Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#31 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:05 am

This appears to be an intact lamp except for the cord and some replacement pats. Notice the harp around the socket and the short finial similar to the one found on my lamp. However, it has a silver socket and maybe this is a turn button replacement socket, but it still maintains the short lamp/helmet harp. The lamp light socket should be brass- it was replaced.
see link https://www.pritzkermilitary.org/explor ... /985705284
75 mm Victory lamp
Lamp has a metal base. Attached to the base is a 75mm bullet. Inscribed on the projectile is "VICTORY Nov 11 1918 75 M/M SHELL." Inscribed on the driving band near the bottom of the projectile is a verse from Isaiah 2:4 in the Old Testament of the Bible, "THEY SHALL BEAT THEIR SWORDS INTO PLOWSHARES AND THEIR SPEARS INTO PRUNING HOOKS: NATION SHALL NOT LIFT UP SWORD AGAINST NATION, NEITHER SHALL THEY LEARN WAR ANYMORE." Affixed to the top of the projectile is an American light bulb socket, which would hold the light bulb. The socket has the inscription, "LEVINTON PATENTED 250 W 250V." The lamp cover is a WWI American doughboy helmet and has the measurements 12 cm high x 31 cm wide.

Show Fewer Details
OCLC #: 985705284
Physical Location: Special Collections — Hunter — REALIA 03574
Personal Collection:
WWI Hunter Collection
Production, Publication, Distribution, Manufacture, and Copyright Notice: [Jersey City, NJ?] : [Snead and Company?], [after 1918]
Physical Description: 1 lamp : metal ; 63 cm high x 8 cm wide x 17 cm in diameter
p16630coll41150-409.jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 12.00.52 AM.png
My lamp finial
IMG_0289_zpscahevjri-1.jpg
IMG_0289_zpscahevjri-1.jpg (48.05 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
The correct brass socket ( a Bryant, red/black, shuttle push button switch with screw top) found on the 2 Queens garbage company finds shown on the first page
sarah-blog-pictures-75-mm-lamp-lead-melting-pot-001.jpg
sarah-blog-pictures-75-mm-lamp-lead-melting-pot-001.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

This photo is an example of the short harp on a socket.
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 3.01.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 3.01.22 PM.png (74.03 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#32 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Here is a double socket Snead lamp. This is very much the same as my lamp, but even this one has had some socket replacement. Notice different chains and the different socket colors of the brass patina. They both look like Bryant sockets that have been observed on most double socket versions. The mount head is also similar to my lamp. The socket on the left side of the photo with the shorter chain is identical to what is on my lamp. Also of mention is the fact that the Bryant pull chain sockets original to the double head Snead lamps, do not have screw threads for a harp.

Some speculation. This must have been one of the many different patents for these Snead lamps. In contrast the single socket, Snead lamp does have a red/black shuttle switch socket that has the screw threads for the small harp. One final observation. The Bryant two socket lamp head seems to consist of two types: a fixed socket or a rotating socket. This lower example shown in the picture has each individual socket screwed on to a mount stud extending from the head. In contrast, my lamp has two sockets that extend from a pivot on the lamp head- they can rotate slightly. I am not sure if different small factories made different lamps as per their supply of parts, or if the many different patents covered the single socket and the two versions of double socket lamps? Some lamps had helmet shades some had the parchment shades. I have not researched what each patent number covered and how many patent numbers were obtained by the Snead Company to make these lamps. There appear to be far less examples of the double socket Snead lamp and I have never seen an original parchment shade version. The double socket lamps seem as hard to find as the Morgan ashtrays.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -523866983
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 12.52.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 12.52.51 AM.png (182.08 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.20.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.20.23 PM.png (198.6 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.20.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.20.55 PM.png (214.06 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#33 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I have still have not encountered an oil lamp version of the Snead lamp. There are the more common electrified versions, a gas version show in this post and the oil lamp version. Anyone have a picture of Snead WW I shell oil lamp?

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#34 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:30 pm

"Want to be" Snead lamps that do not make the grade. Close but no cookie.
More like home made trench art copies...
Two of these examples, the gold one and other painted( red grey & black) one could possibly be horrendous modifications of Snead lamps. I can see no evidence of the markings on the band. :snooty: :think: :roll: Base and top cap on the shell looks correct on these 2 :cry: But it could be any 75 mm shell. We will never know. There should be a 5 day waiting period on spray paint...
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (27.47 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.56.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.56.46 PM.png (161.58 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.55.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.55.21 PM.png
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

Next I think we need some photos of original parts :think: :think: :think: :roll:

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#35 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Here is an interesting "want to be" lamp.
s-l1600.jpg
The shell is a little different, but still a nice base and over all nice home made trench art piece:
s-l1600-1.jpg
:idea: Did people notice that none of the 1918-1919 ads show a tall finial on the helmet. Is it a tiny brass rounded nut or short finial? Or did the helmet sit on a large washer and the helmet was not actually "drilled" on the original lamps??? I see what appears to be the helmet''s liner rivet-- no real finial :shhh: :shifty: :think: :think:
Most original lamps found today have the shell body, but are not found with a helmet or parchment shade. Most found today have a drilled helmet with a late 1940s-1960 finial. This may take some research. There is no evidence of a helmet liner or chin strap shown in the period ads. :shifty:

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.34.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#36 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 pm

From the original specification sheet for an electric Snead lamp with a single socket. It is equipped with
.. six feet of No. 18 bronze colored parallel silk cord and a two piece [push or screw] Bryant No. 700 attachment plug. Outlet for cord through base.
Conical, spun brass, stationary bronze finished, shell cap.
Bryant push button switch, electric light socket.
Spring wire shade holder with cast brass ring screwing to top of socket.
Incandescent light bulb is furnished with lamp on account of varing kinds of current and danger of breakage. Use any large standard bulb, preferably 60 watt Tungsten or 75 watt Nitrogen.

Some views of period lamp parts.
views of the correct harp, socket, and plug
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#37 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Views of latter period lamps parts commonly used to rebuild /rewire an early Snead lamp. All of the below are so incorrect. :doh:
A large hap instead of the small one, a modern finial, a harp placed under the socket and while it's a correct looking push button socket- it has a hole for slightly different applications. Wrong cords -plastic wire, large and small prongs. And a variety of horrible looking incorrect sockets non brass, silver or early & late turn switch. Note the Black on both sides of an incorrect shuttle switch made of non brass and just screams wrong...
If you actually are going to the effort & expense to restore an Original WW I Snead Victory Lamp please seek out the correct vintage parts and Bryant switches with a correct patina- no pimp shine to the brass and new paint. And my southern friend puts it:" It just ain't right" :whistle: :violin: :violin: :shhh: :snooty: :hand:
Old lamps on flee bay can be a friend to finding correct vintage parts.

If you are lucky, your lamp will only need a reproduction cloth wrapped, twisted cord and original plug--maybe the original will still be on the plastic cord. If by some odd chance you have an original parchment shade on a Victory Lamp please document that rare jewel here. It is free to join this nice forum then add to this data base. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG
IMG_1404.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#38 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

For those that need some info on 75mm artillery ammunition:
best to view, MAIN TYPES OF ARTILLERY AMMUNITION IN 1914-1918 :
http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/de ... tions.html

next best with way too much info is the cartridge collectors society: AN INTRODUCTION TO COLLECTING ARTILLERY SHELLS AND SHELL CASINGS
http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=in ... ll-casings
16_FrenchM1897_75mmShell.jpg
273290IMG0999.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg

The Snead lamp shells (projectile) were never fired in an artillery piece. The rotating band/belt is intact and shows no signs of artillery cannon rifling grooves on the rotating band/belt. On an actual patented Snead Lamp, this band is actually inscribed with the a scripture quote from Isaiah 2:4 written around the band near the bottom that says: “They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.” The Snead Morgan patented ashtray does not have this quote written on its rotating band/belt on the ashtray. The patented ashtray also never has rifling marks from a shell that was fired imprinted on the rotating band/belt. Some ashtrays are missing the rotating band. The patented ashtray will have the" Victory Nov. 11 1918" Inscription on its side and there are two versions. See page 2 for ashtray descriptions and photos.

A trench art made lamp utilizing a fired projectile shell will exhibit rifling marks (evenly spaced grooves set/imprinted from the cannon rifling) vertically on the rotating band. Some trench art made ashtrays will also exhibit these marks- they are not the Snead ashtrays.They do not have the "Victory" inscription.
The Basic Nomenclature of the 75mm ammunition's two main sections are: the brass cartridge case also called a shell casing and the projectile also called the shell- the tip that is shot out of the barrel. The brass cartridge case is removed or ejected from the back of the artillery breech. On the shell (projectile) there is the fuse that screws into the top -this is missing on a Snead Lamp and replaced with a brass cap. You also have the copper rotating belt/band near the bottom of the shell. This has the scripture quote inscribed on it and lacks any rifling grooves because the shell was never fired in an artillery piece. See the above 2 references for a much more detailed review.

A Snead Lamp , a non fired shell with intact rotating band with inscription:
IMG_0265_zpsjebphkl3.jpg
IMG_0265_zpsjebphkl3.jpg (48.54 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

75 mm shells fired with rifling imprints on the rotating band commonly seen on non Snead, trench art, made lamps:
S6300117.JPG
S6300117.JPG (39.13 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#39 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 pm

An interesting German made trench art oil lamp. The source is flee bay photos. This must be somewhat similar in construction to an actual Snead patented OIL LAMP version. I have never seen a picture of an oil lamp version of the Snead lamp and its shade type. Surly, it did not have the helmet or paper parchment shade??? I assume it had a clear glass oil light chimney-like shade ??? Like the gas version show in the post, the oil version most likely had a brass base like the other Snead lamps. But that is pure speculation!

German made trench art shell oil lamp. Notice this is made from a fired shell body. No base. Possible 77mmm shell mounted with a Kosmos-Brenner oil burner and the empty shell body acts as an oil reservoir for the lamp. Photo source is Robin Antiques in England. I assume this is a German shell. It could just as well be a French 75mm picked within the German lines. I show this odd oil lamp because you do not see these too often and the Snead Lamp must have had a similar parts make up. I have no idea why it was painted red? It would be interesting to see how the brass base is attached to the shell. Just screwed into the fuse threads, or is it soldiered into place and modified some way since the base of the oil lamp stays put in the shell. The other piece with the wick screws out of the brass mount that is mounted to the iron shell. Shipping and import fees on this heavy item is a price killer. I'd love to have this example.
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#40 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Here is an exploded 75 shell. Source: ended auction
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-artillery- ... 7675.l2557

Frank (metal detector find)
Recovered on private land with owner’s permission, this exploded 1907 Scovill Shell from WWI dated 1918 manufactured date on shell. It was found on the outer edges of Camp Pike Artillery Range, North Little Rock, AR. Used for training Arkansas National Guard Troops going to Europe during WWI.
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg

To battered for trench art use :doh: :doh:

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#41 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:10 am

Rapidrod here is the view of my lamp top, so I did not drill my helmet. The helmet values have gone sky high especially if the liner and chin strap remains intact on an original WW I helmet. Even a reenactment reproduction WW I helmet is $85. If you look at the original ads from 1918-1919 it appears that no finial was used to attach the helmet and maybe the helmet just sat on something. There are no pictures from an original lamp that shows just how the helmet was attached or sat. What is shown is the lack of a post 1930s harp attached under the socket.
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png (97.03 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

Or the pictures may show a low profile small nut? There is no photographic evidence of how the helmet was actually attached. Most lamps that remain intact with the push button red/black switch and screw threads on the top of the all brass, Bryant socket, have the socket intact but are missing the screw-on, short, lamp harp and the helmet. Pic of correct parts except for the lower socket with hole.:
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (56.39 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

I decided to keep my original helmet intact. I constructed a sort of hat stand out of the top of the lamp. This adaptation is similar to a hat stand like you would see a hat sitting on at a hat store. I was too cheep to pay almost $6 for a large 3 inch brass washer that I could age and give it a nice used patina. This would work great set on top of the short harp that screwed onto the top threads of the Bryant push button socket. I was cheep. Hence, I used an antique cookie cutter as a washer to act as a hat stand so the helmet remains intact. Pics on the way I got to go to library to post.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#42 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm

here is my Hat-stand-like modification to my original Snead lamp. I am looking for a photo of an intact lamp with the single socket that was never modified so we know how the helmet was actually attached.

IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG

My lamp with helmet:
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (403.94 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#43 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:39 pm

I can not find the reproduction of a vintage 1920s, Screw on harp. What they have as a replacement is what parts suppliers call a" harp saddle adapter" that fits onto the socket. But you then have to also buy a harp loop, and hold down nut. So your best bet is to attempt to find a vintage original screw on harp- they are very difficult to find unless you are in an antique shop that has parts or a lamp rebuild store(Lighting store that deals with vintage lamps). The Price is generally $15-25 bucks since so few have survived. I guess that is why most use a modern harp set below the socket when they rebuild a lamp.

The new adaptor- a harp saddle adaptor, comes in different sizes to screw onto the top of the socket---not correct, this is the best fit/use for a reproduction part that would still screw onto the upper socket. Then you buy the correct size harp loop (height & width) and nut. Look up "Harp saddle adaptor".
Of course its always best to use period correct vintage parts- but they cost.
31ygMLeUgHL.jpg
31ygMLeUgHL.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 1167 times

Here is a later 1940s more correct screw on, short harp for a Snead lamp upper attachment that is not a correct period1920s --its later say 1940s, but closer than the reproduction alternative; finial is too modern:
s-l1600.jpg
You can find these sometimes on eBay, but generally with groups of parts :doh: so 1 out of 10 is what you end up with. I will try to post photos a correct 1920s screw on harp later. Some of these originals that screw on allow one to switch out the harp loop to different sizes, others like this one shown above are fixed to a specific size. This type of harp was utilized on short bedroom night stand lamps. Early 1940s living room table lamps generally had the more sturdy and common larger harp that attached under the socket.

The antique store in a local town had a box full of these more common larger types of harps, but only two of the screw on harps-- and both were on an older lamp. You may have to buy a entire lamp to get the parts you need. In a perfect case one would have a Bryant, push button shuttle socket (red/black button) and the correct, short, screw-on-harp, and a nice older 1920s cloth cord and bakelite plug. :dance: :dance: Well worth the $25-50 for a lamp to use its parts. In WI we have huge rummage/antique fairs in the summer where people sell all sorts of items. Thousands of tables of dealers/people selling their goodies, I am going to start looking in the boxes of parts for these old correct lamp parts. For that matter, also vintage 1920 lamps that might have working parts. What I have never seen at these fairs is an actual WW I Snead lamp in any condition? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#44 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am

Here is a vintage 1920s screw on lamp harp. I had to buy a beat lamp just for this part. A wee bit too much patina, but the lamp was found in a barn.
Notice the low, round, brass finial and the shade washer. Also notice the upper screw top piece for the finial is welded and does not turn like 1930s-1940s examples- the one shown in the above post. I got this just in case I find a single socket Snead, Morgan Lamp on the cheep. :shhh: :pray: :pray:
I got this yesterday after a forum member informed me how had these are to find. Like I said, the antique store had about 70 harps, but only two screw on ones- both on lamps. And guess what, you had to buy the lamp to get the part :snooty: :doh: :lol: :lol:
To my knowledge no reproductions are made of this part.
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#45 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 pm

If you are going to the trouble to rewire your antique lamp- use the cord & plug correct for the lamp' s time period. For a Snead this is a cloth wrapped twisted cord and/or a cloth wrapped parallel cord and non polarized plug. Shown below are correct half moon, hard rubber or bakelite plugs.

For reproduction cloth cords and plugs or other vintage lamp reproduction high quality parts see:

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/?gcli ... gJRavD_BwE

Twisted cotton woven cord by spool or by the foot see: http://www.antiquelampco.com/LampParts.htm

http://www.mylampparts.com/?&campaignid ... gLN8_D_BwE

http://www.antiquelampco.com/LampParts.htm

Rayon/cotton mix cord see ; two kinds: http://www.antiquelampco.com/Catalog/Cord.htm

Also note that new vintage reproduction plugs have different size/color prongs and are not the same as an old vintage plug where both prongs are the same size.
Polarized Reproduction ---not really vintage & and a vintage plug is really best from a collector point of view. While safe these stick out, actually scream "reproduction parts"
B48542_small.jpg
B48542_small.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
A vintage plug will look similar, be made of bakelite plastic, but have a non polarized plug consisting of two prongs of the same color and width.
So one has to order the correct reproduction plug - a non polarized plug such as this example shown below. It is always best to have aged original parts on an antique lamp.

non polarized plug repro.
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 2.47.46 PM.png
An original aged plug -non polarized
IMG_1373.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG (38.85 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Off Topic”