Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#121 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Next we will see my Uncle Ed Lamp. It came from an estate in Schenectady, New York. The "Uncle Ed Lamp" is another version of a Snead factory WW I lamp. These lamps are very, very, difficult to find. They were sold by the Decorative Arts League at 175 Fifth Avenue New York. (Not at the Snead & Co. Iron works Inc., at Pine Street Jersey City, NJ. It has a different tag on the bottom (not the 75 m/m VICTORY LAMP tag ), But the UNCLE ED tag :
s-l1600-2.jpg
Source: American Legion Weekly Magazine, Vol. 4, 1922
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.47.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 1.48.15 PM.png
Source: Electrical Merchandising, June 1919, page 323. Patents ca. 1919, # 53225 the lamp shown in upper right hand corner in the lower picture. These photo shots enlarge if you click on them. This is the lamp I have and will show. "Shorty" 53225.
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 2.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 2.07.08 PM.png

I can not find any photo documentation of an Uncle Ed lamp, so this may be the first set of close up views of an actual Uncle Ed shorty lamp. Photos to follow. I got to find my camera :cry:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#122 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm

UNCLE ED LAMP, Patent 22 April 1919, #"Shorty" 53225. Photo documentation

My original Uncle Ed lamp was abused over the last 100 years, it was dropped, possible mid section lost maybe??, depending on type & patent (Both a tall & short version). It got rusted & worn, then repainted with a cheep silver paint on the body and a copper paint on the base and cone. Both secondary coats came off with lacquer thiner easily. It also had a late 1940s replacement cord and harp. The helmet is missing. This is what it looked like when I got it.
s-l1600-10.jpg
Restoration this lamp included putting a replacement, period correct, cloth cord back on the lamp and removing the silver & copper brushed on paint with a wipe of Lacquer thinner & soft rag. I was surprised to find an original olive drab color, not the brass, on the brass parts as the original finish on this lamp. It is the original finish because on the base of the lamp, the bottom is also painted a drab olive paint and this color is somewhat clean and it has the original paper "UNCLE ED tag pasted down over this finish. This lamp has a drab olive green paint as a finish on the brass parts. This is a spray finish and the Lacquer thinner did not remove this hard enamel finish. It is nice even factory sprayed paint on both the base and cone. The body of the lamp was not painted black; rather, it was originally a polished steel shell body that aged & rusted over time. The polished surface is the way an "Uncle Ed" lamp is shown in the black & white ad from 1919. The former owner must have wanted a more silver color and just brush painted silver only on the shell body. No silver paint was found inside or on bottom of the shell case. After paint removal, the shells surface remains as an aged dirty looking metal with some light rust. This was left as is, after the paint was rubbed off. I did not want to polish the shell case like new.

These lamps have a dual purpose light socket with a shuttle switch. This is the original lamp socket. It is the same as show in the period ads. The light bulb socket has two possible routes to run the cord: straight down like a normal lamp, or off to the side and down the outside of the lamp. The cord comes off the side so the lamp sections can be separated on the "Uncle Ed" lamp. The socket is beat, but still works fine. The table protection, white, rubber ring remains intact on the base, but is rock hard.

The 75mm shell was cut into sections, they were each given an assembly number (on this lamp each shell part was stamped with the number 618). These sections were then stamped and machined so each section locks together with a twisting motion. A small vertical line (index mark) is stamped on the outside of the shell to align the shell bodies so the can be put together. The upper section (top of the shell) has stamped notches that fit into grooves that have been machined into the lower section (base of the shell). Align the index mark, the notches drop into the groove, and a twist to the right locks the lamp sections together. The presence of an assembly number make me wonder if each lamp was number due to a need for some hand fitting during production. The shell sections lock together rather snug--- a nice fit. The tag indicates a Patent date for this lamp as 22 April 1919. This is the first "Uncle Ed" tag and lamp I have seen and own. I have not found any pictures on line of actual "Uncle Ed" lamps with intact tags.

The Tag is similar to the Snead "75 M/M VICTORY LAMP" tag. The "UNCLE ED" lamp tag reads as follows with 9 lines:

"UNCLE ED"
Manufactured by
Snead & Co., Jersey City,
for
THE DECORATIVE ARTS LEAGUE
175 Fifth avenue, New York.
This lamp was made from a genuine United States Government French American 75 M/M shell
saved from the Morgan Explosion.
Patented April 22 1919 other Patents Pending

IMG_2068.jpg
Here is the lamp.
IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2113.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#123 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:46 pm

The lamp base brass, factory painted green with wear. Uncle Ed
IMG_2114.jpg
These greens appear as more true colors on the top, under where the shell sits there was discoloration, the bottom was clean& has the manufactures tag glued over the original color that looks nuts on, and the tray has sort of two shades due to wear, dirt, and age -Sun faded????
IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2101.jpg
IMG_2103.jpg
Notice that the Uncle Ed lamps have a convex base/tray ; it curves inward to produce a tray. In contrast, the Snead lamp generally always is seen with a concave base with a rounded outward base. I do not know if all Uncle Ed lamps were painted Olive drab? Most Snead, tall Lamps have a black locomotive type paint on the shell while the cone and base remain unpainted brass.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#124 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Uncle Ed shell pieces stamped with an assembly number 618 and view of Index mark
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg
IMG_2074.jpg
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#125 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Uncle Ed Lamp shell sections and machining for locking the sections together.
IMG_2072.jpg
IMG_2073.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#126 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Uncle Ed Lamp socket and older cord off another vintage lamp
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg
IMG_2109.jpg
IMG_2110.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#127 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Uncle Ed lamp upper cone and attachment parts, all original Photos three and five show the green color as close as possible the way it actually appears. In other photos the light washes out the true appearance of the green color
IMG_2087 (1).jpg
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg
IMG_2091.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri May 24, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#128 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Uncle Ed parts all original last set of photos
IMG_2096.jpg
IMG_2079.jpg
IMG_2081.jpg
IMG_2082.jpg
IMG_2092.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#129 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Uncle Ed Lamp before restoration and after. One last view.

Before as found
s-l1600-7.jpg
Restoration
IMG_2117.jpg

the group Snead & Uncle Ed
IMG_2123.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#130 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Funny thing, to most, these lamps are garbage. My wife hates them, they will be the first things to go...

I believe this to be the original style helmet found on the Uncle Ed lamps, even the 1919 ad shows a white interior. See page 7 for the lamp associated with this helmet. This is an IMA lamp that sold 22 Sept 2018. I am unsure if this lamp 's base was green or brass prior to restoration. And to make matters worse, they used an incorrect, cheep modern socket and wrong polarized cord and plug. Maybe this lamp also has an incorrect base. It is not the same concave tray-like base as found on the " Uncle Ed" lamps. I have no idea if this lamp comes in sections. Close inspection shows the cord through the center of the lamp- consequently it can not be sectionalized because the cord hole is not present in the different sections. The sections can not be separated with a cord running through the center of the tall lamp. :idea: :arrow: On "Uncle Ed" lamps the cord runs down the outside of the lamp. This is shown in the 1919 ads.

I guess I should state for the record that the vintage screw on harp is added by me so I can set a WW I helmet on the lamp. This "Uncle Ed" lamp came with a 1960s harp positioned under the socket. This was removed as it is incorrect. I believe the clip-on attachment and helmet shown below is most likely correct. Even the 1919 ad shows a helmet tilted at different positions, something not possible if the shade was drilled & attached by a finial. Also, please notice, the 1919 ad does not show a finial on the top of the helmet??? It has to be a clip-on assembly as shown below! But try to find such an original brass helmet shade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: I will make do with a vintage 1920s harp that screws onto the threads of the socket so I can position a WW I helmet
on it like I did with my Snead lamp. This is shown in my picture with the lamp lighted. The helmet will sit on a 3 inch flat washer like a hat stand. I will not alter an original $100, WW I helmet by drilling a hole in the top of it for a lamp. The helmet can sit on top of the make shift hat stand- inact. See page 3, bottom. Best I can do, until I find an original shade as shown below. WE NEED MORE UNCLE ED LAMPS Photo documented . :think:
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 6.59.45 PM.png

IMA confirmed that this helmet is brass and has a white painted enamel interior. It is not an actual WW I helmet painted brass. I wonder if the thin brass stamped helmet is actually lighter than an original WW I steel helmet and that is why they were used with a clip-on device inside the brass stamped helmet????? I believe it was especially made for the lamps due to its lighter weight so it can clip on the bulb without tipping over the lamp- a real odd ball. I also wonder how many of these sectional "Uncle Ed" lamps were produced. At least 1,769 :shhh:
I have never seen such a brass helmet with a painted white interior for sale at any military or gun shows.
ON7080__05.jpg
ON7080__05.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 712 times
ON7080__11.jpg
ON7080__11.jpg (31.81 KiB) Viewed 712 times
IMA is International Military Antiques link https://www.ima-usa.com
A very nice company that is reputable and is a fantastic source for some great military antiques for fair prices. Great shipping & packaging.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#131 Post by 72 usmc » Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm

:doh: :o :snooty: Two more Snead Morgan lamps that took abuse over the last 100 years. One with a cheep replacement socket that is so incorrect it's a joke. Modern harp under the socket- also so wrong. Both with incorrect cords & plugs and then lets spray paint the lamp so it is really trash. :cry: I guess there is a need to ban spray paint. O the horror! :violin:
At least the socket on the second lamp is original. Click on the photo for a view of the true abuse :violence-stickwhack:
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.30.11 PM.png
Compare these to the recently sold Snead lamp shown on page 8 and sold by Goodwill that was in perfect condition even after 100 years:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/66993766
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 1.41.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.48.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.47.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.51.17 PM.png

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#132 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:12 am

Need I say any more about spray paint? Best kept away from Snead lamps. Why? O the horror,
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic”