Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Milsurp collector age

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

Milsurp collector age

#1 Post by Kbaumgartner » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I have always wonderd what the age range is for collectors. Also wanted to know how many young collectors are out there. I'm 21 years old. Just want to see the response i get.

OldGrouchyGuy
United States of America

Re: Milsurp collector age

#2 Post by OldGrouchyGuy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Shot my first firearm at age 4 (a .) 22, owned my first one at age 8 (another .22). Always had 5 -10 guns in my possession at any one time but didn't start seriously collecting until about 10 years ago. I'm 61.
NRA Lifetime member, CHL, C&R - Known to be extremely Grouchy and may be armed. Do not attempt to apprehend and instead notify local authorities.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 pm

i got my Dad's bring back Mauser '98 at 12. Bought my first Enfield at 13. Never stopped since then.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#4 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 am

I'm 23, I started when I was 17.

DaleH
United States of America

#5 Post by DaleH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 am

Mid-50s, but more of a shooter, than a collector, though I certainly have a few nice 'collectible' items.

Glad to hear some of you YOUNGER gents are into mil-surps! As this weekend, I'll be going to a HUGE black powdah shoot, w/ cannons (primarily US Civil War era) with about 50 to 60 or more shooters attending, plus spectators.

Last year just for fun, I brought one of my accurate flintlock smoothbores (48" barrel) and the other guys were commenting "about the 'KID' w/ the rock lock who kept ringing the gong on us" ... as they were all older ... and I was past 50.

Not a good outlook for the next generation ...

72 usmc
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am

I see most surplus collectors are in their 50-70s. Most of us picked up the stuff when it was cheep or not import marked during the first Golden age 1950-60s and the second Golden age 1990-2010 mostly import marked goodies. Turks and mosins by the box full, or one of each date since they were $59-100 back then. So now you younger guys will come onto, the lets say "Silver age "- when us old guys get health problems or just drop dead and the collection of 50-100 rifles goes on the market by the kids or wife or old guy. The family wants to get rid of the stuff and not spends years at shows selling off a group. They want it gone ASAP so you are starting to see more tables with collections at the price the old guy paid or greatly reduced prices. Real good stuff. The dealers have broke the price barrier. Not too many buyers are paying top buck or more than top price unless its something real odd, in a unique condition, or rare. Less of the 20-40 average age group is at shows due to high prices. Fewer have served in the services and have no idea about firearms. Some of the younger group are paint ball or airsofft players going to a gun show for the first time or the range to fire a real rifle with an experienced friend. These are the few you see at general shows and are under 40. The best show where you see the younger crowd is when the gun show is associated with craft show, antique or train show in the same larger complex. The gun show gets people from the other shows just coming in to see what a gun show actually looks like. There are few that actually consider range shooting, or competition shooting as a sport. The younger group it seems likes the semi auto black stuff.

I also tend to only go to shows that favor or have more dealers that sell surplus rifles so I may not be on point. But if you have cash, and you are into the old surplus stuff, and not the black rifle garbage, in the next 10-15 years, surplus stuff will be coming out of the wood work- great stuff picked up and stashed in gun safes years ago will be sold. Prices will be higher than a dealer would pay at their bottom of the barrel offers, they got to make at least 50%. But prices will be way less than current market. That is how I just got a Mas 36 at $85(the price the former owner paid) and some other deals at the last show. The owner died and his wife was disposing of the goodies at fantastic prices. So for the younger group say in their 30-40s that likes surplus, the next 10 years is going to be the next big dump of surplus junk ( The Sliver age or 3rd Golden age) and I bet it will force prices back to a normal range. There will be a "surplus" of SURPLUS military stuff. :lol: :lol: There will also be a trend for lower prices due to lots of goodies and less takers. There are fewer young people hunting and the old sick guys like me are giving things up. You no longer see WW II vets bring there bring backs to a show. They are dead or to old to get around. I would rather hand out my stuff to friends for free or what I paid then sell to a big time dealer. But less of the younger group is into military surplus firearms and military history in general. And yes I was bad, I was suppose to get rid of two rifles, instead I picked up 3. Prices just to good to pass up. :naughty: :naughty: Do not tell my better half. She wants the stuff gone before a second stroke takes me out :oops: :oops: :oops:

So at shows I would say 50-80 years old is about 70 %. About 10% just nuts for the black rifles at any price --these are younger males. The 70-80 group is very selective in buying and spend more time visiting or talking than buying. Most bring a gun or two to sell off. Then lets say 20% of the 20-40year old group and they have less cash to buy toys due to kids, house payments, crazy student loans, ect. They are looking for a specific military rifle to hang on the wall or to shoot. Most of this group gets hunting guns free from family members. I do see more younger gals at shows in their 30-40s, but they are buying new pistols for conceal carry, or looking into taking a cc class. My :twocents-02cents: :twocents-twocents:

My first surplus rifle was from Woolworths in Milwaukee. They had barrels full of junk rifles at $10. It was a Mannlicher long barrel M95 back in 1965, dad had to buy it for me. It had the bayonet. Second rifle was a black powder 58cal Zouave repro. CW rifle, that was for Civil War reenacting during high school. Still got both. Then we enlisted in the USMC and got M14s and the 45auto since I was a tanker. I wish I had ripped off an M14 and M48A3 tank. :roll: :lol: :lol:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

The Dude
United States of America

#7 Post by The Dude » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I started when I was 13. My dad had an old 1895 Chilean Mauser and I shot it for the first time. Needless to say it knocked me over but I loved every minute of it. I am now 38 and have more than is truly needed. :) 72 usmc is correct though. I am am not as experienced as the other gents but I do know what I see at shows. Most of the collector types are in their 50's and 60's. Its getting harder to get the good deals most of us experienced. Now, I have to wait for estate sales or gun shows to find what I want. Sometimes my buddy, who is an FFL, gets some interesting pieces once and awhile.

Ozzman
United States of America

#8 Post by Ozzman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Caught Mosinitis at age 23... Bought all I could afford after that.

Currently age 36.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

idahoshooter
United States of America

#9 Post by idahoshooter » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:42 pm

My first milsurp was my grandfathers Type I that I inherited in 2012, followed by a mosin and several others. I'm 31.

72 usmc
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Here is a stupid question. :geek: Do most of the under 30 group go to gun shows or buy from on line sources? No time to hunt for a gun :?: For me half of the fun was the HUNT :arrow: searching, meeting fellow collectors, dickering & trading and all the fun that went with going to a show. The hunt and some of the stories associated with the find now seem more important than the actual gun.

I liked to see the metal finish, inspect the stock, and gauge the bore as well as headspace the firearm and actually see what I use to buy. Rarely did I buy from an auction, or on line dealer. I always got bottom of the barrel garbage the few times I ordered from Century, Sog, or Aim. I gave up on that real fast. Todd at Family Firearms is the only dealer that was, and still is, good as gold. He treats a buyer like his kid. I always got better than described firearms-- most so good I dare not shoot the mint example he sent. Stuff you could go to 10 shows and never see in that condition. He's the guy to buy from mail order and TRUST like your dad. Maybe more of the younger group do mail order???? :doh: :think: :think: :shifty: :shifty:

I also remember a jump in demand for surplus rifles especially Arisakas and M1 carbines after movies like Band of Brothers, Saving Pvt. Ryan, Ken Burn's The War, and then Iwo Jima& Flags of our Fathers. A stinking $50 mumless, mismatched, Japanese rifle was all of a sudden worth $150. Now they are $250-$300. Same with the cheep carcanos that no one wanted. Prices skyrocketed. Heck, when Enemy at the Gates came out lots of people wanted to buy fake sniper Mosins. Then later movies like First Light ,The Great Raid, Hacksaw Ridge, Saints & Soldiers, The Void, and Fury all seemed to push a demand for replica WWII firearms and the replica air soft, pellet, and BB guns that are in great demand-- more so than real firearms. How many are into replicas?

As an old guy, I have also gotten into replica bb and pellet pistols- mostly because I can shoot in the basement. The air guns, I even buy on line. :naughty: Check out Pyramyd Air or Airgun depot. Some of the pistols cost as much as the real one. :roll:

So maybe they younger group just does not go to shows--there certainly is an interest in the BB and pellet replicas. And WW II stuff does not sit long at the antique store if its a bayonet, helmet, or web gear.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Sarge
United States of America

#11 Post by Sarge » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 am

I started shooting at about 5 using my dads 38 Colt service revolver - with him kneeling behind me and holding my hands in his. I got my first gun, a 22 Remington bolt action at 8 and a single bbl shotgun the next year (traded that in for a 20 ga double the next year). It has all been down hill from there.
I'm now 81 and the heard consists of over 200 rifles, pistols, shotguns & MGs (& 3 mortars). 8-)
Sarge

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

#12 Post by Kbaumgartner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:18 am

Hoping to find some deals right now on some surplus items. Don't have to many connections in my area and the gun shows around me aren't to great. Best thing at them is Family Firearms so that's a good thing. Hoping I can find some great deals here soon!

72 usmc
United States of America

#13 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Best thing at them is Family Firearms so that's a good thing.
:scared-eek: :text-yeahthat: :text-yeahthat:
Todd has the best of the best. Consider yourself lucky. You get to see his goodies in person. Just that the pocket book will be empty.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#14 Post by Ghoulardi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:10 pm

don't consider myself and don't want to be "pigeon holed" a "Milsurp" collector. I buy firearms that appeal to me. so I'm a gun collector.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Kbaumgartner
United States of America

#15 Post by Kbaumgartner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:50 am

I always like to look at what he has at the gun show ! Haven't bought from them yet but probably will soon!

Return to “General Off Topic”