Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#46 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Here is photo of an original notice a cloth wrapped parallel cord, not the twisted like cord that was found on my double socket lamp and the bakelite plug. Specifications on a single socket lamp are " 6 feet of No. 18 bronze colored parallel silk cord" that is what you see on this found in the trash original condition Snead single socket lamp in this lower photo.
both pictures enlarge if clicked on.
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.00.54 PM.png

This original lamp has a twisted cord in the vintage picture. This style of cloth wrapped cord was on my Snead double socket lamp.
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 3.10.23 PM.png

My lamp with the replacement twisted cord( new useable reproduction cord), but original plug.
IMG_0979_zpsxaijw7vm.jpg
IMG_0979_zpsxaijw7vm.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#47 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:26 pm

A good friend found me a very nice original WWI "dough-boy" helmet. Now I can get the harp 72USMC found on the web that will fit.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#48 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:19 pm

I found one, A Snead Victory oil/kerosene lamp variation.
source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -139974185
Rare Kerosene Variation
Snead & Co. Victory Lamp
With Original Flier and Order Form
75MM Projectile From Morgan Explosion
"Victory" Nov 11, 1918 Trench Art Shell Lamp
Lamp is impressed "Victory Nov 11, 1918 75mm Shell" .
Around the copper ring, it is impressed
"They Shall Beat Their Swords Into Plowshares And Their Spears Into Prunning Hooks. Nation Shall Not Lift Up Swords Against Nations Neither They Shall Not Learn War Anymore"
Manufacturer's label on the bottom reads in part;
"75 MM VICTORY LAMP MANUFACTURED BY THE SNEAD & COMPANY" THIS LAMP WAS MADE FROM A GENUINE US GOVERNMENT FRENCH-AMERICAN 75 MM SHELL SAVED FROM THE MORGAN EXPLOSION"
The Snead Company made these trench art lamps to raise money for the people injured in the Morgan Ammunition Plant explosion. Most collectors, myself included; are unaware that these lamps were produced as electric, gas and kerosene. The cavity that once held the explosive charge is now the reservoir for the kerosene. I purchased this example approx. 25 years ago with the original paperwork as seen. This paperwork is also the only example I have ever seen.
I believe the shade ring and shade are replacements, but they are proportionally

correct and are quite pleasing to the eye. The paperwork confirms this as a company manufactured variation of the standard electric variety most often seen. In the past 25 years, I have not encountered or heard of another example of this lamp set for liquid fuel. I have owned around 8 of these Victory lamps in that period of time, all electric.
Prior to buying this example, I also had no idea what the original electric version shade looked like.
Lamp is in excellent condition, with a scattering of chips in the black projectile finish and a few bent hurricane fins as seen. Burner is complete and wicks appear original. I have never attepted to remove the burner because lamp has not been fired since I have owned it. Brass and copper have not been polished either.
On October 4, 1918, building # 61 in the T. A. Gillespie Shell Loading Plant in Morgan. The plant exploded causing the evacuation of South Amboy, NJ. To this day the true cause of the explosion remains unclear. Initial reports blamed the explosion on an accidental spark, company negligence and German sabotage. Sixty-four residents and employees died from the explosion.
This lamp has been one of the anchors of my collection for the 15 or so years I have owned it. It has always sat on my dresser. It's time to pass it on.
Lamp is quite heavy at 12.5 lbs. Shipping cost reflects shipment in 2 parcels; one for the base and one for the glass and paperwork. I feel that attempting to ship t
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.13.05 PM.png
note in the lower photo one sees two wick turn knobs on this lamp. This photo indeed shows evidence of a correct Apollo Duplex Burner.
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.14.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.14.20 PM.png (152.88 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.13.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.13.53 PM.png (146.76 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

The Snead oil lamp had a
..statuary bronze finished brass expander cemented to top of shell with Apollo Duplex Burner[with 2 flat wicks] screwing into same.
4" round Duplex ring and spring wire shade holder.
Glass chimney for Apollo Duplex Burner.
Interior powder cavity of shell serves as oil reservoir to give 7 hours of mild light.
According to the specifications sheet these had an Apollo Duplex burner( 2 wicks). These had a clear glass Apollo chimney.
see these pic of an APOLLO burner
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.52.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.52.34 AM.png (264.37 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

#49 Post by ffuries » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Cool, it's interesting what I learn on this forum. I get smarter every day thanks to some very smart people..........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#50 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:57 am

The Lamp Shade

It appears that there were ultimately two types of lamp shades offered. The first lamp shade type featured a metal doughboy helmet. Quite likely this was the shade provided with the first lamps made available. The second one had an open top and was composed of Strathmore Vellum Parchment. The art work on the open top lamp shade was designed by Franklin Booth, a noted period artist best known for his stylized ink line drawings which captured the “feel” of wood engravings (see the to-be-reposted Victory Lamp Lamp Shade page). It was open on the top to allow for the venting of the burned oil or burned gas and, as the brochure states, “to allow light to be reflected from ceiling”. The helmet version was more suitable to the electric version it would seem.

Franklin designed the lamp shade to have a different mood depending on whether the lamp was lit or unlit. Without light, the shade portrayed a war scene. With light, the lamp transformed to a scene of peace. This was done by having artwork both on the outside of the lamp shade as well as the inside. Franklin utilized design and color to create this transformation. The antique tan and brown shaded drawings on the outside of the lamp and the rose colored tinted drawing on the inside of the lamp, while different, were designed to overlap when lit.

Each shade was hand sewed and hand colored.
source http://www.morgan-nj.org/blog/sample-pa ... tory-lamp/

Snead Lamps are patented as follows: April 22, 1919 May 13, 1919 June 3, 1919. Other patents pending”.
The lamp in its entirety was patented by Angus S. MacDonald, Assignor to Snead and Company, in order “to prevent unscrupulous imitation” and so “… none but GENUINE “75’s” saved from the Morgan explosion will be used or CAN be used.” There were actually two patents for the lamp, one had the open top lampshade, and the other had a doughboy helmet as a lampshade. Filed for on March 6 and 14, 1919, respectively, patent numbers 53,224 and 53,225 were issued on April 22, 1919.

Specifications sheet see source http://www.morgan-nj.org/blog/sample-pa ... fications/
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.37.52 AM.png

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#51 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:23 pm

gr-fitters.jpg
gr-fitters.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
source https://www.pinterest.com/pin/414542340673389025/

No one has actually seen a parchment Snead shade or even a damaged wire frame from such a shade. It is unknown if the shade's frame had a center hole with supporting spokes radiating outward to the upper shade support loop ( a spider fitter), the parchment shade was made with a central mount hole. Such a shade would fit over the harp loop threaded spinal on the top of the short harp and be held in place with a lamp final on the electric version of lamp, or the Snead shade may have had a two wire loop clamp like holder that fit onto the bulb (Clip-on fitter). The Clip-on fitter shade may have slipped over the bulb on an electric version or a glass chimney on the oil version.
Adaptors such as these could have been attached to the shade.
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 3.01.58 AM.png

The Snead parchment shade sits rather high on the lamp almost like a Clip-on fitter was utilized????? As per specifications if the lamp with the shade sit approximately 19 inches ( measuring 19 " on my lamp it is approximately 13 " to the fuse threads or brass cap) that only allows of 6 to 7 inches for the shade height. My original 1920 harp shown in this post measures from bottom to the base of the threads as exactly 6 ". Therefore, a shade set on the harp if the shade is 6" in height would sit at or slightly lower that the bulb base. A clip-on fitter would lower a 6' shade to about what is show in the above picture. This is all speculation, since I do not own a single socket Snead lamp or original painted parchment shade to actually measure from. :shifty: :think: :think: :doh:
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 6.31.45 PM.png

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#52 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Next The Snead Gas Lamp
The Art of Illumination by Louis Bell PH.D , 1902, McGraw Publishing Company, NY ----source for the Welsbach Burner
http://www.iar.unicamp.br/lab/luz/ld/Hi ... nation.pdf

A Snead Gas Lamp notice a tall harp on the outside of the glass chimney must have held the shade if it did not utilize a glass shade like seen in the many examples. This harp appears to slide over the burner assy. It may have been inside the glass chimney, but I do not think to ????? :think: :think: :think: :think: I would sure like to see a complete Snead gas & oil version intact. As dirty as gas and kerosene lamps get with soot, and how dirty the walls got from soot in the 1900 houses, it is no wonder the parchment shades did not last long from the heat and dirty flames. If the fire/wick is not adjusted to a correct height to avoid too much smoke in such a lamp they really can smoke and put out soot.
s-l500-1.jpg
s-l500-1.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

The Snead gas lamp specifications listed on the above referenced page is equipped as follows:
...6 free feet of fabric covered rubber gas tubing and brass gooseneck to fit on standard gas outlet.
No. 71 Welsbach Burner and No. 196 Cap Mantle.
No. 013 Air-O-Matic Chimney and No. 109 Micalite shade protector.
Here is the Welsbach Burner used on a Snead Lamp. see lower pictures.
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.18.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.29.01 PM.png
This bottom picture of the entire Welsbach assembly shows the No. 196 Cap mantle sacks assembly and the No. 013 glass Air-O-Matic chimney.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#53 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Here is a 1915-1920s generalized example of the gas lamp technology and how they came. By the 1920s rural electrification was on the start. By the 1930s most cities had electricity. Small towns and rural areas did not.

Random examples of Gas lamps, Gas from a gas line or just white gas from a can, used in towns, most rural areas used candles, oil/ kerosene lamps, or white gas pump due to the lack of gas lines.
More references than you will want to view source : :arrow: http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/index.htm
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 8.12.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 8.09.49 PM.png
History of lighting:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/articles/v ... _lighting/
http://www.buildingconservation.com/art ... ghting.htm
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#54 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:41 pm

I just noticed this, but this appears to be a double loop, clip-on holder on this Snead lamp??? Is that a clip on I see on this "Uncle Ed " Snead lamp under the helmet. See the ad on page 1 of this post. Look closely under the helmet. I see one socket.
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 6.50.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 6.50.26 PM.png (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#55 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am

If anyone reading this owns an intact Snead lamp especially a gas or oil burning version; please sign up to this forum and post, it is free, and (photo document) your lamp. I am especially interested in views of an original parchment shade and how it was attached, as well as how the helmet may have actually been attached on non modified lamps. We also need detailed views of an oil or gas lamp parts. Thank You.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#56 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 am

WHAT NOT TO DO TO A SNEAD LAMP
A sad example of a former gas lamp, so modified it's garbage. Especially at the $100 price. At 40 bucks i'd save the shell if I saw this at a flee market, but shipping is $25. :roll: Rewired so poorly, its just nuts. Stupid is as stupid does. Such work is just beyond dumb. Talk about a fire hazard :doh: Notice this was done a long time ago -you see old cloth wire of two types and the old cloth electrical tape by the switch splice and new plastic electrical tape at the plastic cord splice. So we have a 1930s vintage save on an original oil lamp and a second later 1960s rewire on the main cord that left the push button switch in place. So maybe all the gas and oil lamps were thrown out or converted to electrical--hence they are so hard to find.

I wonder if that cord hole was for the gas tube. Maybe this was /is a new hole drilled for a cord? I do not think so. It may have been originally for a gas line up to the burner. The Nut and large washer seems to be original with some patina? This is the first view of a bottom of a gas lamp. Rubber desk protector ring is intact---too bad the base is modified

Notice, the bottom hole in the shell base utilized for a cord ??? (not sure, but this the hole may have originally carried the gas line up to the Welsbach burner) notice the base is drilled for a cord and a switch placed into the brass base. Two holes in the base instead of one. The Gas Line hole is plugged for the electric switch? I am not sure which of the two holes in the base was the original hole for the gas line. To make matters worse a bulb socket is fitted into the oil head. Electrified! The brass shell cap is also missing on this specimen. It must have been removed during the first modification to electric. Lots of luck trying to find that part. O the horror :naughty: :naughty:

s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri May 04, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#57 Post by Rapidrob » Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 pm

The WWI helmet showed up. With the placement of the light bulb, the lamp shade holing bail/harp is too long and looks all wrong. I will cut down and forge the bail ends for a new lamp shade bail that will look better.
With the weight of the helmet, I'd be leery using the clamp onto the light bulb type lamp shade holder.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#58 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Rapidrob, interesting, is the harp 6 '' high from the screw on base to the top flat where the helmet would sit? My US WW I helmet sits 5 '' tall from the rim to the top of the helmet; the harp is 6'' so it would sit 1 inch above the base of the screw on harp. I would attach mine, but it is not drilled.

How tall is your harp? 4 or 6 inches? The bottom edge of the helmet should be approximately 1 inch above the socket top depending how much the harp is screwed down onto the socket ; generally there is only 3 0r 5 threads. 6 inch is for shade or higher sitting helmet, 4 inch is for a helmet if you want it to sit lower like seen in the original ad show above. A 4 inch harp will bring it down to the lamp seen in the original ad. remember those original screw harps are hard to find.
If you modify an original>...Now if it's a fixed 1920 screw harp its got to be spot welded to be altered or soldered if brass. If it's a later 6 inch harp as shown above that is adjustable, the loop ends can be cut, bent, and the bottom ends hammered so they fit into the tabs. Those later ones are for different harp sizes. Just squeeze the harp together and it pops out of the lower adjustable mount. Not sure which one you have? You can always get a new harp loop and fit the size need to the bottom section of there screw harp. Got any pics of the situation??
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (60.55 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.51 AM.png (97.03 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (62.18 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
with a 6 inch harp something like this:
wwi-ww1-morgan-explosion-75mm-shell_1_d2e8a64fe058a505a5732de34807d117.jpg
wwi-ww1-morgan-explosion-75mm-shell_1_d2e8a64fe058a505a5732de34807d117.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

This new replacement example shown in the bottom link does not have the old fashion screw on base, but if you have the later adjustable post 1940 screw on adjustable harp you can get a loop the size you need to fit the 1940s part. Just the metal loop comes in sizes from 4-7 inches generally in 1/2inch increments. Remember they no longer make reproduction screw on the socket harps.
see this for ideas:
https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/minia ... gJeK_D_BwE
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed May 02, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#59 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

My lamp is a double socket, and I did not drill my original helmet. see pics of how the helmet sits in this review; pictures shown in an earlier post. I can also sort of tilt and angle my helmet since it sits loose on top of the washer. I also wanted it high and utilized the black wood spacer that was on the original lamp so the nut sits at the top of the threaded top mount screw. I wanted to show off the Edison small bulbs and there Edison tip as well as the low warm glow of both bulbs. I did not use the taller Edison reproduction bulbs in this application. I wanted two Edison small rounded bulbs. Perfect for the look. My bulbs also pivot at an angle and do not extend directly down ward on this Bryant head.
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG (50.55 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG (42.88 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (403.94 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Fri May 04, 2018 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#60 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Rapidrob did your lamp end up looking like this ?? Notice a wrong harp mounted at the bottom of the socket is on this lamp ?
Also a small rounded bulb instead of a tall Edison type. The helmet is sitting about right for a tall, pear shaped, original Edison bulb.
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 11.25.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 11.25.31 AM.png (348.04 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Here is one with correct harp, but no helmet, and its top is cut off from view. I know of no intact, single socket lamp that shows the helmet attachment other than the period WW I magazine & jobber catalog drawings.

A few more examples: I think to get it real low as shown in the period WW I ad you need a 4 inch, screw on, harp and just about any size of the originals are a hard find. I assume you want the helmet about an inch above the bulb? Remember those old Edison bulbs were larger (Taller) than our current bulbs.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 6.59.22 PM.png
post-729-1233713557.jpg
The Edison, Westinghouse, or GEM tall, pear shaped bulbs in reproduction form would look nice in a single socket lamp.The harp size sort of dictates the bulb shape/size. see this link for some views of original bulbs. If you need more pictures I have different kinds of original bulbs (not repros.) on my short Akro Agate and Houzex slag glass lamps.
An original tall, pear shaped, Edison bulb source http://bulbs.2yr.net/edison-gem-bulb.php
edison-gem-bulb.jpg
edison-gem-bulb.jpg (25.69 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Off Topic”