Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Southernland springs Texas shooting

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

Southernland springs Texas shooting

#1 Post by FamilyFirearms » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:37 pm

:( :( We would like to send the people of Southernland Texes our deepes condolences and our hearts mourn with you. With the crazed person shooting them down in a house of worship is mind blowing and the evil it took is all to common today. May God bless all the people of the congregation and help heal them during this troubled time.

People will blame the tool once more and think if they "disarm" the populous, everyone will be safe. Quite the contrary, when only the evil bear weapons, we can't defend our own. I am glad our church is gun friendly and many carry guns while attending.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Southernland springs Texas shooting

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Another point of blame for them is that he was prior USAF, and they love to say that military members are trained to kill.

So an ex military member with an assault weapon, the anti-gun nerds will have a field day with it. Prior and current military will get dragged over the coals.

My heart goes out to those affected by this tragedy! We need to remember the facts, and not blame the gun, or hold the military past and present accountable for the actions of one.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#3 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Why wasn't his conviction of domestic violence bu the Millitary reported to Nics

Hammy
United States of America

#4 Post by Hammy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Once more the cry of "sensible gun control" will ring out across the land. I have asked a non-gun person I know what "sensible gun control" means. Apparently it means that every gun in the country gets melted down and then dumped in the middle of the ocean, and the ammo gets dumped next to it. Then, their logic went, if you don't have the means to "slaughter dozens in seconds" you will have to come to the realization that love beats hate, and you will become a better person. I'm serious, that is what I was told. My heart goes out to the victims and families of those who have to live with the emotional scars they will carry for the rest of their lives, and I struggle to understand what motivates this kind of obscenity. I praise the two men who aided in the demise of the shooter and hope he ends up in that special corner of hell reserved for child killers. The President said that it's not a gun issue, it's a mental health issue. Until we can get past the old standard of "doctor/patient confidentiality" and "I can't tell you he's sick because that would hurt his feelings", we won't make much progress towards blocking people who shouldn't get guns, from getting guns. Sorry for the rant, but my wife and I have been "discussing" this topic all day, and it is very frustrating to be a gun owner and have to defend why.
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:31 pm

He fired 450 rounds. 15 empty 30 round magazines were found on the ground at the church.
He was shot twice by the citizen in a leg and torso, then he shot himself in the head after he crashed the car.
He was convicted for beating his wife,fracturing the skull of his son and he beat his dog half to death. The Air Force did not report this to the FBI or his local law enforcement agency when he was discharged with a BCD. His one year conviction should have automatically stopped him from owning any firearm for the rest of his life.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Hippycrowe
United States of America

#6 Post by Hippycrowe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Some one did not report the crime to the FBI back ground check the ball was dropped. Cracking the skull of a little kid he should have spent 30 years in prison. I don't know how a piece of crap like this is not in prison or a mental institute. Nothing gets my blood boil like some one abusing a child.

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:28 pm

According to the article I read he did not pass a Texas background check to carry, if so he wouldn't have passed a check to own a weapon. Could be he owned the weapons before the BCD and for whatever reason they were never turned it.

If I recall correctly the form you fill out for the background check to purchase a weapon asks if you have a less than honorable discharge, of have ever been convicted of DV. It is my understanding that a yes on either is an automatic no go.

So my opinion is he either owned before, a straw purchase, or black market wepaon.

ETA: Sorry just saw the article where it states his convictions weren't reported. Which confuses me, it shows he could pass a background check to purchase weapons, yet couldn't pass a check to carry in Texas. Again there are the two questions that should have flagged his purchases, the less than honorable discharge and domestic battery conviction, so he had to lie on the forms, and due to the military's screw up it wasn't caught.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#8 Post by Ghoulardi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm

it wouldn't have helped one teeny tiny bit even if his conviction was reported to the FBI. felons, criminals etc... can still buy a firearm, and it doesn't have to be in the so-called "black market". just pay a entrance fee to any gun show find a "private sale", pay and leave, all done in the open.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#9 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 am

Looks like the USAF dropped the ball on this one. I think the form asks for a "dishonorable discharge" not "bad conduct discharge" as the news reports. His court martial was a felony, so the USAF should have reported it. No real good excuse here. No need for more gun laws either.

That guy was a nut case who injured a baby who couldn't even walk yet and gave him skill injuries, and that was before he walked into a church and killed people.

Best Regards,

Mark

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 am

He was stationed here at Holloman AFB in NM. ( far East side of the state next to TX)The local police knew of his violent background and he was refused purchasing a firearm in NM.
The state police is looking into if he tried to get a CCW permit as well.
A photo of his weapon is now posted and it looks very much like what the AF uses to protect our "special" aircraft we have stationed here.
The Gentleman who shot the murderer twice is a NRA firearms instructor.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ffuries
United States of America

#11 Post by ffuries » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:24 am
Looks like the USAF dropped the ball on this one. I think the form asks for a "dishonorable discharge" not "bad conduct discharge" as the news reports. His court martial was a felony, so the USAF should have reported it. No real good excuse here. No need for more gun laws either.

That guy was a nut case who injured a baby who couldn't even walk yet and gave him skill injuries, and that was before he walked into a church and killed people.

Best Regards,

Mark
I read the Secretary of AF has ordered a records audit to check for similar/additional failures of this nature and for the information to be inputted into the appropriate databases. Day late and a dollar short, but I guess if it prevents another disqualified prior AF member from getting weapons it's a step in the right direction.

I wonder how much accountability the AF will take for their screwup in the end, or if any heads will roll over this!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

wjh
United States of America

#12 Post by wjh » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm glad the AF admitted their failure and didn't try and cover it up. It appears there are some cracks in the system that have been exposed
and will now be repaired. Would that have made a difference? We will never know, but seeing how crazy he was it is not unreasonable to think
he would have acquired a weapon anyway.

I also would like to know if he was on any medication. Some of these drugs really mess with peoples minds. If you read the accounts from the
survivors you see how really messed up this individual was. Even the most despicable murderer typically doesn't shoot babies.

I'm now rethinking about carrying a weapon in church. To my knowledge, we have no church policy so I wouldn't even ask. It is a short walk
through the foyer into the sanctuary during a service. We live in a nice very low crime area, but that doesn't make any difference to someone
who is crazy. If I were going to get shot I'd like at least like the chance to fight back.

FamilyFirearms
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
United States of America

#13 Post by FamilyFirearms » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:22 pm

We are starting a men's group at our church "beef and bullets" where we can talk about anything non wife like talk and praise god. Our pastor, elders and most of the church are gun people and a lot carry. We should post a sign " no unattended guns in vehicles, all guns are on the owners"! The only reason I don't carry at church is we work with the kids in Sunday school. I could go out and get it for 2nd service but I don't like leaving a unattended gun in a car.

Return to “General Off Topic”