Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

45-70 Wow

Hippycrowe
United States of America

45-70 Wow

#1 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:41 pm

In Ohio you can use straight walled rifles for a few years now. I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that I have used for a couple years now. I shot a doe at 80 yards in the chest killed her instantly my brother shot a small buck today and hit him in the spine and killed him quick,the power round is amazing I think it would kill anything in North America and most game in Africa. That round broke all the ribs of the buck amazing the damage it does

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: 45-70 Wow

#2 Post by nrobertb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Yep, the round does good. I shot a big mule deer buck in New Mexico with my Springfield trapdoor. He dropped like a rock.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Heavy and slow has always dropped the largest game.
In 1998 a good friend of mine won the lottery for a Buffalo depredation hunt in Yellowstone National Park. A hunt of a life time.
Bruce is one of the Nations foremost experts on Remington Rolling Block rifles and owns some of the rarest in the country.
He took an original RRB rifle in .45-70. He was guided by a park ranger to a small herd of Buffalo. Bruce and the other hunters who also won the hunt watched as he sighted the rifle standing, on a bull. Bruce fired the rifle using and original loading of a 500 grain bullet over 70 grains of FFG powder. The bullet dropped the bull instantly and a second later a cow standing behind the bull dropped as well. Bruce was mortified at the felling of the second Buffalo and feared he was in big trouble.
The park ranger was so amazed at the powder of the .45-70. Bruce said all he did was say "Wow!" and started to laugh. "Don't worry the local Indians will be happy to have the extra meat."
Bruce told me after the hunt that when the two Buffalo's were dressed out the bullet passed through both of the bulls shoulders and then entered the cows right rib cage at a forward angle and was found in front of the left shoulder close to the neck. The bullet had expanded to about .60.
The range of his shot when paced off was about 110 yards.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 pm
Heavy and slow has always dropped the largest game.
In 1998 a good friend of mine won the lottery for a Buffalo depredation hunt in Yellowstone National Park. A hunt of a life time.
Bruce is one of the Nations foremost experts on Remington Rolling Block rifles and owns some of the rarest in the country.
He took an original RRB rifle in .45-70. He was guided by a park ranger to a small herd of Buffalo. Bruce and the other hunters who also won the hunt watched as he sighted the rifle standing, on a bull. Bruce fired the rifle using and original loading of a 500 grain bullet over 70 grains of FFG powder. The bullet dropped the bull instantly and a second later a cow standing behind the bull dropped as well. Bruce was mortified at the felling of the second Buffalo and feared he was in big trouble.
The park ranger was so amazed at the powder of the .45-70. Bruce said all he did was say "Wow!" and started to laugh. "Don't worry the local Indians will be happy to have the extra meat."
Bruce told me after the hunt that when the two Buffalo's were dressed out the bullet passed through both of the bulls shoulders and then entered the cows right rib cage at a forward angle and was found in front of the left shoulder close to the neck. The bullet had expanded to about .60.
The range of his shot when paced off was about 110 yards.
Good Gawd, now I'm trying to picture what a human target would look like it hit by one!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#5 Post by Hippycrowe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm

I use Hornady 325 grain rubber tipped, the doe I shot the bullet stopped in 4 inches inside her chest. It transferred all the energy almost instantly. I push the bullet at around 2050 fps. I don't see how a person would servive an accidental shooting.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#6 Post by Reverend Mauser » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm

I think it would kill anything in North America and most game in Africa.
No question it's grizzly medicine. I would guess in theory it would do for a cape buffalo where legal and with the right bullet type.

Got to admit, I would not mind a marlin guide gun in 45-70.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm

I have a first year Marlin 1895. It has a Microgroove barrel. Recoil with a 500 grain bullet is punishing. The 405 bullet is not too bad on the shoulder.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

les1234
United States of America

#8 Post by les1234 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:17 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm
I have a first year Marlin 1895. It has a Microgroove barrel. Recoil with a 500 grain bullet is punishing. The 405 bullet is not too bad on the shoulder.
I have one like it, early straight grip, no safety one. It's not bad when shooting standing, don't think prone or bench rest would be fun, though. Mostly I've shot 405 grain, the only 500 grain ammo I've had had the looooong nosed "Government" profile bullet that won't feed through the magazine.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#9 Post by Hippycrowe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Mine is only a few years old it will not shoot 500 grain

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Burner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 am

I have one like it, early straight grip, no safety one. It's not bad when shooting standing, don't think prone or bench rest would be fun, though.
Are you shooting modern smokless loads?

IF so that crap is just painfull .

Try Black powder, it is just a smooth push, even with 500 grainers.
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#11 Post by Hippycrowe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm

I saw my brother hit a button buck at almost 400 yards on my dads farm I walked it off could not believe it. Took 3 shots to get the range but he did it on the 4th lol even at that range it killed the deer

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#12 Post by nrobertb » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:06 pm

In New Mexico I saw a friend kill a mule deer buck on the far side of a canyon with his .45-70. He set the butt on the ground and held the muzzle up at about a 45 degree angle. He was just fooling around and was flabbergasted when he dropped the deer. I don't know what the straight line distance was but that deer looked mighty small. Of course then he had to cross the canyon and drag that heavy deer back to the road. (I didn't help.) :lol:

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#13 Post by Hippycrowe » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am

The box says at 400 yards bullet drops I think 29 inches I would love to hunt mule deer.

dmg4
United States of America

#14 Post by dmg4 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 am

Are you shooting modern smokeless loads?

IF so that crap is just painfull .
I have to admit, it is more than a bit jarring if you are used to firing 150 gr/30 cal stuff. If you've fired a 12 ga slug, you should have some anticipation of what's about to happen, and either roll with it, or tense up, lean into it, and take the punch. Big weight move forward, gun move backward. That happens whether it's a modern or vintage propellant. The rest is detail.

All my 45/70 shooting is done with an 1898 trapdoor. Now that's FUN! When I need recoil therapy after a bad day at work, nothing takes your mind off daily worries like a good 45/70 whallop.
Frequently wrong, never in doubt.

HectorFuego
United States of America

#15 Post by HectorFuego » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

I shot a Thompson Contender pistol in 45-70, not once but twice. The second shot I learned my lesson. It was scoped and we were shooting off of a bench at 100 yards. The accuracy was surprisingly good. The recoil was not so much fun though. There was a chip out of the wood in the bench and that 45-70 drove my elbow into, across, and out of it. Yep, I paid for that second shot with a pound of flesh. Nevertheless, if someone were into hunting big game with a handgun, that one would be tough to beat.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Return to “General Off Topic”