt lighter fluid in it. Then they set in on fire briefly, blew it out and rubbed it out to a fantastic mirror shine. This quality of shine wasn't required but they just did it. High shines were required for awhile until an order came down to just polish and brush them. The brass thought we were spending too much study time shining shoes. They were right.
Did my tech school at Chanute in 1986, a whole whopping 5 weeks and 4 days. We couldn't say 6 weeks, because we were a day short. We were referred to as Pop-Tarts, due to our short tech school. The lighter fluid/alcohol thing came to a boil, when an individual suffered burns from doing in. A message went out AF wide to cease the practice.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Off Topic”