Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Night hog hunting

Hippycrowe
United States of America

Night hog hunting

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm

www.wideopenspaces.com/107-down-in-minu ... ZmM5In0%3D

Wow that is a ton of hogs I did not realize they were that big a problem. I have 2 night vision scopes and would love to go hunting in Texas. That thermal scope is exspensive.

HectorFuego
United States of America

Re: Night hog hunting

#2 Post by HectorFuego » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 am

Yep! They are a big problem in certain areas of Texas. There are also videos of hunting them from a helicopter. Looks like fun but very expensive fun.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

professrh
United States of America

#3 Post by professrh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 am

They're a scourge. And according to the Alabama Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources, you have to kill 80% of the hogs on your land every year just to keep the population from expanding (link: http://www.outdooralabama.com/control-m ... feral-hogs ).

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#4 Post by Hippycrowe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I have an ATN digital scope that has night vision both green and black and white you can see very well at night. I guess I am going to have to find a place to hunt hogs.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#5 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 pm

So I gots to know... Do they BBQ these rascals afterwards.. I know they have to get rid of them... It would be a twofer if they were tasty ????

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm

A member of my club, NM MILSURPS, went to the Out Back in Australia last week for a night time deer deprivation hunt. The Red Deer have over run the ranches and compete for water and grasses. One his first night of hunting he shot 40 deer. By the time he was done with the hunt he and his Aussie friends had shot over 140 deer and did not put a dent in the Red Deer population.
All four deer types were imported into the country last century. All are now out of control in the bush.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#7 Post by Hippycrowe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 am

Starlings are a big problem on my dads farm I shoot them all summer. The European s gave us starlings we gave them coon lol. Animals taken out of there natural habitat and away from there main predators can run wild.

silverfox
Isle of Man

#8 Post by silverfox » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

Been going to Texas for an annual hog hunt since 2001. I bought the gen 1 atn x-sight a few years back. With an upgraded IR illuminator it does a great job of extending my hunting time.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#9 Post by Hippycrowe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 am

I have a Gen 2 night vision scope in some ways its better than a digital ot works just with star ligjt or moon light alone. On really dark nights it has a built in IR.

Hams03
United States of America

#10 Post by Hams03 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 pm

Wild hogs can be quite tasty. I have killed a few on public land here in Florida, and cooked them all. The big old boars can be a bit gamey, nothing smoke and marinade cant cure. The ones under 50 lbs are quite tasty, have little fat, and are easy to carry 2 miles back to the truck. The big one are a s.o.b. to drag back.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#11 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Hams03 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 pm
Wild hogs can be quite tasty. I have killed a few on public land here in Florida, and cooked them all. The big old boars can be a bit gamey, nothing smoke and marinade cant cure. The ones under 50 lbs are quite tasty, have little fat, and are easy to carry 2 miles back to the truck. The big one are a s.o.b. to drag back.
Many thanks... Now that is sweet when a nuisance critter that need getting rid of tastes good to boot.. where as it may not be as sporting to shoot those little ones.. I did thing they would have been tastier then the big ones

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#12 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

I bet they taste much better than pesky coon that get in your barn or trash, old saying says save the cows eat more coon (yuck)

Return to “General Off Topic”