Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

The Spring of 1991

Candyman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

The Spring of 1991

#1 Post by Candyman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:29 pm

While digging through some old boxes I came across a copy of the Daly Star from Hammond LA. dated May 1 1991.
The headline story was about the Marine Reservist unit 3/23, who were still in Kuwait months after the ground war had ended. They said about 1000 Marines remained at the unsanitary encampment called Hill 99. The Marines there liked to call it Hill 13/69. The 13 standing for unlucky and you can guess what the 69 stood for. :lol:
No we didn't have running water and we were still living in holes we had dug but we were far from unsanitary.
Here is the photo that was on the front of the paper.
That is me on the right and Chris Stewart on the left, sitting on a couch that we found. I don't remember what Chris had on his sign, but I was eating some goldfish crackers that had came in the mail.
The photo brought back a flood of memories. The feel, smells and sounds of the Spring of 1991 will be with me forever.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: The Spring of 1991

#2 Post by ffuries » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Cool reminder of days past. When I was younger I would hear the vets talk about the smells that stayed with them. Wasn't until I came in that I understood it, I remember the smell of Kuwait, Oman, Uzbekistan, Bosnia like it was yesterday.

Thank you for your service and sacrifices.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Hammy
United States of America

#3 Post by Hammy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:17 am

My uncle was a Marine tanker on Okinawa, he said mice and their aroma didn't bother him before the war, but he had an intense dislike of them after.
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

sowbelle
United States of America

#4 Post by sowbelle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Thank you for sharing the story
And thank you for your service

Return to “Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories”