Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

How's Deer season gone?

Haris122
United States of America

How's Deer season gone?

#1 Post by Haris122 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Anybody have any luck? I hunted a conservation area this year that I've been to in past years too, with my Yugo M70. Like in past years, I had a tough time seeing anything, but this year was even worse than usual I feel like. I went there for 7 days during the regular MO rifle season (had to work opening weekend), most nearly all day (I kept getting there an hour or so after sunrise), and I only saw 2 deer. It was a doe with a smaller one in tow on the 5th day. It was pretty funny actually, I closed in on the general area where I've been waiting, and then tried to slowly and quietly get to the exact spot, overlooking this little "valley" from one of the ridges, and I'd stop and look around to see if I would notice any movement, when I started hearing leaves stepped on. I look around a bit and see the doe with the fawn behind it, make it's way along the ridge from the same area I came from, just 25-30 yards a little further uphill from me. I decided not to shoot cause of the small one in tow, and in hopes of seeing more deer from then on. That didn't happen. I was quite interested in seeing how the PPU softpoints that I opted to hunt with this year would do, compared to the poorer quality hollowpoints I used in past years, but no luck yet. Here in Missouri they still have an antlerless season as well, and I should be free to go at least one more day during that, so hopefully I'll see some more of them that day, and get a shot. I feel like I'd almost have to see several of them in order to bother pulling the trigger on them, as they seem so rare to me at that place. I hear of people seeing 5 or more deer each day they've been out (not specifically there), and that just seems crazy to me nowadays. I'd call it a good season if I'd have 4 separate sightings of them the entire time I'm out there.

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: How's Deer season gone?

#2 Post by sowbelle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:10 pm

You need to come to Georgia
we are mowing them down on the highways
Not good for Hot Rodders

Haris122
United States of America

#3 Post by Haris122 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm

They’re actually pretty common here, but not as much so on public conservation areas where anyone can go rifle hunt, especially after opening weekend. First day I almost hit 2 with the car on my way to hunt, and numerous other days I saw them in random fields on the side of the highway as I went to or from the conservation area. But running into them at the actual conservation area was a different story.

hardcore
United States of America

#4 Post by hardcore » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:34 am

i was a hunter and fisherman untill i gave up eating animals or anything from animal products for the last 2 years.

now i feed the deer and the fish at my camp.
Attachments
IMG_0404.JPG

M67
Slovenia

#5 Post by M67 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:20 am

Great! 80 m, 7x57R. Chech rifle ZH 304, scope Carl Zeiss Jena 4x32. 0 m from the hit. Old gray male.
Attachments
sivcek.jpg
Pac 19JUN2017.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Hammerdown
United States of America

#6 Post by Hammerdown » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:47 am

M67 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:20 am
Great! 80 m, 7x57R. Chech rifle ZH 304, scope Carl Zeiss Jena 4x32. 0 m from the hit. Old gray male.
M67 what species of deer is that? We have White tail deer in Pennsylvania USA, that is a common name of them and are a lot larger bodied animal. I'm not trying to be braggadocious I'm just not familiar with that species.
Attachments
100_0005.JPG
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

M67
Slovenia

#7 Post by M67 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Roe deer (From Wikipedia)

Capreolus capreolus
Male (buck) and female (doe) roe deer

The European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), also known as the western roe deer, chevreuil, or simply roe deer or roe, is a species of deer. The male of the species is sometimes referred to as a roebuck. The roe deer is relatively small, reddish and grey-brown, and well-adapted to cold environments. The species is widespread in Europe, from the Mediterranean to Scandinavia, from Ireland to the Caucasus, and east to northern Iran and Iraq. It is distinct from the somewhat larger Siberian roe deer.

Within Europe, the European roe deer occurs in most areas, with the exception of northernmost Scandinavia (north of Narvik) and some of the islands, notably Iceland, Ireland, and the Mediterranean Sea islands; in the Mediterranean region, it is largely confined to mountainous regions, and is absent or rare at low altitudes. Scottish roe deer were introduced to the Lissadell Estate in Co. Sligo in Ireland around 1870 by Sir Henry Gore-Booth, Bt.

In England and Wales, roe have experienced a substantial expansion in their range in the latter half of the 20th century and continuing into the 21st century. This increase in population also appears to be affecting woodland ecosystems.
German colonial administrators introduced roe deer to the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia. They are hunted by locals in very steep and heavily vegetated terrain. The meat is openly sold in markets and restaurants in Kolonia, the capital city of Pohnpei and the Federated States of Micronesia.

Roe deer were introduced also to Australia.

The roe deer is distinct from the somewhat larger Siberian roe deer (Capreolus pygargus) found from the Ural Mountains to as far east as China and Siberia. The two species meet at the Caucasus Mountains, with the European species occupying the southern flank of the mountain ranges and adjacent Asia Minor, and the Siberian species occupying the northern flank of the mountain ranges.

Physical appearance: The roe deer is a relatively small deer, with a body length of 95–135 cm (3.1–4.4 ft), a shoulder height of 65–75 cm (2.1–2.5 ft), and a weight of 15–35 kg (33–77 lb).[10] Bucks in good conditions develop antlers up to 20–25 cm (8–10 in) long with two or three, rarely even four, points. When the male's antlers begin to regrow, they are covered in a thin layer of velvet-like fur which disappears later on after the hair's blood supply is lost. Males may speed up the process by rubbing their antlers on trees, so that their antlers are hard and stiff for the duels during the mating season. Unlike most cervids, roe deer begin regrowing antlers almost immediately after they are shed.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Hammerdown
United States of America

#8 Post by Hammerdown » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:20 pm

M67 thank you for the info and congratulations on a successful hunt. I'm sure he will give you a few nice meals.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

Paswissshooter1
United States of America

#9 Post by Paswissshooter1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Took a doe during the early pa muzzleloader antlerless season. Tomorrow is opening day of rifle, Buck only with a 3 point up rule in my area (2A), Antlerless comes in on Saturday.

Smokey
United States of America

#10 Post by Smokey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

A friend set up on my property, lots of tracks, captured a nice 8-point buck in his camera, never saw one in person.
:cry:
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#11 Post by Airforce1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:13 pm

I got 2 possums squatting in the cat house. Not deer but still the most shooting I've got in all year.

CZVZ
United States of America

#12 Post by CZVZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 am

IMG_20181109_161000.jpg
Got this fat and sassy doe/134 lbs. with a Carcano in 7.35 the second weekend of deer season. Approximatly at 45 yards complete passthrough.

CZVZ

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#13 Post by Reverend Mauser » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I shot a button buck last week--mistook it for a doe.

Hunting this weekend to fill the buck tag.

Haris122
United States of America

#14 Post by Haris122 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 am

I went back out the sole day I could go for antlerless season and it turned into another day of not seeing them. Oh well, hoping for a better next year.

Return to “Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories”