Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#16 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Some of the pieces reposted
IMG_0272_zpsnckmrg0z.jpg
IMG_0278_zpsv3imiuhw.jpg
IMG_0286_zpsuoksoyzn.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

#17 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

A gas version of the snead lamp, the first one I have seen. Pics from the ebay sale offer. Valued at $150 :doh:
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
s-l500-1.jpg
s-l500-1.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
United States of America

#18 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

So I am delighted. :dance: :dance: :clap: I just got a lower pencil or cigarette holder from the lower portion of an Uncle Ed Victory lamp. That is the Victory lamp that was made with three removable sections. I have not got it yet, but it came from an estate in Somerset NJ which is approximately 24 miles from the Morgan/South Amboy factory site of the WW I explosion. It is a shell base lacking the hole seen in lamps and is marked "Victory Nov.11, 1918 75 m/m Shell". The base of the shell is marked 149 V S 2. It measures approximately 2 ¼” in height by 3” in diameter--- a 75mm shell. This cut section weights 2lbs.14oz.. I will provide some pictures when it arrives. I have also noticed there are few Victory lamps to be found and most seem to be $100 plus

Actually what I never see for sale are relic, dug, metal detected as found rusty shell casings from the Morgan- South Amboy area in NJ.
I wonder if any are in antique stores in that portion of NJ.
:think: :think: :think: :pray:
So here are the picture of the 2 previous reported ashtrays
file.php.jpeg
file.php.jpeg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 149 times
file.php.png
file.php.png (201.29 KiB) Viewed 149 times

72 usmc
United States of America

#19 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Here is my ashtray I just found. It is a little different; Markings vary on these Victory ashtrays. For some reason the photos will not post tonight??????????? I will try later. Went to the gal next door and with a new Mac computer --no problem. Time for the 2003 mac to go :lol: :lol: :lol:

So here is a different sort of WW I Victory ashtray. Unlike the lamp base the ashtray is not drilled all the way through and the placement off the Victory logo is near the base and not the middle like a lamp. So these were made as containers/ashrtays? and are rare finds. The metal copper band is absent on this one. I am not sure if it was made this way, or it was taken off? As much variety in these as seen in the lamps. In any event, a rare find. There are many more lamps, than Victory ashtrays. :? Like I stated above, this came out of an estate in Somerset, New Jersey. My ashtray is marked with 3 lines: "VICTORY" at the top, "Nov.11, 1918" in the middle, and "75 m/m SHELL" at the base. On the bottom/base of the shell, it is marked 149, V, S, 2.
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
s-l1600-1.jpg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#20 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am

That is really cool. A nice piece of history.
A good friend of mine and a member here may have a real WWI "Dough Boy" helmet for my lamp. The original wire for the lamp I have from a project years ago.
The lamp shade will be almost impossible to find for less than a new rifle. I may just have to imper vise.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
United States of America

#21 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm

A little history on the VICTORY ashtray. See
http://www.morgan-nj.org/blog/sample-pa ... -ash-tray/
...the Victory Lamp and lamp shade, the ash tray was awarded a patent. Patent number 53,397 was filed on December 4, 1918 – exactly two months after the explosions which started on October 4th – and awarded on June 3, 1919.

Return to “General Off Topic”