Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Amazing, Shermans vs Panzers last tank battle 1960s

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Amazing, Shermans vs Panzers last tank battle 1960s

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Always amazing how military hardware hangs around and is in use decades later. I would have hated to feed and upkeep those Panzers in a battlefield like that.. Parts must have been hard. But looking at some of the knocked out tanks, it seems they were in a more defensive mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbgW9C9G0H4

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Amazing, Shermans vs Panzers last tank battle 1960s

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:39 pm

That is cool.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Just goes to show you what quality design and manufacturing is capable of decades it was declarer obsolete.
Thanks for sharing the link.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

M67
Slovenia

#4 Post by M67 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

When I was in the middle East I visited Israel and their Tank museum in Latrun. I saw all protagonist in 1967 war. From Israeli IDF side and from Syria Panzer IV and the STUG. It was very educatuive, And next photos are from tank museum in THUN, Switzerland. It was very interesting.

Latrun tank museum: Sherman medic evacuation armoured vehicle, super sherman (105 mm), sherman howitzer (155 mm)
Attachments
sss.jpg
sm.jpg
sh.jpg
s.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

M67
Slovenia

#5 Post by M67 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Some photos from THUN. Me and Merkava in Israel and Panzer IV and STUG assault gun.
Attachments
thn5.jpg
thn.jpg
sms.jpg
merkava.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Fantastic photos... many thanks for posting...

Next time get that guy out of the way, hes blocking the tanks ... :)

Nice to place a face with a name.. I take it they did not mind you climbing on the vehicles.. Or was no one looking...

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes, Israeli engineers proved that the Sherman was vastly more upgradeable than the Panzer MkIV. Hey, with a gyro stabilized gun, a better engine, more armor, and a much bigger gun, the upgraded Sherman could have gone tiger hunting. Even the Pershing didn't have a 105mm gun and neither did the king tiger. I'm sure they had rounds for the 105mm that made it even more effective, but even a 17pdr on a Sherman firefly could penetrate a tiger with more ease than most people know with enhanced ammo. They too grabbed for anything they could get their hands on, but at least they upgraded what they got. I don't see the Syrians doing much new with their panzers.

I can only imagine the Battle of the Bulge with the Americans armed with Israeli super Shermans. What a difference that would have made? As it was, proximity armed artillery rounds weren't too bad either.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “General Off Topic”