Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Banned again .....on my Chromebook!

luigi
United States of America

Banned again .....on my Chromebook!

#1 Post by luigi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Well I was banned for 3 months back last summer because my IP address showed I was a spammer? Got back last October and all was good until this week? Now when I login it says “ Found in Stop Forum Spam Database”. This is only on my Chromebook. ( I am typing this thread on my iPhone ). Can your tech nerd fix this? Thanks Luigi

rob
United States of America

Re: Banned again .....on my Chromebook!

#2 Post by rob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

I have the same problem with my IP address. I can only get on if I am away from home.
I have sent several emails to try to get it fixed but no one has ever responded

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by RWS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 am

You're not banned, Luigi. You are going through the same problem you had in June, and Rob is now along for the ride.

The problem is that this new board has a spam filter. It looks at user names, email addresses and I.P. addresses. If I understand it correctly, somewhere on the internet the spam filter has found a match on one of those 3 items where a spammer has used them. Your remedy is to get your internet provider to change your IP address or contact the board owner here, Seth (user name ElricFate) and provide him with your user name and I.P. address so he can exempt it from the spam filter. The spam filter is automatic and built into the board. Nothing is going to change until a human intervenes with enough info to do so. Contact Seth.

-Bob

elricfate
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#4 Post by elricfate » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am

First off, I didn't get a single email from you rob, sorry you're upset, but nothing came to me or the admin email.

Second off, I set the threshold in the stop forum spam check to 5 (it was set to 3 instances of your email address or IP address showing up) -- I turned off the username checking because that is a bad unique identifier.

Having said that, unless you provide an IP address to have the ban removed, it can't be removed. But your first step should be releasing/renewing your IP address lease to get a new IP address. That's the easiest fix. Us removing the ban entirely/manipulating the database is a nuclear option that we shouldn't use.

Return to “General Off Topic”