Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Spurs and the Great West

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Spurs and the Great West

#526 Post by nrobertb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Two more Catlin paintings: White Cloud, Iowa Chief and Ojibway boy chief.
Attachments
White Cloud, Iowa chief.jpg
White Cloud, Iowa chief.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Ojibway boy chief.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#527 Post by nrobertb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 am

Humans first visited the area now known as Canyonlands National Park in Utah over 10,000 years ago. Nomadic groups of hunter-gatherers roamed throughout the southwest from 8,000 BCE (Before Common Era) to 500 BCE. Living off the land, these people depended on the availability of wild plants and animals for their survival. They do not appear to have stayed in any one area for very long. They left little in the way of artifacts and didn't build homes or other lasting structures. However, the hunter-gatherers during this time created a great deal of intriguing rock art. Some of the best examples of their art, known as “Barrier Canyon Style,” remain on the cliff walls of Horseshoe Canyon.

Roughly two thousand years ago, the hunter-gatherers began to rely more on domesticated animals and plants for food. These early farmers are called the ancestral Puebloan and Fremont people. They grew maize, beans, and squash, and kept dogs and turkeys. In order to tend their crops, they lived year-round in villages like those preserved at Mesa Verde National Park. Though the two groups overlapped, the Fremont lived mostly in central Utah, while the ancestral Puebloans occupied the Four Corners region. These cultures can be distinguished by their different tools, pottery and rock art.

Over time, growing populations at Mesa Verde caused a search for suitable land all over southeast Utah’s canyon country. By 1200 CE (Common Era), large groups had moved into what is now The Needles, especially in Salt Creek. However, granaries and dwellings used by the ancestral Puebloans are scattered throughout the park.

For many years, changing weather patterns made growing crops more and more difficult. Around 1300 CE, the ancestral Puebloans left the area and migrated south. Their descendants include the people living in modern pueblos in New Mexico and Arizona, like Acoma, Zuni, and the Hopi Mesas.

Before the ancestral Puebloans left, other groups appeared in the area. The Ute and Paiute cultures may have arrived as early as 800 CE. The Navajo arrived from the north sometime after 1300 CE. All three groups still live here today.
Attachments
canyonTowerRuin.jpg
canyonTowerRuin.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 142 times
canyon.jpg
canyon.jpg (13.41 KiB) Viewed 142 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#528 Post by nrobertb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:21 pm

When did the last stagecoach holdup take place?

The last one occurred just outside Jarbidge, Nevada, on December 5, 1916. The outlaws killed the stage driver, Fred Searcy, and stole about $4,000 in gold coins.

While a posse searched for evidence, a dog dug up one of the stage mail pouches. The dog was known to hang out with Ben Kuhl. The police rounded up Kuhl and two friends, Ed Beck and Bill McGraw. The latter was released, but Beck and Kuhl were convicted of committing the robbery.

One of the key pieces of evidence was a bloody palm print on an envelope, which matched Kuhl’s—the first time such evidence was used to convict a killer. He was sentenced to death, but that was later commuted to life in prison.

Some believed the stage driver was in on the robbery and that Kuhl murdered him in a fight over the loot.

The stolen gold has never been found; supposedly, it is buried in Jarbidge Canyon.
Attachments
hold up.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#529 Post by nrobertb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Two Faces West ran on TV in 1960-61. Marshal Ben January and his twin brother, Dr. Rick January (both played by Charles Bateman) fight to establish law and order in the wild frontier town of Gunnison in the 1860s.

Charles Bateman was born on November 19, 1930 in San Diego, California and is known for The Green Hornet (1966), Santa Barbara (1984) and Cannon (1971).
Attachments
two_faces.jpg
two_faces.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 131 times
two.jpg
two.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 131 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#530 Post by nrobertb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Frederic Sackrider Remington (October 4, 1861 – December 26, 1909) was an American painter, illustrator, sculptor, and writer who specialized in depictions of the American Old West, specifically concentrating on scenes from the last quarter of the 19th century in the Western United States and featuring images of cowboys, American Indians, and the U.S. Cavalry, among other figures from Western culture.
Attachments
Rem.jpg
Rem.jpg (2.92 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Rem  the flight.jpg

indy1919a4
United States of America

#531 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:47 pm

One of my favorite Remington pictures.. Always wondered how the fight ended..
Attachments
fight_for_the_water_hole-large.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#532 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:07 am

This Remington is based on an actual incident. If I remember the story correctly, a drunken soldier bet his friends that he could hold up a stagecoach at night with nothing but a pair of scissors, which he proceeded to do.
Attachments
remington_holdup.jpg

indy1919a4
United States of America

#533 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 am

Ouch,,, never saw that one.. Mr scissors was lucky he was not renamed Buckshot boy.. But if the picture is accurate.. the Stage driver had his hands full of reins and would not be in a hurry to draw..

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#534 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Happy birthday, America. It's time to renew that glorious 4th of July tradition of anvil shooting. Basically you set one anvil on top of another with black powder in between and touch it off. The top anvil goes up into the sky. There are some good youtube videos of this.
Attachments
anvil2.jpg
anvil2.jpg (16.46 KiB) Viewed 102 times
anvil.jpg
anvil.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 102 times

ffuries
United States of America

#535 Post by ffuries » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:55 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:49 pm
Happy birthday, America. It's time to renew that glorious 4th of July tradition of anvil shooting. Basically you set one anvil on top of another with black powder in between and touch it off. The top anvil goes up into the sky. There are some good youtube videos of this.
Why do I get a mental picture of Wile E Coyote as I read this....... :shock:
Attachments
coyote-1.5-2.jpeg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#536 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Speaking of anvils. the go to model these days if you can't find an oldtimer is made by Emerson Horseshoe Supply Co. down in Bossier City, Louisiana. These are top of the line tool steel. If you've seen the TV show Forged In Fire, that is what they use. I've got a 200-pounder ordered for my shop. It is due to arrive in 2 days and I can't wait to start banging on it.
Attachments
Emerson.jpg

indy1919a4
United States of America

#537 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Do not discount Hammer Fireworks South of the border, its a little less high tone then Anvil shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCQElI5T-A

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#538 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 pm

That is really interesting. I totally cracked up when that kid blew himself over backwards. What do you think they are using for the explosive?

indy1919a4
United States of America

#539 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 pm
That is really interesting. I totally cracked up when that kid blew himself over backwards. What do you think they are using for the explosive?
I do not know, I went to do a google on it and my dear bride forbid me to look :) don't know why

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#540 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 pm

The Adventures of Champion ran on TV from 1955-56. The exploits of Champion, a wild stallion who befriends twelve year-old Ricky North in the American Southwest in the 1880's. Although Ricky, who lived on his Uncle Sandy's ranch, had a magnetic attraction for trouble, he was always rescued by the Wonder Horse, aided by the boy's other bosom companion, German shepherd dog, Rebel.
Attachments
champ2.jpg
champ2.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 81 times
champ.jpg
champ.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 81 times

Return to “General Off Topic”