Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Named WWII M1 Helmet Liner

ffuries
United States of America

Named WWII M1 Helmet Liner

#1 Post by ffuries » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:09 pm

First Saturday of the month after the local gunshow (Didn't find anything I couldn't live without), the wife and I hit a local antique store. As we were leaving I spied a helmet tucked in a corner. Now I know the vast majority of helmets at antique stores are Vietnam era M1 helmets, but this one was a dark color.

So needless to say I had to check it out. Helmet turned out to be Schlueter made helmet (Only made during WWII), liner is a WWII Westinghouse Electric Company made liner and is named with an ASN. Kicker was the price tag $30.00, helmet now has a new home. Helmet is missing the canvas chinstrap, the liner is missing the leather chinstrap and the snaps for the nape strap have pulled through the webbing.

Though I am not 100% certain....I think I might have figured his stuff out. Few things left to confirm, member on another gun site is doing some checking/research for me also.

Known fact: After WWII he is shown as an Infantry soldier filling a First Sergeant billet (E-7).

Now during the Korean War the same name appears as an Infantry Master Sergeant (E-7), where he is awarded a Silver Star for his actions, citation is named to a 2 Lt with the actions occurring when he was a MSgt (Citation makes mention of both ranks). So it appears he received a battle field commission, he then shows up as a Capt in Vietnam in 68 and 69 on unit reports.

Seeing both the First Sergeant and Master Sergeant/2 Lt are from the same place in Louisiana, same name, both single at the end of WWII. The difference in the Army Serial Number could be explained as one was his Enlisted ASN the other his Officer ASN. So if I confirm my research then it would appear he is a 3 war veteran WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War, and the recipient of at least 1 Silver Star, with a very long and honorable US Army career.
Attachments
IMG_0622a.jpg
IMG_0618a.jpg
IMG_0617a.jpg
IMG_0621a.jpg
IMG_0619a.jpg
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Named WWII M1 Helmet Liner

#2 Post by ffuries » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Overall liner shot.
Attachments
IMG_0620a.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Named WWII M1 Helmet Liner

#3 Post by ffuries » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Update:

He served with the 79th Infantry Division during WWII and the 2nd Infantry Division during the Korean War.

He has at least 3 Purple Hearts in addition to his Silver Star and Bronze Star and landed in Normandy in June 1944. Will try and compose a known list of his awards. His promotions to officer weren't permanent and he retired as a Sergeant Major (E-9). Awards and decorations that I can figure out from an article on him, this doesn't take into account, unit awards or awards that aren't medals, no slacker that is for sure!

1. Silver Star Medal
2. Bronze Star Medal
3. Purple Heart Medal w/ 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
4. Army Good Conduct Medal
5. American Defense Medal
6. American Theater Campaign Medal
7. European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
8. World War II Victory Medal
9. Army of Occupation Medal (Seen on Ribbon Rack)
10. National Defense Service Medal
11. Korea Service Medal (United States)
12. United Nations Medal

13. French Jubilee of Liberty Medal (Not worn on Military Rack)
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “Militaria, Kits, Belts, Packs, etc”