Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

shoulder surgery

swede
United States of America

shoulder surgery

#1 Post by swede » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 am

Well all I am headed out pretty quick to go for shoulder replacement surgery. I have put this off for a long time. My dr. is a gun guy and he says no more 12 gauges, no more rifles over a .308. I guess I will be thinning the herd in the future so I can buy other guns!

HectorFuego
United States of America

Re: shoulder surgery

#2 Post by HectorFuego » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:26 am

Ouch! :o That shoulder surgery is no fun. I haven't had it myself, but knew a guy who had a rotater cuff repaired. I certainly hope yours goes well. Sounds like a 20 gauge gas operated semi is in your future. As far as rifles go, you might switch to cast bullets and light loads. Not much more recoil than shooting a .22 rimfire.

Good luck.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

gabe
United States of America

#3 Post by gabe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am

I hate to hear that. pretty much any orthopedic surgery isn't any fun (I had 2 knee surgeries). I'd also recommend what Hector said and try cast bullets. I don't shoot anything besides cast in my bolt action milsurps anymore. Low recoil and a box of 20 will set you back less than $5. Wish you the best with your surgery.

swede
United States of America

#4 Post by swede » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 am

thanks guys. I was only in the hospital 24 hours before they kicked me out.lol The pain isn't to bad as long as I keep up on the tylenol and the ice. Looks like a long recovery for me but I knew that going in.

i

gabe
United States of America

#5 Post by gabe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 am

Glad to hear it went well. My only advice is if they have you on the "good" painkillers, try and wean yourself off as quick as you can stand it. They can do a number on your digestive system. I think it took a week for me to get regular again after my surgery.

rob
United States of America

#6 Post by rob » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

I had my rotator, labrium and bicep all torn off the bone and they all had to be pinned back, the recovery was long and painful but I still can shoot all my big boys.
I would not thin that herd just yet, wait and see what happens

swede
United States of America

#7 Post by swede » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:30 pm

I only take one pill at night to make sure I sleep well. I am not a big fan of pain meds. I stop them as soon as I can. Rob that doesn't sound pleasant at all

i

shoot4fun
United States of America

#8 Post by shoot4fun » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Glad to hear surgery went well. Total shoulder recovery is slow, have to let the tissues heal first, then get motion and as much strength back. All takes time. Usually about 10-12 weeks before you can do much strengthening. All depends on the surgeon, surgical techniques, implants used, etc. Listen and follow your doctor's protocol, go to therapy as directed.

Don't get rid of your bigger guns, just learn to shoot off the other shoulder. It is a fun learning experience.

Return to “General Off Topic”