Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I panographic photo Krags

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

WW I panographic photo Krags

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:43 pm

I picked up a 46 inch long by 8 1/2 inch wide WW I Panographic photo in its original frame with bubbles and waves in the glass that is dated Sept. 4 1918 of the 40th Company , 161st Depot Brigade, Lt H. Dooley Commanding D G that has many soldiers, but they all have 1898 Krag rifles not 1917 Enfields or 1903 Springfields. The photo is huge and soldiers are clearly visible. None of the Krags have slings on them. None of the soldiers have Krag web gear or bayonets. No steel helmets. They all are wearing the felt campaign hat. All have long sleeve shirts, but no summer kaki or green wool tunic coats. They all are wearing canvass leggings.

The View is of the brigade at Camp Grant in Rockford, Illinois-- where the present day Rockford International airport is today. I picked it up because of its original frame and period glass as well as the soldiers holding Krags in the photo. Picture is water stained form storage in a basement. Here are some close up views of details. Camp Grant must have had Krags for training rifles. I wonder how common this was?
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
The title
IMG_1576.JPG
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: WW I panographic photo Krags

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 pm

A very cool photo.
Krags were issued.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Airforce1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:43 am

I have a couple of similar yardlongs with krags from about 1914 or so.

Smokey
United States of America

#4 Post by Smokey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 am

For training of troops in WWI, any serviceable rifle would have been used. M91 Moisin-Nagants were also used. (Those that were not shipped to Russia after the Bolsheviks took over). We still had a fair number of Krags after they were retired from primary issue.

Interestingly, the Krag probably would lasted longer in service if a charger clip were developed for faster reloading. Paratrooper on another forum had a short video using a Swiss GP-11 charger clip with a Krag. In any event, some of the first US troops going overseas still had Krag rifles.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am

A Panographic photo with the soldiers holding Mosins would also be a great find. That I would grab ASAP. Most are shorter, those 46 inch ones are nice because the individuals can be clearly seen. I also have a machine gun company one that is 52 " long. When in a frame with old glass they are very nice. Our local antique store must have about eight of the shorter panographic views some Navy, but most do not show the vets with rifles. My Vietnam one from 1971 USMC shows our group with the new P7 amtract and M48 tank with the guys in the center. The LVT P5s were going out . We were all in our peanut butter class A's with short sleeve shirts for a CG inspection on Okinawa. No rifles. we still had M14 and trench shot guns for guard duty. Last qualification on Okinawa was with a M14. Out on float they had M16s. All the crews are tiny and its only about 18 inches long. Hard to see the faces of the guys on the smaller photos. I am waiting for a USMC WW I with us 1917 enfields, those are hard to find, let alone one with the marines holding rifles. You do not see these at stores too much anymore.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Militaria, Kits, Belts, Packs, etc”