Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Help with finding who posted this.

ffuries
United States of America

Help with finding who posted this.

#1 Post by ffuries » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Back in 2016, I cross posted to another site seeking additional information, on the following items that a member here had posted.

Here's my post from the other site, made on 13 Jan 2016, hopefully it will ring a bell with someone here.

Was it normal during WWII for aircrews to keep a memento from a crashed aircraft? I am helping a buddy on another forum regarding a treasure trove of memorabilia he acquired. The stuff/letters etc belonged to the Co-Pilot of a B-17 that was shot down on 25 Dec 44 over Czechoslovakia, and spent the rest of the war as a POW. 

One piece has written on it:

Crash B24
Wendover Field, Utah
Co Pilot Killed
March 23 1944

The other piece has written on it:

Homesick Lass
June 25, 1944
England
2 Killed
B 24
844 SQ (Internet search shows 845 SQ) 
489 GP

Obviously after the great surplus rifle outage, this post and others are no longer around per se. Here's the reason I'm interested in that post and asking for yalls help almost 4 years later. Today I received this message on the other site.

"Dear Ffurries - This is amazing. My late grandfather Lt Charles Dwight Darby was on the plane that crashed at Halesworth in June 25, 1944 - the Pilot was Walter Saubert. He survived the crash but most of the crew died. I would give anything to see this piece of material and possibly purchase it for my family. Do you have the contact info for your friend who owns these pieces?"

I have his contact information and will pass it on to the person who has the stuff. It would be awesome if this could happen, even though it might be a longshot.
Attachments
IMG_9847_zpsoqqyaiyl.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Help with finding who posted this.

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 pm

BINGO

See PM, unfortunately it is part of a porvenienced collection going to a local historical society. I traded 2 vintage ford trucks to save this collection. It was being parted out at an antique store and I got most but missed the uniform and hat. Sold before I realized the collections significance. At that time I had no cash so traded my treasures for the collection. I added your information to the post in the 463 Bombardment Group H , 15th Air Force historical forum. PM has the link that you can pass on to requestor. I still have not scanned the letters. :shhh:
NOT FOR TRADE

I do not remember if the recorded oral history by the WI State Historical Society mentions these crashes. The letters, very fragile & have not been read/ or scanned could possibly also reference these crashes. They must have had some personal significance to its owner to actually save & record them. I would assume he knew the crew members.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

ffuries
United States of America

#3 Post by ffuries » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:42 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 pm
BINGO

See PM, unfortunately it is part of a porvenienced collection going to a local historical society. I traded 2 vintage ford trucks to save this collection. It was being parted out at an antique store and I got most but missed the uniform and hat. Sold before I realized the collections significance. At that time I had no cash so traded my treasures for the collection. I added your information to the post in the 463 Bombardment Group H , 15th Air Force historical forum. PM has the link that you can pass on to requestor. I still have not scanned the letters. :shhh:
NOT FOR TRADE

I do not remember if the recorded oral history by the WI State Historical Society mentions these crashes. The letters, very fragile & have not been read/ or scanned could possibly also reference these crashes. They must have had some personal significance to its owner to actually save & record them. I would assume he knew the crew members.
Well I'm glad my memory hasn't gone to total crap, LOL. I sent the individual the link, to the post on site you linked. I'll send his contact information to you via PM, if you wish to contact him about any additional information he can fill in for you.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 pm

thank You.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Militaria, Kits, Belts, Packs, etc”