Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Finnish M/19 Puukkopistins

capt14k
United States of America

Finnish M/19 Puukkopistins

#1 Post by capt14k » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:32 am

My M/19 Puukkopistin collection to date. These were designed by the famous Finnish artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela. Originally they were part of the dress uniform for NCO from the rank of Sergeant First Class - Sergeant Major. since they did not wear swords. Often they are referred to as aliupseerin puukkopistin. The original M/19 were longer. In 1922 they were made shorter. Often collectors refer the the shorter puukkopistin as the M/22. At first all had knurled metal handles. A smooth wood handle version came later. The wood handle model were worn by Corporals - Staff Sergeant.

These were so popular that eventually they were worn by the Civil Guard and Police Officers as well. Even Private 1st Class were allowed the smooth handle version.

The puukkopistin were purchased with the uniform by individuals. They were not issued by the Army or Civil Guard. Though they started off as a dress knife they were eventually used as an everyday puukko for for both fighting and general use.

All of mine are the Short M/19 version commonly called M/22. They are a rare find. I have yet to see a M/19 Long Version for sale which are ultra rare. I did see one full rig with the tassels for sale but those are very rare as well.

Initially they were made by German Firms for Finland. I have an example of each of the German Firms that manufactured them. Later Fiskars and Hackman made them. Also there have been some found marked M. KOTSHACK who was a uniform maker. It's not clear if they made the puukkopistin themselves or just had their name stamped on them and they were made by others

Pictured below From left to right Hackman Knurled, Hackman Smooth Wood, Eickhorn, Coppel, WKC, and Hörster. Only the Hörster is unmarked. All are slightly different especially at the pommel where the false button is.

Still looking for a Fiskars Knurled and Smooth Handle and a Kotshack.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

capt14k
United States of America

Re: Finnish M/19 Puukkopistins

#2 Post by capt14k » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:38 am

The maker marks

Hackman & Co Knurled & Smooth

ImageImage

Carl Eickhorn (Squirrel w/ C.E. Initials)

Alex Coppel Solingen (Scale w/ ACS initials)

Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie (Helmet)

E. & F. Hörster (None)

checkmate19
United States of America

#3 Post by checkmate19 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for sharing, Wow this forum has so much interesting stuff. I have a nice US collection but can not make heads or tails of these knives. If we were at a garage sale together and these knives were on the table , you would be buying them while I am looking through a box of sockets .

capt14k
United States of America

#4 Post by capt14k » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:35 am

checkmate19 wrote:Thanks for sharing, Wow this forum has so much interesting stuff. I have a nice US collection but can not make heads or tails of these knives. If we were at a garage sale together and these knives were on the table , you would be buying them while I am looking through a box of sockets .
If you ever find a short one for less than $400 grab it. A long for under $800 grab it as well. Last short I saw sell here was on ebay for $600 and gunboards before that for $450.

Here are some long and short side by side. Found pics on a Russian language forum. Notice the long usually has the rings on the scabbard, but not always.ImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lifeon2
United States of America

#5 Post by lifeon2 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Dam those are nice they sort of remind me a little of the moras

marysdad
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by marysdad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:53 am

Very cool!
worldbayonets.com | Bayonet Collector's Network (BCN) | Society of American Bayonet Collectors | Life Member NRA | C&R FFL

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

Return to “Bayonets, Knives and Swords”