Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Quite in here

Aladinbama
United States of America

Quite in here

#1 Post by Aladinbama » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:54 pm

It's pretty quiet around here. Does nobody buy or shoot guns anymore?

steamer
United States of America

Re: Quite in here

#2 Post by steamer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes it is :( - I've been doing a little bit of buying but way less shooting than I'd like.

With the availability of milsurps being down and the prices going way up, I've reverted back to getting more modern guns. Although I never stop looking for bargains wherever they pop up.

Got so desperate a while back that I bought a Polish P64 since I had initially avoided them. Turns out that I kind of like the little pistol. That, and one of the surplus Beretta 92's, were my only two milsurps during the past two years.

As far as other items, I've added a S&W Shield 9mm, a classic Ruger GP100 and Security Six, plus a S&W Victory .22 during the last two years. So as the milsurps are harder to find, I've basically been working to fill the gaps in my collection overall. Funny though how when you fill in some gaps, more gaps appear elsewhere. :D

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Too hot to shoot much here in Ohio One thing I have noticed prices on some guns that are actually selling on Gun Broker are going down saw a really nice 1903 in the correct stock no bids and started at $550

DaleH
United States of America

#4 Post by DaleH » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Too hot too shoot ... 95+ humidity here in the nor’east! Kayaking has been great though.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 pm

yep, just too hot in NE Ohio to shoot. the ODNR is located in the middle of the wet lands, humidity is murder . I don't even venture out there in june, july and august. all my shooting is done in march, april, may and September October.
Last edited by Ghoulardi on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#6 Post by nrobertb » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Even here in northern Michigan it has been too hot and humid to shoot. It isn't any fun when sweat is running down your shooting glasses. apparently no one is buying guns locally either. I have several on consignment at a local gun store but there haven't been any buyers since early spring. Probably things will pick up in the fall.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#7 Post by Cattus Borealis » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Anyone doing any target shoots?

I have been training up for the National Matches at least the 200 yard bolt gun shoot portion...

I sold a couple of guns to buy a nice Krag. An old lady had a 1899 made Krag for sale.
20180709_144838.jpg

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#8 Post by Hippycrowe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Been shooting my krag but the flys and ticks are so bad when I shoot at my dads woods you just can't enjoy yourself. I really like the rifle you have nice
Attachments
20180519_154115.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am

Gun show season is like Sept to May. Summer month shows have never been well attended due to so many other activities, antique fairs horse, steam/ tractor shows, vintage car shows, county & state fairs, summer vacations, fishing & boating at the lakes and so many other family outside activities. In WI the guns shows pick up at the start of hunting season and die out at spring. Shooting also sort of dies off due to hot weather in summer and cold frigid weather at snow covered ranges in winter.
Heck, at the cost of surplus rifles at current shows, few people can afford to buy 3 -5 rifles like in the past when most surplus rifles sold around $200-500. Few can buy or collect a wall racks full of Mosins, Turk Mausers, or K98s. Ammo is also a wee bit pricey, the 10 cent a round surplus by the pallet is shot up, or the ammo shot up in price too crazy.
Price at the Ranges is also increasing. My range went from $26 a year dues to $129, most ranges are around $125- 300 per year and the open, free state ranges have been closed due to lead, noise, or anti gunner complaints. There are less ranges, cost of memberships have gone sky high due to insurance. My range no longer allows you to bring visitors. Members only.
Indoor ranges are nice, but about $15- 20 bucks an hour and pistols only. So it has become a rather expensive hobby for retired people or younger people just starting a family. Too many small villages and cities are going to a no shooting in their city boundaries, even if your on a farm. You really got to drive a bit to get to a friends farm land or a range you can actually shoot at that is outside town limits. In Shawano up north, the range is infested with ticks in spring, and in summer its swarming with Wis. mosquitoes since its located near wetlands outside village limits. So limited ranges, heat, bugs ammo costs ---less people shooting. I have more fun shooting my Webley pellet revolver replica in the basement- cheep ammo no one even knows I am shooting. The pellet webley: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =49&t=1676
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#10 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:23 am

I enjoy shooting my 22 as much as my Garand or Fn 49. If you want to have fun find a place that has a muskrat problem and use a semi automatic 22 you will have a ton of fun I shot 50 in a week in my dads wetlands.
Some ranges have too many range Nazis who shoot 3 rounds and the go down range and look at there targets for 10 minutes lol

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#11 Post by nrobertb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:37 am

Are there still any open dumps left or is everything in managed landfills now? Shooting rats at the dump used to be a hoot.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#12 Post by Cattus Borealis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Northern NY is strange. The most expensive range here only costs $30 per year.

I enjoy summer shooting. It is slightly better than arctic shooting.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#13 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:53 pm

I hunt often in the winter you have to practice with gloves on to be a good shooter a good pair of Mickey boots helps

Return to “General Off Topic”