Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Forgotton Weapons TV host shoots with NM MILSURPS

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Forgotton Weapons TV host shoots with NM MILSURPS

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:08 am

Ian McCollum who host “Forgotten Weapons” TV show about shooting old firearms and ordnance was in Albuquerque to do a photo layout on French rifles for his new book. He teamed up with Lebel1886 for this endeavorer as Patric has some of the more rare rifles and carbines in his collection.
Ian was invited to shoot with NM MILSURPS while he was here for our 800 yard match and he accepted.
We as a group also invited him to dinner on Friday March 23 which he did.
Ian is as articulate in person as he is hosting his show and is very knowledgeable on all things that go bang.
On Saturday morning he showed up with his cameras and toured our range and the target scoring system I designed for our 800 yards target.
I offered Ian my M1917 Eddystone rifle and my reloads using a Norma “Super Match” 180 grain bullets to use in the match. Ian owns his own Enfield M1917 and settled right in and let fly with a few sighters and 20 rounds for score.
The sky was clear and bright with only a slight breeze at our man sized torso silhouette target rigged to an electronic flash to scores hits.
Ian did very well as I called the fall of shot and he corrected his hold racking up a 13/20 score taking second place! Well done Mr. McCollum.
Ian had a chance to fire a few other uncommon firearms such as a Winchester 1895 Russian contract 7.62x54R rifle as well as a rare French carbine at various distances.
He filmed his shooting exploits and narrated his results. These images may be in an upcoming episode of his TV show.
He also filmed a few of the club members wailing the 800 target as well.
When the match was done Ian talked with members and was kind enough to do a photo-shoot with the club members. Ian was very much a gentleman the whole time he was here with us and is always invited to shoot with us. We hope he stops by again in the future.
He had fun as did the club’s members on an early spring day that could not have been better.
I will post photos when they are edited and provided to me.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Polock
United States of America

Re: Forgotton Weapons TV host shoots with NM MILSURPS

#2 Post by Polock » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 am

Great! I enjoy the efforts of Ian and Karl both at Forgotten Weapons and their 2 gun action challenge matches. Both seem very competent with firearms and well versed in our local history here in Arizona.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:25 pm

How good was Ian with that P17 Enfield? He beat the two shooters shooting SCOPED Milsurp Sniper rifles with his 13 hits.

Thís Saturday: Bolt rifles against pigs on the 300 Meter rail. One minute from Your first shot to down As many pigs as you can. Shoot fast? Shoot accurate? Gotta do both to win this one.

vandle
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm a big fan of Forgotten Weapons, Ian is very knowledgeable and seems down to earth, what we call down here " a top bloke"
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#5 Post by Cattus Borealis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 pm

vandle wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 pm
I'm a big fan of Forgotten Weapons, Ian is very knowledgeable and seems down to earth, what we call down here " a top bloke"
Ian is a great guy. I have corresponded with him several times and have found him to be knowledgeable and polite.

He actually took one of my ideas for a story and wrote it!

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/reptil ... in-action/

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:41 pm

I just got one of the group photos sent to me. We all competed in the 800 yard match and are shown with the rifles we used. ( Ian is holding a French carbine)
Front row left to right: Robbie, Chris (Ammolab) Ian McCollum, Patrick, Jourg
back row Left to right: Patric, Dawson, Gunny, Diwan, Rapidrob, Mike, Josh
NM MILSURPS 2018.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Shooting Events, Ranges and Locations”