Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ken Burns WW2

timbo1955
Russia

Ken Burns WW2

#1 Post by timbo1955 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Was watching this series again in HD , and I thought I saw a Johnson Automatic manchine gun in the film on Tarawa, cant tell , seems to have a air cooled cover over barrel , then in the part where the Army is attacking Monte Cassino , I see another one around the 58 minute mark being used by a army soldier kneeling next to one with a Garand , has anybody seen these ?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Ken Burns WW2

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Are we talking about the Ken Burns, 2007, PBS series with seven episodes by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick entitled "THE WAR" ?

What episode were you watching? There are 7:

Episode Synopses

EPISODE ONE: “A Necessary War”
EPISODE TWO: “When Things Get Tough”
EPISODE THREE: “A Deadly Calling”
EPISODE FOUR: “Pride of Our Nation”
EPISODE FIVE: “FUBAR”
EPISODE SIX: “The Ghost Front”
EPISODE SEVEN: “A World Without War”
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 756 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 pm

I've seen the whole series when it first came out, but I don't think I've seen it since. It isn't uncommon to have the wrong period scenes in documentaries. I don't know if Burns used footage from Tarawa, but I think there was a quite a bit released to the US public at the time, since I think that was the first time US casualties were ever shown, which gives it historical note, not the pictures of the Johnson. He did show some of the footage from what I remember since it noted this was the first time casualties were shown, at least dead casualties.

Relatively good documentary overall. Ken Burns generally doesn't do bad work and even has had the backing of the Koch brothers in the past. They tend to fund serious documentaries, not to mention science related topics on PBS.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, many cable channels show documentaries that commonly show the wrong period footage in their clips. Ken Burns was far less guilty than those in comparison.

luigi
United States of America

#4 Post by luigi » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Mark,

I agree Burns did a good job on "The War" & I really enjoyed it. :D

I wish I could say the same about his version of " The Vietnam War ". :evil: I would comment further but this is not the political section

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:44 pm

Actually there is a book that goes along with this series I did not know about. I just found it at a second hand store for $2, originally $50. Now its only 12 bucks new--talk about a value loss. A great book with some great photos and stories. See the reviews.

A great large hard cover, The War: An Intimate History, 1941-1945 Hard cover 2007
by Geoffrey C. Ward (Author),& Ken Burns.
Amazon has lots of used copies :
Attachments
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 657 times
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “General Off Topic”