Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Korean War signed flag

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Korean War signed flag

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 pm

I recently encountered a Korean war, USMC vets collection from my home town. It contains his uniforms, photo album, papers, flag, ROKMC dog tag, and other items. I am currently researching the material. The flag is a South Korean, USMC 0811 cannon cockers signed flag from 1952 ( one of the names has the date 52) of US Marines from Battery A ,11th Marines, 1st Marine division. A total of 31 marines signed the souvenir silk flag. I got a USMC roster dated 30 April 1952 where all are listed by their real names. This flag is made of a woven silk with sewn edges with two strings at the corners on one side of the flag to attach to a pole or staff. The flag is small; it measures 16 1/2 inches by 24 1/2 inches. It appears very similar to the one shown in the below collection. The names are much more visible/readable under different light conditions- the photos not so great.

Has anyone seen or have another example of such an item? I also got a similar blue & white UN flag from this vet. I am going to post the names of the Marines and service number as well as a photo of how each signed their name- some used nick names. Also the name of the hometown vet that owned the flag. This will eventually go to the Menomonee Falls historical society after it is highlighted on our Vets day display at Templeton middle school. I just had to save the group for historical reasons from a fellow Marine that passed away.

Here is the flag I will let you know the owner and all names after some research. Click on it to enlarge.
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 6.32.11 PM.png
I have found a similar example here.
Attachments
4sy6tu.jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Korean War signed flag

#2 Post by ffuries » Tue May 01, 2018 5:11 pm

I've got no ideal on where to start for research purposes. Awesome find and save. I guess start by researching what names you can read. On the ones you can find info on, maybe do a quick bio on them to include with the display, or place in a binder or digital format so visitors can read up on these men.

Could hook up with a genealogical group for help with the research, they might extend their services if you explain the ideal/purpose behind it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Mike I found all the names on fold 3 and can see them all on the flag under different light conditions. Now I am on ancestry .com to see how many are still alive. One member on the flag was a battle causality listed as accident. I want to put them in alpha order, serial # , how signed the flag and a photo of their written name. Fold 3 and ancestry.com finds most unknown vets.

Did you ever see this type of souvenir in the Air Force? We generally signed the company photo on the back or front depending on how many were in your Company photo. Mine had a M48 tank one side and a m51 recovery tank on the other with the guys in the middle for the photo. Most never thought of a flag? What would have been neat is a NVA flag. I have not seen any Korean vets with N. Korea flags or bring back Chinese Tokarev. Our capture Chinese Toks were M20s or type 54s. In Korea it might have been a Chinese type 51 with the star on it. These are very had to find. I have never seen one in person. The guys kid said his dad had a pistol, but he did not know the difference between a US GI 45 and a Tok. He is looking for it and any other USMC stuff. Can I be that lucky. Most Marines had sticky fingers when it came to bring stuff back.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue May 01, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Tue May 01, 2018 7:43 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:17 pm
Mike I found all the names on fold 3 and can see them all on the flag under different light conditions. Now I am on ancestry .com to see how many are still alive. One member on the flag was a battle causality listed as accident. I want to put them in alpha order, serial # , how signed the flag and a photo of their written name. Fold 3 and ancestry.com finds most unknown vets.
Cool deal glad you found all that you have. It's a very honorable and worthwhile journey you chosen to undertake. It will memorialize these men and their story for generations to come. Thank you for making the choice to do this.
Last edited by ffuries on Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 pm

This is my Uncle Arts photo with his Mustang group WW II photo. 2nd row on the right, second tall guy
Attachments
Uncle art cwiklinski air group p 51s .jpg

ffuries
United States of America

#6 Post by ffuries » Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 pm
This is my Uncle Arts photo with his Mustang group WW II photo. 2nd row on the right, second tall guy
Was he the one that had his Mustang go down over France? Can't recall if he lived or passed in the crash, but I seem to recall the seeing a picture of the mangled remains of his Mustang. You and I chatted a bit about it a few years back, I did some checking on the tail number, markings etc for you. I also some checking on a photo album for you and something else.

We have the same passion for keeping military history alive and in the view of the public.
Last edited by ffuries on Tue May 01, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Sorry I forgot about that, I guess I sent you the pics a long time ago. Shot down in France and was hid in an attic by french farmers. He made it out back to his unit and became a Milwaukee police officer. He died a few years ago. He was my mothers brother, dads family was mostly Marines or Navy in WW II. All had huge familys back then, 9 and 10 kids. Yes I got a WW II bomber B17 pilots stuff and letters that I still have not scanned to record. He was the Legion commander for the local chapter. Thanks for all your help. His plane was shot down Christmas day 1944. Letters, pictures and what I posted was lost on the old forum crash. I never reposted his stuff. Heres a link to info you helped find. I posted more info, but never got a copy of his diary from the forum mod. He never replied to any of my requests. photos remain intact on this site:

http://rascal2.websitetoolbox.com/post/ ... ow-2938781

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Tue May 01, 2018 9:45 pm

Now it all comes back, no biggie reminding me, we all need it from time to time, as it was a few years back.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Militaria, Kits, Belts, Packs, etc”