Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Spurs and the Great West

indy1919a4
United States of America

Re: Spurs and the Great West

#631 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Ok nrobertb... You have made the sale...

we have a great West trip this Fall.. When things cool down a little.. I was pushing for a Wyatt Earp Vengeance ride tour or another trip to Little Big Horn.. But you went and ruined all that.. So this is what I was looking at

Flying into Albuquerque Nm , And from there going to the following places

Canyon de Chelly about 5 hours North east
Acoma Pueblo Sky city about 1 hour East
Bents's old Fort 6 hours North East,
Lincoln New Mexico about 3 hours south (ha came up with that one on my own
The Pat Garrett Assassination Site about 4 hours south or so
The Shady Dell Camp Ground in Bisbee Az about 7 hours South West,,
And may have to Stop into Rosa's Cantina in the West Texas Town of El Paso. about 4 hours S,.

Hey and do not have a set drive path but so with your great knowledge any thing you might suggest on these treks.. that are near no not to be missed??

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#632 Post by nrobertb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm

Hey, small world. I'll be at Bent's Old Fort on Sept. 19 after two days at the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

If you are based in Albuquerque you are right in the center of attractions. El Morro, Gran Quivera and Pecos National Monuments come to mind. Santa Fe positively reeks with history.

Sounds like a great trip.

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#633 Post by nrobertb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:36 am

The Face on the Barroom Floor is a painting on the floor of the Teller House Bar in Central City, Colorado, United States. It was painted in 1936 by Herndon Davis. Davis had been commissioned by the Central City Opera Association to paint a series of paintings for the Central City Opera House; he was also requested to do some work at the Teller House. One afternoon at the bar he became embroiled in a heated argument with Ann Evans, the project director, about the manner in which his work should be executed. The upshot of the fight was that Davis was told to quit, or else he would be fired.

According to one version of the story, the painting was the suggestion of a busboy named Joe Libby; knowing that Davis would soon be fired, he suggested that the artist "give them something to remember [him] by".

In Davis' own words, The Central City Opera House Association hired me to do a series of paintings and sketches of the famous mining town, which they were then rejuvenating as an opera center and tourist attraction. I stayed at the Teller House while working up there, and the whim struck me to paint a face on the floor of the old Teller House barroom. In its mining boom heyday it was just such a floor as the ragged artist used in d’Arcy's famous old poem. But the hotel manager and the bartender would have none of such tomfoolery. They refused me permission to paint the face. Still the idea haunted me, and in my last night in Central City, I persuaded the bellboy Jimmy Libby to give me a hand. After midnight, when the coast was clear, we slipped down there. Jimmy held a candle for me and I painted as fast as I could. Yet it was 3 AM when I finished.

Whatever the inspiration, Davis did not sign his work, and soon the bar's owners chose to capitalize on it. They advertised the painting as that from the poem "The Face on the Barroom Floor" by Hugh Antoine D'Arcy. The actual subject of the painting is Davis' wife Edna Juanita (Cotter) Davis "Nita".
Attachments
face2.JPG
face.jpeg
face.jpeg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 489 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#634 Post by nrobertb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 pm

The High Chaparral ran on TV from 1967-71. The Cannon family runs the High Chaparral Ranch in the Arizona Territory in 1870s. Big John wants to establish his cattle empire despite Indian hostility. He's aided by brother Buck and son Billy Blue. When Blue's mother was killed (in the first episode) John united his family with the powerful Montoyas by marrying their daughter Victoria (whose brother Manolito now lives with them as well).

The show starred Leif Erickson, Cameron Mitchell. Henry Darrow, Linda Cristal and Mark Slade. Erickson was already an established movie actor, and the others had long movie and TV careers.
Attachments
high2.jpg
high2.jpg (50.38 KiB) Viewed 482 times
high.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#635 Post by nrobertb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:47 pm

In 1960 I was on a tour of the Homestake gold mine in South Dakota. They emphasized that we would not go underground or see any gold bars, but it was very interesting for a college geology student.

The Homestake deposit was discovered in April 1876, during the Black Hills Gold Rush. All the mining equipment was brought by wagons from the nearest railhead in Sidney, Nebraska. Despite the remote location, an 80-stamp mill began crushing Homestake ore in July 1878.

The partners sold shares in the Homestake Mining Company, and listed it on the New York Stock Exchange in 1879. The Homestake would become one of the longest-listed stocks in the history of the NYSE.

Owner Hearst consolidated and enlarged the Homestake property by fair and foul means. He bought out some adjacent claims, and secured others in the courts. A Hearst employee killed a man who refused to sell his claim, but was acquitted in court after all the witnesses disappeared. Hearst purchased newspapers in Deadwood to influence public opinion, and an opposing newspaper editor was attacked on a Deadwood street. Hearst himself realized that he might be on the receiving end of violence, and wrote a letter to his partners asking them to provide for his family should he be murdered. In the end, however, Hearst was the one who walked out alive, and very rich.

By the time Hearst left the Black Hills in March 1879, he had added the claims of Giant, Golden Star, Netty, May Booth, Golden Star No. 2, Crown Point, Sunrise, and General Ellison to the original two claims. The ten-stamp mill had become 200, and 500 employees worked in the mine, mills, offices and shops. He owned the Boulder Ditch and water rights to Whitewood Creek, monopolizing the region. His railroad, Black Hills & Fort Pierre Railroad, gave him access to eastern Dakota territory. By 1900, the Homestake owned 300 claims, on 2,000 acres , and was worked by more than 2000 employees.

In 1901, the mine started using compressed air locomotives, replacing the mules and horses by the 1920s. Charles Washington Merrill introduced cyanidization to augment mercury-amalgamation for gold recovery. "Cyanide Charlie" finally achieved 94 per cent recovery. The gold was shipped to the Denver Mint.

By 1906, the Ellison Shaft reached 1,550 feet, the B&M 1,250 feet, the Golden Star 1,100 feet, and the Golden Prospect 900 feet, producing 1,400,000 metric tons of ore. A disastrous fire struck on 25 March 1907, which took forty days to extinguish after the mine was flooded. Another disastrous fire struck in 1919.

In 1927, company geologist Donald H. McLaughlin used a winze from the 2,000 level to demonstrate ore reached the 3,500 foot level. The Ross shaft was started in 1934, a second winze from the 3,500-foot level reached 4,100 feet, and a third winze from 4,100 feet was started in 1937. The Yates shaft was started in 1938. Production ceased from 1943 until 1945, due to Limitation Order L-208 from the War Production Board. By 1975, mining operations has reached the 6,800-foot level, and two winzes were planned to 8,000 feet.

The gold ore mined at Homestake was considered low grade (less than one ounce per ton), but the body of ore was very large. Through 2001, the mine produced 39,800,000 troy ounces of gold and 9,000,000 troy ounces of silver. In terms of total production, the Lead mining district, of which the Homestake mine is the only producer, was the second-largest gold producer in the United States, after the Carlin district in Nevada.

The Homestake mine ceased production at the end of 2001. Reasons included low gold prices, poor ore quality, and high costs.
Attachments
Homestake_Mine 1900.jpg
Homestake_Mine 1900.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Homestake mine 1889.jpg
Homestake mine 1889.jpg (11.45 KiB) Viewed 472 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#636 Post by nrobertb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:29 pm

The Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument is a complex of three Spanish missions located in the U.S. state of New Mexico, near Mountainair. The main park visitor center is in Mountainair. Construction of the missions began in 1622 and was completed in 1635.

Once, thriving Native American trade communities of Tiwa and Tompiro language-speaking Puebloans inhabited this remote frontier area of central New Mexico. Early in the 17th century Spanish Franciscans found the area ripe for their missionary efforts. However, by the late 1670s the entire Salinas District, as the Spanish had named it, was depopulated of both Indian and Spaniard. What remains today are austere yet beautiful reminders of this earliest contact between Pueblo Indians and Spanish Colonials: the ruins of three mission churches, at Quarai, Abó, and Gran Quivira and the partially excavated pueblo of Las Humanas or, as it is known today, the Gran Quivira pueblo.

It was first proclaimed Gran Quivira National Monument on November 1, 1909. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the National Monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. On December 19, 1980 it was enlarged and two New Mexico State Monuments were absorbed into it on November 2, 1981. It was renamed on October 28, 1988.

How and when it first received its deceptive title of "Gran Quivira" we may never know; there are dozens of traditions and theories and imaginings. From the days of Coronado the name of "Quivira" had been associated with the idea of a great unknown city, of wealth and splendor, situated somewhere on the Eastern Plains; and it is not at all unlikely that when some party from the Rio Grande Valley, in search of game or gold, crossed the mountains and the wilderness lying to the east, and was suddenly amazed by the apparition of a dead city, silent and tenantless, but bearing the evidences of large population, of vast resources, of architectural knowledge, mechanical skill, and wonderful energy, they should have associated with it the stories heard from childhood of the mythical center of riches and power, and called the new-found wonder the Gran Quivira.
Attachments
Quarai.JPG
Abo.JPG

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#637 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:55 am

Death Valley Days ran on TV from 1952-70. Western stories and legends based, and filmed, in and around Death Valley, California. One of the longest-running Western series, originating on radio in the 1930s. The continuing sponsor was "20 Mule Team" Borax, a product formerly mined in Death Valley.

It had various hosts over the years, starting with Stanley Andrews, followed by Robert Taylor, Ronald Reagan just before going into politics) and Dale Robertson.
Attachments
Death2.jpg
Death2.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 451 times
death.jpg
death.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 451 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#638 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:44 pm

This silver decorated bridle by A.J. Schell recently sold at auction for several thousand dollars.
Attachments
AJSchell.jpg
AJSchell.jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 445 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#639 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Tales of Wells Fargo ran on TV from 1957-62. Agent Jim Hardie shifts over its history from being mostly an Agent helping Wells Fargo cope with bad guys, to being the owner of a ranch near San Francisco, California, who still does some Agent work.

Starring were Dale Robertson (later on Dallas, Dynasty and J.J. Starbuck), Kit Carson (previous long movie career) and William Demarest (perhaps best remembered as Uncle Charlie on My Three Sons.)
Attachments
Wells.jpg
Wells.jpg (28.61 KiB) Viewed 439 times
wells2.jpg
wells2.jpg (35.02 KiB) Viewed 439 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#640 Post by nrobertb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 am

Pojoaque
In the early 17th century the first Spanish mission San Francisco de Pojoaque was founded. During the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, Pojoaque was abandoned, and was not resettled until about 1706. By 1712 the population had reached 79. During the revolt of 1837, New Mexico native Manuel Armijo defeated of the rebels at Puertocito Pojoaque, east of Santa Cruz de la Cañada. In the early 1900s the Pojoaque Valley School District was established to serve the educational needs of the valley.

Pojoaque Pueblo is one of the six Tewa-speaking Rio Grande Pueblos, and a member of the Eight Northern Pueblos. The Pueblo was settled around 500 AD, with the population peaking in the 15th and 16th centuries.

In about 1900, a severe smallpox epidemic caused the pueblo to be abandoned once again by 1912. In 1934, Pojoaque Pueblo was reoccupied, and became a federally recognized Indian Reservation in 1936.
Attachments
pojo.jpeg
pojo.jpeg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 419 times
.jpeg
.jpeg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 419 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#641 Post by nrobertb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 pm

El Morro National Monument is located on an ancient east-west trail in western New Mexico. The main feature of this National Monument is a great sandstone promontory with a pool of water at its base.

As a shaded oasis in the western U.S. desert, this site has seen many centuries of travelers. The remains of a mesa top pueblo are atop the promontory where between about 1275 to 1350 AD, up to 1500 people lived in this 875 room pueblo. The Spaniard explorers called it El Morro (The Headland). The Zuni Indians call it "A'ts'ina" (Place of writings on the rock). Anglo-Americans called it Inscription Rock. Travelers left signatures, names, dates, and stories of their treks. While some of the inscriptions are fading, there are still many that can be seen today, some dating to the 17th century. Some petroglyphs and carvings were made by the Ancestral Puebloan centuries before Europeans started making their mark. In 1906, U.S. federal law prohibited further carving.

The many inscriptions, water pool, pueblo ruins, and top of the promontory are all accessible via park trails.

El Morro National Monument has been featured in the film Four Faces West (1948) starring Joel McCrea.
Attachments
elmorro2.jpg
elmorro2.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 399 times
elmorro.jpg
elmorro.jpg (52.1 KiB) Viewed 399 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#642 Post by nrobertb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:13 am

The Hollywood Sign is an American landmark and cultural icon located in Los Angeles, California. It is situated on Mount Lee, in the Hollywood Hills area of the Santa Monica Mountains. The sign overlooks Hollywood, Los Angeles.

"HOLLYWOOD" is spelled out in 44-foot white capital letters and is 352 feet long. The sign was originally created in 1923 as an advertisement for a local real estate development, but due to increasing recognition, the sign was left up. The sign has been a frequent target of pranks and vandalism across the decades, but it has since undergone restoration, including the installation of a security system to deter vandalism. The sign is protected and promoted by The Hollywood Sign Trust, a nonprofit organization, while its site and the surrounding land are part of Griffith Park.

The sign makes frequent appearances in popular culture, particularly in establishing shots for films and television programs set in or around Hollywood. Signs of similar style, but spelling different words, are frequently seen as parodies.

The sign was erected in 1923 and originally read "HOLLYWOODLAND." Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new segregated housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles.

The sign was officially dedicated in 1923. It was intended only to last a year and a half, but after the rise of American cinema in Los Angeles during the Golden Age of Hollywood, the sign became an internationally recognized symbol and was left there.

In the 1970s, the sign reached its most dilapidated state. Over the course of more than half a century, the sign, designed to stand for only 18 months, sustained extensive damage and deterioration.

During the early 1940s, Albert Kothe (the sign's official caretaker) caused an accident that destroyed the letter H. Kothe, driving while inebriated, was nearing the top of Mount Lee when he lost control of his vehicle and drove off the cliff directly behind the H. While Kothe was not injured, his 1928 Ford Model A was destroyed, as was the original 50 foot tall illuminated letter H.

In 1949, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce began a contract with the City of Los Angeles Parks Department to repair and rebuild the sign. The contract stipulated that "LAND" be removed to spell "Hollywood" and reflect the district, not the "Hollywoodland" housing development. The Parks Department dictated that all subsequent illumination would be at the Chamber's expense, so the Chamber opted not to replace the lightbulbs. The 1949 effort gave it new life, but the sign's unprotected wood and sheet metal structure continued to deteriorate. By the 1970s, the first O had splintered and broken, resembling a lowercase u, and the third O had fallen down completely, leaving the severely dilapidated sign reading "HuLLYWO.D."

In 1978, in large part because of the public campaign to restore the landmark by Hugh Hefner, founder of Playboy magazine, the Chamber set out to replace the severely deteriorated sign with a more permanent structure. Nine donors gave 27,777.77 each to sponsor replacement letters, made of steel supported by steel columns on a concrete foundation.
Attachments
holly2.jpg
Holly.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#643 Post by nrobertb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Fort Point is a masonry seacoast fortification located at the southern side of the Golden Gate at the entrance to San Francisco Bay. This fort was completed just before the American Civil War by the United States Army, to defend San Francisco Bay against hostile warships. The fort is now protected as Fort Point National Historic Site, a United States National Historic Site administered by the National Park Service as a unit of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

In 1769 Spain occupied the San Francisco area and by 1776 had established the area's first European settlement, with a mission and a presidio. To protect against encroachment by the British and Russians, Spain fortified the high white cliff at the narrowest part of the bay's entrance, where Fort Point now stands. The Castillo de San Joaquin, built in 1794, was an adobe structure housing nine to thirteen cannons.

Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821, gaining control of the region and the fort, but in 1835 the Mexican army moved to Sonoma leaving the castillo's adobe walls to crumble in the wind and rain. On July 1, 1846, after the Mexican–American War broke out between Mexico and the United States, U.S. forces, including Captain John Charles Fremont, Kit Carson and a band of 10 followers, captured and occupied the empty castillo and spiked (disabled) the cannons.

Following the United States' victory in 1848, California was annexed by the U.S. and became a state in 1850. The gold rush of 1849 had caused rapid settlement of the area, which was recognized as commercially and strategically valuable to the United States. Military officials soon recommended a series of fortifications to secure San Francisco Bay. Coastal defenses were built at Alcatraz Island, Fort Mason, and Fort Point.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began work on Fort Point in 1853. Plans specified that the lowest tier of artillery be as close as possible to water level so cannonballs could ricochet across the water's surface to hit enemy ships at the water-line. Workers blasted the 90-foot cliff down to 15 feet above sea level. The structure featured seven-foot-thick walls and multi-tiered casemated construction typical of Third System forts. It was sited to defend the maximum amount of harbor area. While there were more than 30 such forts on the East Coast, Fort Point was the only one on the West Coast. In 1854 Inspector General Joseph K. Mansfield declared "this point as the key to the whole Pacific Coast...and it should receive untiring exertions".

A crew of 200, many unemployed miners, labored for eight years on the fort. In 1861, with war looming, the army mounted the fort's first cannon. Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston, commander of the Department of the Pacific, prepared Bay Area defenses and ordered in the first troops to the fort. Kentucky-born Johnston then resigned his commission to join the Confederate Army; he was killed at the Battle of Shiloh in 1862.

Throughout the Civil War, artillerymen at Fort Point stood guard for an enemy that never came. The Confederate raider CSS Shenandoah planned to attack San Francisco, but on the way to the harbor the captain learned that the war was over; it was August 1865, months after General Lee surrendered.

Severe damage to similar forts on the Atlantic Coast during the war – Fort Sumter in South Carolina and Fort Pulaski in Georgia – challenged the effectiveness of masonry walls against rifled artillery. Troops soon moved out of Fort Point, and it was never again continuously occupied by the army. The fort was nonetheless important enough to receive protection from the elements. In 1869 a granite seawall was completed. The following year, some of the fort's cannon were moved to Battery East on the bluffs nearby, where they were more protected. In 1882 Fort Point was officially named Fort Winfield Scott after the famous hero from the war against Mexico. The name never caught on and was later applied to an artillery post at the Presidio.

In 1892, the army began constructing the new Endicott System concrete fortifications armed with steel, breech-loading rifled guns. Within eight years, all 103 of the smooth-bore cannons at Fort Point had been dismounted and sold for scrap. The fort, moderately damaged in the 1906 earthquake, was used over the next four decades for barracks, training, and storage, however, in 1913, part of the interior wall was removed by the army in their short-lived attempt to make the fort the army detention barracks using soldier and prisoner labor. The detention barracks were later built on Alcatraz Island and was used until becoming a federal prison. Soldiers from the 6th U.S. Coast Artillery were stationed there during World War II to guard minefields and the anti-submarine net that spanned the Golden Gate.
Attachments
FtPoint.jpg
Ft.Popint2.jpeg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#644 Post by nrobertb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 pm

Wagon Train ran on TV from 1957-65. Stories of the journeys of a wagon train as it leaves post-Civil War Missouri on its way to California through the plains, deserts, and Rocky Mountains. The first treks were led by gruff, but good-at-heart Major Seth Adams, backed up by his competent frontier scout, Flint McCullough. After Adams and McCullough, the wagon train was led by the avuncular Christopher Hale, along with new scouts Duke Shannon and Cooper Smith. Many stories featured the trustworthy Assistant Wagonmaster Bill Hawks, grizzled old cook Charlie Wooster, and a young orphan, Barnaby West.

John McIntyre and Ward Bond played the two wagonmasters, with Frank McGrath, Robert Horton and Terry Wilson in supporting roles. The first two had extensive movie credits. Bond was a buddy of John Wayne and appeared in many of his movies.
Attachments
wagon-train2.jpg
wagontrain.jpg
wagontrain.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 357 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#645 Post by nrobertb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:53 am

Another painting by Charles Russell titled "In Without Knocking".
Attachments
russell2.jpg

Return to “General Off Topic”