Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#91 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

moved up to keep on page 1 :lol:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#92 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:11 pm

I've got mine done. Using a retro looking LED bulb. yours are nicer.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#93 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm

How about a nice photo of that lamp?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#94 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:04 pm

I just was outbid on this interesting piece of paper from the factory. Picture source is from the lost eBay bid. Ha, I beat the dog out with my zapper program at the last second---it is mine at $12 :dance: A nice piece of Morgan Factory History!
This prayer is a modification of the old Christian/Catholic childrens prayer we learned as kids: "Now I lay me down to sleep"

A nice original document to go with my lamp and ashtrays :shifty: Photo of paper document shown below. I am also providing a second similar prayer.
There must have been different take offs of this prayer.... Here is a source to a second version dated 1919.
see :
https://books.google.com/books?id=vdI5A ... ke&f=false
s-l1600.jpg
A second different version from the above link, looks like they did not have the full version; This is from the ( Journal of Electricity, January 15 1919, Vol. 42, No. 2 ) Both prayers most likely date to WW I 1919.
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 9.39.28 PM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#95 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Enlarged version: click on it and it is easy to read.
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 10.00.47 PM.png

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#96 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Here is a real disaster-- as wrong as can be for a restoration and its being sold by IMA. edit in pink :arrow: :arrow: :geek:
After some study I may be in error
See source for more detailed photos. If it is a Snead Company lamp, This poor lamp has the wrong finish on the shell- no paint- scrubbed; incorrect paint on the helmet-although and interesting attachment method, this is first time I have seen this; incorrect socket-not even a brass one- a cheep chinese replacement socket; and finally the incorrect cord and plug. But only $300 + :lol: :lol:

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/origin ... table-lamp

All 5 pictures are from IMA ---Snead Morgan Lamp-- MAYBE AN UNCLE ED LAMP ? What a shame its been so poorly done (maybe not):o However, I wonder if the helmet attachment is original????? An interesting idea because the original ads do not show how it was attached from the inside of the helmet view, yet they also do not show a lamp finial. This may indeed be a picture documenting an original attachment for a single bulb electric lamp.
Please read lower comments about conjectures.
ON7080__01.jpg
ON7080__03.jpg
ON7080__11.jpg
ON7080__05.jpg
ON7080__06.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#97 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:44 pm

ON7080__05.jpg
After some thought :think: :think: :think: :think:
This is a very interesting photo of the helmet if it's of an original period attachment shown on the IMA lamp example. And is this helmet brass? Does anyone else have a lamp in original condition where the helmet remains and has such an attachment?????????? Is this a brass helmet or is it painted brass? I can not tell. The helmet is intriguing. Please provide some photo documentation. This is the first time I have seen a published photo of the inside of the helmet.

Also of interest is the split lines shown on the body of the shell. This attribute is seen in the "Uncle Ed" lamp version of the Morgan lamp, but not on a "Snead Company" version of the Morgan lamp. My Snead Company lamp has a smooth shell that is painted black. I wonder if this is an example of an Uncle Ed lamp. Maybe the base shell was not painted black like the Snead Company Lamp. Notice the split lines in the old ad for an Uncle Ed lamp. I can see no evidence of any black paint on the close up of the shell. The brass base and the helmet (brass???) look similar. Are they both brass. I do not think the helmet is painted brass.
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png (97.03 KiB) Viewed 755 times
I wonder if this lamp separates into sections?? There is no mention of this in the IMA description. Maybe it has rusted over time and they do not even realize the lamp section would separate into sections like shown in the period ad on page 1 of this post.
Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 12.16.02 PM.png
Maybe this lamp is not so modified as I first thought! Did the "Uncle Ed lamp" have brass colored or actual brass helmets???? I do not Know. The ad states at the bottom, and I quote it: "Shade is adjustable at any angle with reflector." This may be a documentation of an intact "Uncle Ed" lamp shade in a brass color and the white reflector helmet mentioned in the original ad. See more original period ads on page 1 of this post. Notice the pictures in the ad show white paint on the inner side of the helmet. Furthermore, I never notice this, but the shell body is not painted black like a Snead Company Lamp. These Uncle Eds had non painted shell bodies, they had a polished metal finish. Also a segmented shell body.
However, if the cord runs up the center of the lamp as shown in the IMA photo, it will not be possible for the sections to be separated. The central cord location would prevent this. If you look at the ad with the pictures on both sides, on the right side middle photo, it shows a cord attached only to the top section the lamp, and the cord must have run down from the top section along the outside of the shell body. This had to be the case in order for each section of the lamp body to be utilized as a ash tray, or pencil/cigarette holder. This is shown in the ad. So it appears there may have been two different versions of the Uncle Ed lamp, one that did not separate and one that did. On each the power cord locations are different.
I have noticed this is true because the above ad states the retail price for 3 different versions:
Trench Lamp, whole shell base $12
Trench Lamp, sectionalized smoking-set base $16
Victory Lamp with parchment shade $18

We see one cord location at the top and one at the bottom on the Uncle Ed lamp in the ad. Uncle Ed lamps were not painted black with the locomotive-like hard shinny paint as found on intact Snead Company lamps. Uncle Ed Lamps had steel polished shells. This example has a metal shell showing some patina, it may be an Uncle Ed lamp that does not separate into sections since the power cord enters from the bottom and travels up the center of the shell to the socket. This may be a $12 version of the Uncle Ed Lamp. The socket is clearly a contemporary replacement.

I have never seen or observed a WW I helmet pressed stamped in brass at gun shows or WWII military relic shows. It looks brass, but I can not tell if it is painted or polished brass. Looks like a brass metal helmet that was buffed and not a real surplus WW I green helmet. I also noticed in the original ads shown here that the helmet is not pictured as dark helmet, like a green WW I helmet would appear. So maybe the Uncle Ed lamps had this brass- bronze colored, non painted, shinny metal helmet. It kind of appears that way in the ad for the Uncle Ed. This IMA example is most likely an intact original Uncle Ed helmet. It is not a WW I Brodie steel helmet. Maybe the company that produced the Uncle Ed lamp had some original WW I helmets brass plated for their lamps??????

So is this example a documentation of an actual, intact, brass helmeted, Uncle Ed, non segmented lamp? Almost worth buying at $325 to find out. Posted: noon 22 sept, and if you buy it please post and photo document this lamp.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am, edited 13 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#98 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm

I decided to repost all of IMA excellent photos because after it is sold they may not be available and I wanted documentation of this example. ALL photos are IMAs from the above linked source. If I had the cash I would buy it just so I can study it.

What I think we have here at IMA is a possible Uncle Ed lamp with just a new replacement socket and cord. All other attributes may remain intact and original. I can not tell from the photos if the shell is indeed segmented and was never painted, or if the helmet is brass with a white enamel reflector and original attachment. IT INDEED MAY BE ORIGINAL :dance: :clap: :clap:
ON7080__04.jpg
ON7080__09.jpg
ON7080__10.jpg
ON7080__13.jpg
ON7080__03-1.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#99 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 pm

It would make a perfect Christmas gift for me. No shipping because its over $150, you could just send it to my house :shock: I have the correct period socket if it is a sectionalized lamp rewired wrong.
It has the lower hole, correct maker- a Bryant lamp switch/socket with the correct red/black shuttle switch, & vintage real brass:
IMG_1371-1.JPG
IMG_1371-1.JPG (58.81 KiB) Viewed 725 times
The red arrow shows the hole where the electrical wire came out the side and ran down the out side of the lamp so sections on the lamp shell could be split up. This is a hard to find socket type. Notice, it can be wired in two ways from the bottom and from the side. I had to buy a $30 junk lamp to get this socket--but try to find an original. :whistle: :whistle:
Many thanks to IMA ( International Military Antiques) for posting so many photos of such a nice example.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#100 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Going , going, gone in 3 days at $325 :o :o And for my question to verify the helmet metal type, this is the results from IMA:
A new answer to your question has been received.
09/22/18
Q: Is the helmet made of brass or a painted brass color . Or is it a real helmet that has been brass plated.
09/25/18
A: It is a Brass helmet. the inside is painted.
Lets hope the buyer posts some close up photos of the bottom and its label.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#101 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 am

Here are some pictures of a Snead Morgan Explosion lamp still maintaining its original cord. Remains of the tag and white rubber ring is visible.
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg

Unfortunately the impossible to find top nose piece and upper original section is missing.
s-l1600-7.jpg

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#102 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Here's mine.
20181029_152457.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters