Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Cold enuff for you?

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Cold enuff for you?

#1 Post by vonalt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:37 pm

This morning here in western Ohio it was -13 degrees Fahrenheit. Not the most coldest I have experienced, that honor would have to go back to 1978 when the Ohio River and Niagara Falls both froze over that winter. Back then it got down to -26 or so. Just curious what has been the coldest weather you have experienced.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: Cold enuff for you?

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:45 pm

the coldest I have experienced was when I was stationed in Korea, -10 to -20 was pretty much the norm when the Siberia winds comes sweeping down the peninsula, anything above 0 degrees was a heat wave during the winters there. it wasn't unusual for the diesel in the vehicles to gel, if you didn't put enough inhibitor in the fuel tanks . everywhere else in the army the anti-freeze in vehicles was protected to -20, except in korea we had to make sure it was protected to -40. and replace the water and sulfuric acid mix in the batteries with pure sulfuric acid, if we didn't the batteries case will crack

during the entire winter we had to assigned members of the platoon to start and run the vehicles for 10 minutes every hour or so throughout the night and over the weekend to make sure the batteries stayed charge and the vehicles would start in case a alert was called.

so, that is the coldest I ever experience winter. for 2 tours
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Tommy Fox Stone
United States of America

#3 Post by Tommy Fox Stone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:33 pm

It got down too 20 degrees here this morning...
Shoot, Shoot, Shoot Your Gun, Kill Them All Right Now. Bang!, Bang!, Bang!, Bang!. Life Is But A Scream!...

C.S.A...

dmg4
United States of America

#4 Post by dmg4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm

-33F in Watertown, NY, without the wind chill. Since you lose all feeling pretty quickly at that temperature, what's it matter if it's colder?
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#5 Post by Hippycrowe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Love this cold I get to use my Mickey bpots and wool coat tiok a walk actually got to warm

ffuries
United States of America

#6 Post by ffuries » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

The coldest temps I've experienced sub 0 F, Coldest I've been/felt USAF Combat Survival School S-V80-A. I've never felt colder than I did during survial school, I shook the entire 6 days we were in the field portion of it. Snow was about 2 - 3 feet deep in areas, and no matter what I did I couldn't get warm.

Wierd that I've been in colder weather but survial school was the coldest I ever felt.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 pm

I've sailed in -50F in the North Atlantic. Salt water freezes in the air instantly and hits you like bird shot in the face.
Here in the High Desert of NM I have seen -20F.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm

When we were conducting HALO drops out of Pinal Air Park, it was around -40 F at 18,000-20,000 feet when we dropped the ramp and made our drops.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#9 Post by Airforce1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 am

Attachments
you_know_its_cold_outside_when30_photos25_1419930188.jpg

LouisCali
United States of America

#10 Post by LouisCali » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

It was -17 static here earlier in the week, and windy.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm

ffuries wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm
When we were conducting HALO drops out of Pinal Air Park, it was around -40 F at 18,000-20,000 feet when we dropped the ramp and made our drops.
Yeah, but you weren't "up there" very long, but I can see windchill being a bit much for those 10~12 seconds. :lol:

ffuries
United States of America

#12 Post by ffuries » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm
ffuries wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm
Yeah, but you weren't "up there" very long, but I can see windchill being a bit much for those 10~12 seconds. :lol:
Ramp froze open on the first drop, we had to fly around with it open as we descended until it thawed enough to close. I missed the second am lift, as I went to buy long underwear and make a breakfast run.

I pitied the poor guys we were dropping! We would do two lifts early am and two early afternoon (2 in the dark, 2 in daylight), then bed the bird down for the day. My unit flew MC-130E Combat Talon 1's at the time.

Fun watching them jump, but you couldn't pay me enough to do it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

m47dragon
United States of America

#13 Post by m47dragon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 pm

Thermometers are for chumps. It's January in Northern Michigan. Nothing new. Having said that, I must admit: wearing flip flops to go outside to start my jeep was not one of my smarter moves.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#14 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

We had the opposite problem. I was thinking of the jumpers who'd drop to lower altitude & warmer temps quite fast, not the drop crew who stayed up there!
:shock:
We had sealed environments in PR-7s & to a lesser extent PR-9's, so no wind, but the "bubble blown" canopy was a greenhouse with a magnifying glass in it so we broiled in our small toaster oven until we got a bit of altitude & some windchill action on the skin to dump excess heat! Plus of course we had all the kit strapped, draped & snugged everywhere to keep body heat in. :violin:

ffuries
United States of America

#15 Post by ffuries » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm
We had the opposite problem. I was thinking of the jumpers who'd drop to lower altitude & warmer temps quite fast, not the drop crew who stayed up there!
:shock:
We had sealed environments in PR-7s & to a lesser extent PR-9's, so no wind, but the "bubble blown" canopy was a greenhouse with a magnifying glass in it so we broiled in our small toaster oven until we got a bit of altitude & some windchill action on the skin to dump excess heat! Plus of course we had all the kit strapped, draped & snugged everywhere to keep body heat in. :violin:
I understand the kit remark, I did aircrew life support, so we maintained the survival kits, parachutes, helmets etc. Hated dealing with the flight equipment after crews flew missions in hot areas. Nothing worse then sweaty helmet liners, harnesses and g-suits. I worked fighters and transports (Special Operations and trash haulers) during my career.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Off Topic”