Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Your never too old to learn....She made my day.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Your never too old to learn....She made my day.

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:32 pm

I'm retired. I do "handy-Man" work for several older woman in my area. One of my regulars is a nice lady who loves firearms but had to raise three kids and take care of her retired husband. He's passed away two years ago.
Every time I'm over at her house ( in the middle of no where New Mexico) we talk about guns and shooting. She built her own range in the back yard and is a very good shot with a Daisy Red Ryder BB-gun. She can shoot 3" groups at 15 yards all day long. She shoots the ladle off of plastic picnic spoons stuck in the ground. A tiny target using a BB-gun.
Today I had to fix damage to her house done by Pack Rats and afterwards she said her boyfriend had given her a 9mm 1911 pistol. It turns out to be a Gun Coated Star Model B pistol!
She did not know how to use it let alone how to load the magazine.
I showed her how to safely handle the pistol,load the magazine and charge the pistol. I could see she was not keen on shooting the pistol.She is very safety conscious.
I asked her if I could show here how to shoot it. We went into the back yard and she had set up a 6" gong AR500 target at 15 yards hoping I'd teach her how to shoot a pistol!
HA...set me up she did.
As those of you who know me,you know I was a BUDS instructor while serving in the Navy. ( Boot Underwater Demolition Team / SEALS ) I taught Pistol and long range rifle shooting. The "Boots" had to pass my course or would not continue with Special Forces training. I prided myself with never having a student fail my course.
I instructed her how to stand, how to hold the pistol and how to align the sights. She found her " Natural-point -of- aim" loaded the pistol and took aim. She squeezed the seeds out of a grape as she pulled the trigger and her first shot was centered in the gong! I told her to keep shooting resting her arms after each shot. She hit the target with every shot! Not bad for an 75 year old lady. She removed the magazine and laid the pistol down,with ejection port up on the table and stepped back. She listens well.
The smile on her face made it all worthwhile. She made my day. I love teaching woman. They have no preconceived notions or axes to grind. They want to do well.
Now I have to go back and teach her rifle shooting. She has 450 acres of land and wants to shoot 200 yards off the bat. I think she will do well. She already bought an AR-15 hoping I'd teach her. Got me again she did....
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Your never too old to learn....She made my day.

#2 Post by DaleH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

Awesome story and your experience mimics mine, in that women are better students. Have taught 1,000s of kids & adults to shoot archery over the years and women always takes the trophies for the tightest group and most consistent average.

Have also always enjoyed your contributions here and I thank you for your service. Reading your posts alaways makes me wish that I were your neighbor!

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:47 am

You and any member here is always welcome to stop by if your out our way and shoot with us at our long range. The range is only seven miles off of Interstate 40 ( all paved roads) and would be a fun detour as you travel to the West. The range is open Wednesday-Sunday. We shoot every Sunday for practice and matches.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#4 Post by Reverend Mauser » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 am

DaleH wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 am

Have also always enjoyed your contributions here and I thank you for your service. Reading your posts alaways makes me wish that I were your neighbor!

To add to this, RapidRob gets kudos from me, too. My first foray into buying old guns resulted in a Turk Mauser that would not headspace. Rob kindly sent a couple of bolt bodies to see if I could do the switcheroo. Turned out, I stumbled onto one here and didn't need his, so i sent them back.

His kindness has not been forgotten.

professrh
United States of America

#5 Post by professrh » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 am

At the risk of sounding sappy, one of the things I'm thankful for today is the community at SRF, and all the knowledge I've managed to glean here over the years (although I still don't know much).

RapidRob has consistently been among the most knowledgeable and generous contributors to my growing database of skills and understanding.

Thanks and kudos, RapidRob . . .and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

--Prof

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

I went back to her home and we talked about .22 rifles. I brought an old Remington 512 single shot rifle that has a youth stock. I instructed her on how to safely hold and shoot it. At 25 yards she shot it as well as most of my club members could. That impressed me.
She asked me what my first .22 was and I told her it was a Remington 514. A nice little single shot rifle to learn to shoot with. She looked it up on the web and said she liked it. I told her we need to find her a .22 rifle.
I drove her into town to a gun shop I frequent the next day. Sitting on the rack was a like new Remington 514. The manager and I worked out a deal on the rifle and we settled on 100 bucks out the door. For the first time in her life she filled out the required paper work for the Feds. The salesman was very helpful on filling the form out properly.
She and I met up with a couple of my shooting buddies for lunch. They presented her with a couple of Reactionary .22 Targets for her to plink at.
I drove her the 70 miles home and we shot her new rifle until the wind drove us indoors and I had to go home.
She loves her new toy and from what I saw she hardly ever misses. She calls every shot. And gets angry at herself when she misses. She's hooked on shooting.
One of my club members and I returned two days later to plan out her 200 yard range. With the help of a neighbor who owns a road-grader and backhoe we should be able to build a very safe impact berm and stands for targets.
We also brought out our .22's and the three of us relived our childhoods plinking at targets for a couple of hours. I'm not sure who had more fun.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Smokey
United States of America

#7 Post by Smokey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I live in the northeast zone of madness, where all women are assumed to be howling liberals unless proven otherwise (my wife was proven otherwise). Glad to know that sensible women exist elsewhere.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Return to “General Off Topic”