Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WWII Era Commercial Souvenirs

United States of America

WWII Era Commercial Souvenirs

#1 Post by nrobertb » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm

During the WWII era there was an enormous cottage industry producing souvenirs for servicemen and women who didn’t have the opportunity to pick up something on the battlefield. Virtually anything that could be printed on or engraved on was made. Many brass items were made from empty shell casings, everything from lamps to ashtrays.

My mother’s brother was a sailor stationed in Japan right after the war. He sent her a large blue felt square printed with “War in the Pacific” and a map of the islands. I can imagine that her reaction was “What the heck am I supposed to do with that?” Probably more to her liking was a bracelet of silver Australian coins, engraved with a date and place.

My father’s sister was a Navy nurse stationed at the Yokosuka naval base in Japan following the war. She sent me this belt buckle, perhaps made from an artillery shell. She also sent the little bell which is stamped inside the rim with “China”.

Re: WWII Era Commercial Souvenirs

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:49 pm

selling souvenirs to soldiers stationed in far off places, either durning the war ie V.N. or post-war, peace time, is nothing new, I bet it was also done during the roman times.

when I was stationed in Korea, Germany, and a short time in Gitmo and when we were in kobar towers after DESERT STORM waiting to get back home. they all had shops or local vendors selling just about every imaginable souvenir to soldiers, notably with their country's name on it etc..... from small trinkets to jackets.

Return to “General Off Topic”