Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#16 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Some of the pieces reposted
IMG_0272_zpsnckmrg0z.jpg
IMG_0278_zpsv3imiuhw.jpg
IMG_0286_zpsuoksoyzn.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#17 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:39 pm

A gas version of the snead lamp, the first one I have seen. Pics from the ebay sale offer. Valued at $150 :doh:
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (15.67 KiB) Viewed 6417 times
s-l500-1.jpg
s-l500-1.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 6417 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#18 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

So I am delighted. :dance: :dance: :clap: I just got a lower pencil or cigarette holder from the lower portion of an Uncle Ed Victory lamp. That is the Victory lamp that was made with three removable sections. I have not got it yet, but it came from an estate in Somerset NJ which is approximately 24 miles from the Morgan/South Amboy factory site of the WW I explosion. It is a shell base lacking the hole seen in lamps and is marked "Victory Nov.11, 1918 75 m/m Shell". The base of the shell is marked 149 V S 2. It measures approximately 2 ¼” in height by 3” in diameter--- a 75mm shell. This cut section weights 2lbs.14oz.. I will provide some pictures when it arrives. I have also noticed there are few Victory lamps to be found and most seem to be $100 plus

Actually what I never see for sale are relic, dug, metal detected as found rusty shell casings from the Morgan- South Amboy area in NJ.
I wonder if any are in antique stores in that portion of NJ.
:think: :think: :think: :pray:
So here are the picture of the 2 previous reported ashtrays
file.php.jpeg
file.php.jpeg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
file.php.png
file.php.png (201.29 KiB) Viewed 2475 times

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#19 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Here is my ashtray I just found. It is a little different; Markings vary on these Victory ashtrays. For some reason the photos will not post tonight??????????? I will try later. Went to the gal next door and with a new Mac computer --no problem. Time for the 2003 mac to go :lol: :lol: :lol:

So here is a different sort of WW I Victory ashtray. Unlike the lamp base the ashtray is not drilled all the way through and the placement off the Victory logo is near the base and not the middle like a lamp. So these were made as containers/ashrtays? and are rare finds. The metal copper band is absent on this one. I am not sure if it was made this way, or it was taken off? As much variety in these as seen in the lamps. In any event, a rare find. There are many more lamps, than Victory ashtrays. :? Like I stated above, this came out of an estate in Somerset, New Jersey. My ashtray is marked with 3 lines: "VICTORY" at the top, "Nov.11, 1918" in the middle, and "75 m/m SHELL" at the base. On the bottom/base of the shell, it is marked 149, V, S, 2.
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
s-l1600-1.jpg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#20 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am

That is really cool. A nice piece of history.
A good friend of mine and a member here may have a real WWI "Dough Boy" helmet for my lamp. The original wire for the lamp I have from a project years ago.
The lamp shade will be almost impossible to find for less than a new rifle. I may just have to imper vise.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#21 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm

A little history on the VICTORY ashtray. See
http://www.morgan-nj.org/blog/sample-pa ... -ash-tray/
...the Victory Lamp and lamp shade, the ash tray was awarded a patent. Patent number 53,397 was filed on December 4, 1918 – exactly two months after the explosions which started on October 4th – and awarded on June 3, 1919.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#22 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Well I was on eBay and there and behold was a rare Morgan Ashtray under "trench art" and no one bid so I just got another nice well used Morgan Explosion Ashtray. This one has the same inscription as the above one, but has the copper band and a brass liner on the bottom. This one came out of East Windsor, Connecticut and was originally found in a thrift store. Found Jan 11 2018 so there are still some out there, but far less common than the Lamps. Due to its patina this one must have been in a basement or attic for some time. I was elated to find it and actually get it for a steal. $32 for a $100 relic from the explosion
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#23 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 pm

More photos of my second Morgan Ashtray.
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG

Tidewater_Kid
United States of America

#24 Post by Tidewater_Kid » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to re-post this. I hate to think about all the items that were lost on the previous board.
Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
Preserve Historic Artifacts for Future Generations: Collect Firearms

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#25 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Anyone on the forum have a Morgan Snead lamp that they can post a picture of ?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#26 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 am

I'm still looking for the lamp holders and other parts.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#27 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Instead of drilling the helmet so it fits one inch lower and has a lamp final on top. I got a large 3 1/2 inch diameter washer and set this on the lamp screw so it acts like a hat stand so the helmet sits one inch higher, but it is not damaged and can be changed out if I find a better helmet. Those $20 WW I doughboy M1917 helmets now go around $100 for one with the liner intact & chin strap. So here is the finished lamp with an intact helmet sitting on the lamp washer like a hat stand. Works perfect. Complete with Edison reproduction bulbs.
Attachments
Picture 4.png

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#28 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:58 am

A similar Morgan type Lamp, but an odd shade. Base appears different, and I do not think this is a Morgan Lamp. This is an actual picture of a similar lamp used in the house notice the cord is plugged into a ceiling socket. It appears that the base is another example of wood, the light socket I can not clearly see. This must be early electrification lacking wall sockets just ceiling sockets- notice its a cloth wrapped cord that is plugged into a ceiling socket. I am not sure what type of shade that is-- glass or metal? The family is in their Sunday best, not common work attire- although they do not appear wealthy city folk . That is a player piano. Must be post WW I, but no date? :think: Say the mid 1920s?

source Picture is mine, I just purchased it. After I receive it, I hope to see better details on this 8 x 11 photo
Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 11.39.06 PM.png
My photo arrived and it is original, but fuzzy. So here are some close up shots of the lamp and cord. The cloth twisted cord is plugged into a ceiling socket on a 3 socket ceiling fixture common in the 1920s. One of the globes has been removed and the lamp cord/plug is plugged into the fixture's socket. Notice it is a old plug like you see on my lamps example.

The lamp base is a different contour and stands higher than the brass base from a true WW I, Snead base, Victory lamp; it does appear to be metal and not wood. The shell is also different form a Morgan explosion 75 mm shell casing; it seem shorter and still retains the shell fuse that screws into the top of the shell. this may be the later M1907 Scovil lartillery shell and not the 1897 French-American artillery shell seen on Snead lamps. The rotating ring is intact and does not show rifling grab marks to the copper rotating ring. Actually, there is no evidence of the band with the biblical quote. Maybe the shell was cut short atb the rotating ring? Also notice the lamp in the photo has a single pull chain light socket; one can see the chain with a round brass ball at its end. The lamp's shade appears to be some sort of tiffany style, dome shaped, iridescent finish, art glass. This might be an iridescent mushroom 10" or 12 " dome shade used in an inverted manner. Take notice that there is no shade finial; it is attached by a lower wire hanger assembly of some sorts.
So here are some macro close up views taken from the 1920 photo of the cord and lamp shown in my photo:
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 am, edited 11 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#29 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Some pictures of other lamps. Source is on line grabs and arms list auction house. Recent lamps. Note the variation in helmets and the one with a French helmet :snooty: Also see the variation in patina of the shell body from the black to rusty to like new steel. Some of these non Snead lamps have different bases and the shell lacks the copper rotating ring with the written script: “They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.” You can tell if a fired shell has been used to build a trench art lamp if there are rifling grab marks (looks like a curved notched pattern on the rotating) on the copper rotating band near the base of the shell.

Few have the original red/black, push button shuttle switch or the double socket pull chain. Most of the sockets seem to have been changed out as well as the cord. Few people restore these lamps with an original, cloth wrapped cord or original socket with a screw top for a harp. Also few retain the original 2 prong end bakelite plug. Only a few examples of original double socket lamps have been observed. There is lots of variation in these lamps, but the most commonly seen in dirty old patina examples that are still in original condition have the brass base, a single red/black, push button shuttle socket, and the black paint with the inscribed ring on the shell. Notice the two lamps found in the garbage and my original double socket lamp for original parts. Also on the first page look at the more original lamps, they do not show a large modern harp attached on the lower socket to hold the helmet. this is incorrect for an original condition lamp. As seen in most of these 5 examples, there are modern, larger harps set below the replacement socket. I believe the original on a single socket lamp screwed onto the top portion of the brass socket and was a short harp design???? I love the first lamp picture that shows original patina in the arms list auction photo.

571294_01_1918_wwi_victory_lamp_640.jpg
571294_01_1918_wwi_victory_lamp_640.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
wwi-ww1-morgan-explosion-75mm-shell_1_d2e8a64fe058a505a5732de34807d117.jpg
wwi-ww1-morgan-explosion-75mm-shell_1_d2e8a64fe058a505a5732de34807d117.jpg (52.77 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
post-729-1233713557.jpg
images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#30 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:25 am

more examples: Note, the second photo is not an original Snead Lamp- it is a vet made trench art lamp from a 75mm shell. The first photo with a modern shade is newly redone, it is an unoriginally restored lamp. Like taking an original Indian head penny and cleaning it to remove the original patina :snooty: :doh: . Take a look at the vintage socket with the screw threads near the bulb base on some of the examples. A single pull chain is not correct on an original lamp- it is an old vintage socket, but not one normally observed on a Snead lamp. Likewise any turn key switch with the old vintage flat knob or the modern round knob is not correct. One must pay attention to the patina and newness of the parts on the lamp as an indicator of incorrect replacement parts. Most lamps have incorrect cords & plugs.

It is observed in the many period ads that there are no double socket lamps and no turn key single socket lamps shown. The lamp I own and the other double socket Snead lamps all have slight variations. Also the ones that have drilled helmets all have modern brass finials. Notice my finial -- its original with patina . The 3 documented double socket Snead lamps all have Bryant pull chain sockets.
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
another way too newly restored see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... tory-lamp/
s-l1600.jpg
images-5.jpeg
images-5.jpeg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
images-4.jpeg
images-4.jpeg (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
images-3.jpeg
images-3.jpeg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Off Topic”