Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Dick's Sporting to remove guns.

fafenman
United States of America

Dick's Sporting to remove guns.

#1 Post by fafenman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 pm

Looks like Dick's Sporting Goods is removing Guns from 125 stores. They are stating "Underpreforming" sales has helped make this decision.
https://www.al.com/news/2019/03/dicks-s ... tores.html

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Dick's Sporting to remove guns.

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm

The Dicks in West Bend, Wi closed due to lack of interest after they had no firearm related items. :clap: :clap: No loss. Our Gander Mountain- gun world store in Germantown, Wi also closed about 3 years ago. Just recently the Cabelas in Richfield, WI closed due to a fire and lots of water damage to all the expensive used guns and clothing. Again no loss. Biggest loss is damage to all the nice stuffed animal trophies on the walls. So a sign of the times; less shooters & hunters looking for over priced guns. Expensive ranges at $200 a year or more. :doh: The local hardware and gun shops sell more pistols for conceal carry and can beat the big stores. Dicks was always low end, you can get better sporting goods on line, than at Dicks. They can play the political game and maybe there is a lack of sales.

In WI, Dunhams Sporting stores in days past, sold lots of surplus rifles during the 2000-2010 time period, but now they dried up and their guns are not worth the effort to look at. They will be next due to low demand. Like I said, the local hardware and Fleet & Farm stores as well as hundreds of gun shows can beat out any price Dunhams or Dicks offers. Dunhams was great in its time, but the age of surplus firearms is gone. Dicks in Wi was always low end, cheep, Chinese made sporting junk. I do not remember them having any firearms in WI. The day of hunting , sports trap or target shooting, & trapping is a thing of the past. Most young guys never fired a rifle and do not know how to run a tractor, or even change a tire on a car. I had a young neighbor call an electrician to check his breaker and electrical switch. All he had to do is flip the breaker :doh: :doh: :snooty: Most young guys with families are not spending $1000 on some rifle- they got too many other bills. No time to ice skate, hunt or fish...
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:25 am

How long do you think it will take before Dicks starts closing large numbers of stores. They are over priced on almost everything. All these big chains have too much overhead and too many people at the top taking too much money, most Duhnams stores look like crap cant keep help and sells a ton of junk. On line ammo sales are killing most places you can get ammo 5 bucks a box cheaper on line than at Duhnams and that includes shipping🤔

Pauljbk
United States of America

#4 Post by Pauljbk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 pm

We use to do all our shopping at dicks which was quite alot with having kids in sports and even bought a couple rifles there. I haven't walked in one since they started the anti gun stuff awhile back, I hope they do go out of business.

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm

When will companies realize that when they go full JSW there profits go down it's ok to change with the times but you have to realize your company has to make a profit and not always listen to the loudest voice. Your core customer may be the one with no voice.

Sporting Goods companies should hire a CEO who enjoys the product they sell. It's like the NFL hiring a CEO who hates contact sports and wants everyone to be safe and never get injured :violin:

HectorFuego
United States of America

#6 Post by HectorFuego » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:08 am

While pandering to the gun control crowd they failed to recognize that the folks who buy guns also buy ammo, hunting gear, gun safes, tree stands, bows and arrows, boots, fishing gear, camping gear, etc. So basically the stuff that fills one third of their floor space. Now, after taking a dump in the mess kits of thirty percent of their customer demographic, they blame Amazon for the fact that they are no longer profitable. :naughty:

Anyone else notice the irony? :roll:

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Hippycrowe
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by Hippycrowe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 am

I buy much of my stuff at Big R I rarely buy anything from Amazon too expensive.

I think Dicks is in for a long slow death executives will get a golden parachute and the employees will get nothing.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:46 am

:think: :think: Big R ?? a farm related product store or sports store? Never been to or seen such a store? What is the R for?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Pauljbk
United States of America

#9 Post by Pauljbk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Yes big r is basically a farm store and we have a few here in Illinois, they do have a pretty good firearms department

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm

That sounds like our WI Fleet & Farm stores. They are all over the state of WI. They sold tons of surplus and surplus firearms and ammo back in the day. The good old days when Turk Mausers were $59, No.4 enfield at $129 I loved those Savage Enfields, Mosins at $79 & later $109, then the Yugo rifles $99 M48 & M48A rifles, Tok pistols and just some neat stuff. Most of it was in Century boxes graded excellent or very good. It allow lots of people to collect great rifles by the year. Lots of kids got Mosins as a first hunting rifle. And to make matter even better, they always had great sales on the rifle & ammo. The gun counter gal or guy always let you go through the boxes to select the best of the lot during the middle of the week day, especially if they knew you would buy 2 -5 at a time. It was always worth taking a side trip to one of the stores during work travel. My best time was when Russian 7.62 x 54R was on sale at $29 at tin of Albanian (440 round spam can). I went up to the desk with a wood box of 2 tins ( 880 rounds) and the gal charged me $29 for the box-- being an honest Marine, I told her she was wrong, she informed me she was a manager and I was wrong.

Well, you do not have to correct a Jar head twice- I took great advantage of the situation. I went to the truck, dropped off the box and then went back in and purchased the pallet of some 20-25 wood cases of 2 tins each at $29 a box. I had the crews weekly per diem in cash and used it to buy the ammo. Loaded it up with the help of one of there guys and headed to the bank to replace the crews per diem. What a heist!
None of my crew thought it odd that the project field supervisor and academic archaeologist had 25 cases of ammo in the back of a University truck for a week till I could get back home. I tried the same ploy at the Stevens Point F & F store, but it was $29 a tin for the Albanian on sale, and they did know the correct price. :shhh: :( I still have 5 cases of that ammo left, and that was back in 2002- 2003. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now back in the day Dunhams was great for the M95 carbines, the K31s, and the RC mausers-- Fleet never did have these. But on Black Friday, Dunhams had those nice walnut stock K31s on sale at $79 a rifle. We all picked up some great examples, you had to get there at 05:00 to get the best of the best. Drive to Milwaukee, then Fond du Lac and other stores; generally by noon, the best ones were gone and just the beaver chewed, Beech stocked k31s were left. Sturgeon Bay, WI Dunhams was alway rich with nice example because not many drove that far to get a rifle. A tourist area , more fishing & boating than hunting. Back then most collected that odd straight bolt rifle by year; the first and last years were the hardest to find. One would grab those in any condition when you stumbled onto a rare year.

MadPick
United States of America

#11 Post by MadPick » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 am

Good. Dick's has made a conscious effort to screw over gun owners by actively endorsing gun control, and any damage to their business is well-deserved.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#12 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 am

They're "doubling down on Virtue Signalling".
I hope they realize the kind of money they're losing to make a point, because they certainly don't seem interested in making wise business decisions any more. 10% sales drop overall, closing 35 Field & Stream Stores & so on, but they don't seem to be having a problem with that.
I guess they think that spandex clad millennial trail bike riders & golfers will flock to them & more than take up the slack?

Pauljbk
United States of America

#13 Post by Pauljbk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 pm

At least they have the right name for their stores.

One too many
United States of America

#14 Post by One too many » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Our local funny named version closed 2 years ago. The Field and Stream has been getting smaller and smaller in the gun department for one year.
I stopped going after my friend quit being the gun shop manager. I still go and look every month or so. Our town of 100k people only has two gun stores now, with a few things at Walmart. It is a very liberal town surrounded by more conservative counties. Charlottesville Va. surrounding counties have better shops, or at least more. Even Walmarts out of our area are better.
We are 15 miles out where it is more sane. Gunsmith and range nearby!
My favorite local shop closed when the liberal store owner wouldn’t renew their lease, for more money and it is now a different store. The former owner told me he paid rent on time for 20 years.

Greenmachine
United States of America

#15 Post by Greenmachine » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Never bite the hand that feeds you !

Return to “General Off Topic”